Cold Weather Chain Oiling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Hackemoff

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We've all poured a molasses-like substance out of the gallon of bar and chain oil at low temps (below freezing).

Recently I cut up a downed tree with my old saw in 30 degree temps and noticed afterward that the chain was hanging quite a bit afterward, like it had been over heated (maybe). It was a well broken in chain. I've seen that before a number of times.

It's probably true that the cold, slow-flowing-to-the-chain oil will slowly warm up as the engine disperses heat and flow better. But while I am willing to risk the slight extra wear on an old bar and chain, I want to keep my new MS660M pristine as long as possible, without stressing the chain during the initial cutting period.

Preheating the saw (in the house or warm truck cab) is probably the best answer. But can I safely cheat by switching to 5W30 in low temps? It pours about the same in cold weather as bar oil flows in warm. Well, maybe not as well but much better than bar oil.

Any comments would be appreciated....

try olive oil... at least you will smell like something is cooking... Don't forget that the moble synthetic is cheep enough to use as bar oil...

Sounds like a typical clueless, so called tech person to me!

Rockinme,
kero is good but fuel oil works best, expecialy before a date..

The Professor Has Spoken
You may all bow now....

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
Add a dribble of kerosene to the bar lube to thin it. Or a few drops of mix gas in the oil tank if you don't have kerosene around. Or keep your bar lube jug in the cab of the truck shoved up next to the heater vent.

Mix gas in an oil tank? Now that's the most asinine irresponsible and dangerous advice one could post Rocky J. Why don't you advise a climber to use a Wal-Mart belt for a lanyard next?

Go ahead and use that 5-W30 hackemoff but you wanted to keep that bar and chain in optimum shape did you not? Spend a few dollars and buy the right bar oil.

Kerosene, motor oil, olive oil ?
Are you serious ?
If you have run a saw for any extended periods in sub-zero
temperatures you will know that this is not an issue.
Bar oil does not need to be thinned during winter.
As soon as the saw heats up, the bar oil will be heated too
and float just as nice as in mid-summer. And you do not
want to start cutting while the saw is cold anyway.
I know this since we have been running our saws in -30 deg.
Celsius (-22 deg. Fahrenheit) with no problems.

Forget the bar oil...

"I want to keep my new MS660M pristine as long as possible, "

I would definitlely stop cutting wood then. That can't be to good for the saw.;)

Very funny Newfie et al...

Unfortunately I can't stop cutting to keep said saw pristine.

A. Now that it's snowing, I'm giving away firewood left and right (sorry I'm a softie, and also it might be a good way to attract quality chicks);

B. My theromostat reads 77 degrees 42 feet away across the room from the fireplace (can't beat the heating ); and

C. I love running this new sum????? 660 too much, even tho it's heavy. I WILL mod the muffler/exhaust next spring per forum protocol (life is too short to keep the sword in the sheath).

Thanks to the forum for the replies. I am much wiser.

Your greatest fan,
Dr. Hackemoff

o come on now doc,,u aint never gonna get that thing looking, like my saws,, if u dont use it to do what ever it takes.:)

Back