Comments?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw a lot of stuff like that in new zealand. In the south island there's quite a bit of crystal meth usage in the smaller crews, there isn't much regulation. Very different story on the bigger crews. I don't consider myself a slouch, but some of those guys would do 4 or 5 trees to my one. I felt like I was going in slow motion watching them. Kinda different to this guy at the same time though, he's just amped. Some of the guys I watched working in NZ were really in the zone. Not a wasted breath or movement, absolutely nailing it. They usually got in trouble coming down off whatever combination of things they were taking, or mixing them with alcohol and other drugs after work. Wasn't unusual for someone not to turn up because he was in jail the next day. Most memorable day for me was turning up to work one day and one of the guys accidentally cut his own nipple off with some lopping shears. Man I felt that! He just laughed, and flicked the cut off nipple at another guy on the crew who picked it up and flicked it at another guy who caught it and licked it. He wrapped some gaffa tape round his chest and racked up about 3 and a half times my tally that day, don't think he even felt it.

I saw a lot of stuff like that in new zealand. In the south island there's quite a bit of crystal meth usage in the smaller crews, there isn't much regulation. Very different story on the bigger crews. I don't consider myself a slouch, but some of those guys would do 4 or 5 trees to my one. I felt like I was going in slow motion watching them. Kinda different to this guy at the same time though, he's just amped. Some of the guys I watched working in NZ were really in the zone. Not a wasted breath or movement, absolutely nailing it. They usually got in trouble coming down off whatever combination of things they were taking, or mixing them with alcohol and other drugs after work. Wasn't unusual for someone not to turn up because he was in jail the next day. Most memorable day for me was turning up to work one day and one of the guys accidentally cut his own nipple off with some lopping shears. Man I felt that! He just laughed, and flicked the cut off nipple at another guy on the crew who picked it up and flicked it at another guy who caught it and licked it. He wrapped some gaffa tape round his chest and racked up about 3 and a half times my tally that day, don't think he even felt it.

And that's exactly what makes those junkies dangerous. They don't feel anything.

Woodlot cowboys..

Was that in a thinning or logging outfit?

That particular incident was on a small mixed crew doing thinning and pruning. I've seen the same kinda hijinks on falling crews though, but you're right it's only on the smaller cowboy crews this stuff seems rampant and more the norm than the exception. The bigger outfits are pretty much above board and have all the stuff the smaller guys don't; heavy equipment, safety meetings, documented work processes, insurance etc etc

I think it feels a bit like a stunt just for the camera. The one who's filming it said something like "it's impossible to cut down this area in 5 minutes"
-I can do it, the duracell-logger said, wanna bet?

After watching that video I finally understand the advantage of that sideways balance on those huskies.

In fact I could tell just from the first few cuts that there was perfect sideways balance going on there. :laugh:

Mr. HE:cool:

I've known people who were geniuses and they were one step into a psych ward.
That covers just about everyone I know who spends significant time on the side of a hill putting wood on the ground. Bless'em all.

They sound Austrian to me.

I don't know what's going on, but Curly has it coming. There's another video of him topping a Spruce without wearing a helmet or an eye protection. Good thing is he won't have to spend euros to get his hair trimmed.

All I care is, whenever he gets hit, I won't be anywhere near.

I'm thinking he's too dumb to be scared. Granted dude can climb a tree like a squirrel, but he does some really stupid **** with his flip line, like letting it get low on the knees and then not hanging onto it as he spins around the tree... its a good way to do a back flip.

I'm thinking he's too dumb to be scared. Granted dude can climb a tree like a squirrel, but he does some really stupid **** with his flip line, like letting it get low on the knees and then not hanging onto it as he spins around the tree... its a good way to do a back flip.

Yeah I agree, I've actually seen a guy go upside down that way. I just will never understand guys climbing without a hardhat either. Macho ******** I guess, but it makes them look like amateurs. Take pride in how you present yourself on the job man!

Yeah I agree, I've actually seen a guy go upside down that way. I just will never understand guys climbing without a hardhat either. Macho ******** I guess, but it makes them look like amateurs. Take pride in how you present yourself on the job man!
Nah mate. Take pride in how the wood you put on the ground looks and getting to the end of the job without wrecking too much gear or spending too much time in A&E. This ain't a fashion parade.

All that and only one tape?
Health and safety have abducted him and are undertaking various experiments. Already, they've managed to add another 10 pages to their safety manuals and 15 clauses into health and safety regs. The first jobs they want to be safe are their own.

Back