Cold weather recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spudzone

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've got a new husky 450, purchased 07/2008. I've got a bunch of small to med (up to 20" +/-) newly cut red oak that I'd like to buck into splittable pieces over this winter. I'm in N. Wisconsin and would be cutting during the daytime with temps from the single digits to the teens and twenties. The saw has been a champ this past summer and fall. What do you suggest for cold weather performance ie: bar oil, fuel mix, air intake cover, etc???

Thanks
Chris

i don't know much about husqvarna but your owner's manual sure would

Use a winter blend bar oil, richen up the air/fuel mixture a bit, close the shutter if you saw has that feature and give your saw plenty of warm-up time before you start cutting.
You also want to make sure that you dont dress too warm. If you dress so warm that you start to sweat while working, when you stop working you will get cold and clammy and you run a serious risk of hypothermia.

i have cut in -40c weather lots. just use the husky winter kit. its 2 peices of plastic. one peice replaces the black boot by the flywheel that directs fresh air to the carb with a big blue one that directs warmer air off the cylinder to the carb. the other peice of plastic covers up the bottom half of the fly wheel intake to keep snow from flying inside of it.
the witnerkit will dirty up your air filter so fast you would swear it was a stihl. so make sure you clean it every couple of tanks.

also use medium or light chain oil.
if your bar is warm to the touch the whole time your cutting you should be able to get away with medium. if the bar is so cold your toung sticks to it when you lick it then you better use light oil.

also you will have to retune your carb for the witner season of cutting. as the cold air will lean the saw out a small amount.

Examples?

I've seen lots of threads that mention winter/cold weather bar oil, but I never have seen any of these products. Does anyone have a name or link to one of these? I don't want to concoct my own blend if I don't have to.

Last edited:
I've seen lots of threads that mention winter/cold weather bar oil, but I never have seen any of these products. Does anyone have a name or link to one of these? I don't want to concoct my own blend if I don't have to.

Most saw dealers in the colder climates [below freezing] sell summer, winter chainoil [Stihl : heavy, medium, light]. I see Husqvarna here in Canada sells a all season chainoil, I feel it is a little too light for hot summer conditions though.

Most saw dealers in the colder climates [below freezing] sell summer, winter chainoil [Stihl : heavy, medium, light]. I see Husqvarna here in Canada sells a all season chainoil, I feel it is a little too light for hot summer conditions though.

That's just it. In western PA, we don't have many extremely cold (say, below 10°F) days, so I don't see different grades in stores/dealers. I've heard of those various Stihl grades, but I can't find them on the Sthil website or anywhere else. Maybe my google-fu is not working so well.

I've been using Husqvarna Premium because it's convenient for me to get at the nearby Tractor Supply store and it's usually just under USD$10/gal. It pours really thick and stringy at 30°F or less.

Last edited:
I've got a new husky 450, purchased 07/2008. I've got a bunch of small to med (up to 20" +/-) newly cut red oak that I'd like to buck into splittable pieces over this winter. I'm in N. Wisconsin and would be cutting during the daytime with temps from the single digits to the teens and twenties. The saw has been a champ this past summer and fall. What do you suggest for cold weather performance ie: bar oil, fuel mix, air intake cover, etc???

Thanks
Chris

Read the user manual! :jawdrop:

[QUOT#=Tr##Point#r;1260594]Th#t'# ju#t it. In ###t#rn P#, ## don't h#v# m#ny #xtr#m#ly #old (##y, b#lo# 10°F) d#y#, #o I don't ### diff#r#nt gr#d## in #tor##/d##l#r#. I'v# h##rd of tho## v#riou# #tihl gr#d##, but I ##n't find th#m on th# #thil ##b#it# or #ny#h#r# #l##. M#yb# my googl#-fu i# not #orking #o ##ll.

I'v# b##n u#ing Hu#qv#rn# Pr#mium b###u## it'# #onv#ni#nt for m# to g#t #t th# n##rby Tr##tor #upply #tor# #nd it'# u#u#lly ju#t und#r U#D$10/g#l. It pour# r##lly thi#k #nd #tringy #t 30°F or l###.[/QUOT#]

Find # R##L #tihl d##l#r #nd g#t #om# b#r oil in th# blu# jug. It# th# only pl### th#t I'v# found #int#r ##ight oil h#r# in P#. #ur#, it #o#t# # bit mor# th#n Poul#n(doubl#) but ho# oft#n #r# you #utting in #old ###th#r? # #oupl# o' g#llon# #hould hold you for # #hil#.

Lets say we now have our light grade bar oil, saw converted over to winter operation. Now to dig out the cold weather [nearby lake is froze over] work clothes. My favorite: One piece grey wool long john underwear, wool socks,green nylon safety pants, poly filled vest [not goose down], polyester long sleeved shirt, leather mitts with trigger finger on right hand mitt,wool one finger mitt liners,steel toe rubber bottom leather upper felt lined bush pac boots or Nokia orange bottoms with Bama sock-ets,helmet with muffs and screen, leave the safety glasses at home because they will fog up anyways.LOL.:)

Spud,

I'm across the pond from ya, temps are about the same even if we get more snow from the lake(Trade ya!).

I ain't an exspurt, but this is my annual sw fiddling regimen.

Husky sells a lighter winter blend Bar oil as does Stihl. Both work great down to zero, but I can't vouch for below that. When it gets below zero, I often have other projects in the Barn that seem to take priority.;)

When it starts getting cold(About now) you're gonna have to tweak the High and low settings anyhow, just set the high a smidge rich, and low just to the point the idle drops on the rich side.

When you start the saw, let it idle or hold it just above idle for a minuite or two for a couple minuites. Let it get warm, and let the clutch and chain get warmed without a load. Kinda like foreplay.;)

I havn't tried the cold weather kits yet, no need as far as I can tell.
If it gets too dadgum cold, out I'll pick a better day in the teens or warmer.

A big +1 on not over dressing and getting frothed up.

An underlayer of Polypropelene long skivvies, a carhart jacket, and Mil-surp ECWS bibs or pants is all I need to stay toasty when working in the cold.
Ya can't sit still long, but then it's an incentive to keep moving.

Eyepro can be a bit of a pain with fogging up, so pick a hat without a bill.
I hate it when the glasses fog, and then freeze up!

The vented Gargoyles look goofy(Buddy Holly gone 80's new wave) but do vent well, and the Oakley M-frame with a lens that is more open like "Sweeps" work well for me.

Am still looking for good winter gloves.

Holler if you find something that really works.

Good luck to ya, and mind that Manitou!
Dingeryote

been on the hash, have we?

Ha ha ,my employee has the same problem, every now and then I catch him at the end of the day sneaking a little toke behind the truck. I fired him a couple of times years back for toking at the start of the work day ,so I guess he has turned for the better. I find a MELLOW employee is easier to work with then a grumpy one.
:smoking:

been on the hash, have we?

I have no idea as to what happened. The post looked good on my computer, but posted as jibberish. Not only that, but the other topics looked the same way, so I logged off AS, and went to Ebay where all appeared fine. Back to AS, and all looks fine except for my reply.:confused:

lol. Computers do some funny things. Mine locks out my kb and I have to restart Gnome and log back in ... very annoying.

Latest posts

Back