compact tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I traded up to a JD 3520 last fall. Great with the bush hog, stout with the bucket, and runs well. I really like the cruse contort for mowing. I added a rock bucket that stays on most of the time.

JD is a little pricy but they are good tractors.

Hal

JD are expensive but they maintain their value and they don't break down. I am approaching 2000 hours on my 2005 - JD3320. Very few problems. There were a few warrantied issues in the first two years. Since then all I have done is change fluids and filters. As others have mentioned the Kubotas are also excellent machines.

So you already have a 4300 lb. skidsteer.

What does you skidsteer do that you want a tractor to do better?

What would be the PRIMARY function of the tractor?

What type of mowing? Brush cutting fields? Finish mowing a lawn? How large an area?

You can get a good answer to your original question, but you need to provide more input.

Last edited:
Weight is what you want - weight gives you traction. Horsepower is needed for certain implements but not for others. Stay away from Kubota B models unless you're transporting them - they're nice machines but they're built like big lawn mowers and light for easy transportation, which is why the landscapers use them (sorry to step on people's toes - no offense intended). Get either ag tread or industrial tread tires. Ag tread have a bit more traction. Industrial tread load up easier but are thicker. Get the tires filled for more traction. Love my Kioti LK3054 shuttle shift.

tractor

I would go with something in the 50 - 70 hp range - I had a little kubota and it was a great tractor but did not have the loader capacity and or the weight for moving logs around, I traded it on a JD 5400 with a loader(68hp) . its not much bigger in size but I have a 3pt lifting capacity of 3300lbs and a loader that can pick up 2800lbs - plus I have remotes for running implements. The tractor weighs in around 8k with the rear tires loaded and no wheel weights on it.

I think a lot of the tractors mentioned are sub compact tractors- They are great for light duty stuff but

you can find a nice used tractor for way less than new and in good condition - I snagged mine for 10k

I would stay away from cab tractors when working in the woods -open stations are best suited for this type of work.

Last edited:
When I was shopping for a tractor I went to tractorhouse.com to determine what the going prices were for almost any make or model of tractor. It is a big site and has more than just tractors.

I've put close to 100 hours on a JD4720 in the past 3 weeks. mid 60's hp wise. It's a bit big for getting around in the woods, but for working at the edge of the field, it's great. Enclosed cab, grapple bucket, etc. I had to partially clear 6.5 acres for a landowner (saving close to 200 up to 20' tall Oaks and Maples in the process) that was chock full of River Birch from 2" dbh to 20" dbh. Monday and Tuesday I dropped 100 trees into the field from 10" dbh to 20" dbh, basically cut them into 1/2 or 1/3rds and burned the tops. Without the grapple bucket, I think those 2 days would have turned into a week plus. The 3-point is the i-match system, and that makes changing attachments easy and quick.

I have a smaller Kubota (18 hp), and the smaller tractor wouldn't have been big enough for this job. The grapple bucket makes a HUGE difference in the amount of work that can be done! I was able to mow (72" finish mower) about an acre an hour, slower than expected due to the rough terrain. This next week I'll have a Harley Rake behind it and the ground will be smoothed out prior to re-planting.

Just got off the phone with the BIL.

He went out and bought a new Kubota and is selling thier older Case 4610 with cab and HEPA/AC.

I thought about this thread, because it isn't exactly a CUT, but not much bigger dimension wise, and a hell of a lot more stout than most of the oversized lawnmowers passed off as tractors by Kubota and Deere.

Plenty narrow for getting between the trees, and yet not too narrow for a loader, though it would likely tear the hell out of a lawn.
Not too many impliments will need more grunt than 45hp unless you are running a big sprayer or flail chopper.

Dunno if you have too many orchard tractors used around there or not, but it's something to consider, as 5K will get a good amount of tractor.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Last edited:
I often run a 1999 JD4600. It's on the large end of what JD considers "compact utility." Definitely not subcompact utility.
- 43 hp, 4 cylinder Yanmar diesel.
- 2/4WD hydrostatic transmission
- 35 hp PTO
- JD460 FEL max is ~3000 lbs and 1700 lbs at max height (before subtracting attachment weight)

What I've run on it: 60" & 72" brush cutter, 84" finish mower, 72" box blade, 64" & 72" rear snow blower, 6' front bucket, front pallet forks

As currently configured, distance between outside of tires is 64". I usually have to find a path for firewooding, but I often can get where I want in mature woods. Most of the time I can skid logs from a logging path. The bigger issue is steep hills.

SugMapleScoreRSZ001.jpg

splittertractor.jpg

jd4600-winter09.jpg

Last edited:
That's a hell of a machine!

I often run a 1999 JD4600. It's on the large end of what JD considers "compact utility." Definitely not subcompact utility.
- 43 hp, 4 cylinder Yanmar diesel.
- 2/4WD hydrostatic transmission
- 35 hp PTO
- JD460 FEL max is ~3000 lbs and 1700 lbs at max height (before subtracting attachment weight)

What I've run on it: 60" & 72" brush cutter, 84" finish mower, 72" box blade, 64" & 72" rear snow blower, 6' front bucket, front pallet forks

As currently configured, distance between outside of tires is 64". I usually have to find a path for firewooding, but I often can get where I want in mature woods. Most of the time I can skid logs from a logging path. The bigger issue is steep hills.

SugMapleScoreRSZ001.jpg

splittertractor.jpg

jd4600-winter09.jpg

A buddy of mine has one.

I had a Mahindra 3316.

It was an amazing tractor. I did some crazy stuff with it. I had a grapple on the front for my tree service. I liked the crazy hills it would climb. It seemed to have a lower center of gravity than everything else I looked at. I beat it pretty hard for the 400 hours I had it and never had any problems.

I have a JD 4410 with a backhoe, belly mower, front loader and forks attachment. The forks are great for carrying brush and logs. I use the backhoe for jobs around the farm.

I just picked up a used 2010 Bobcat CT-235 TL (tractor, loader) 300 something hrs on it. It was the dealers demo unit $12,600 with the remainder of warrentee. He is also letting me "demo" the 6' backhoe that came on it untill he finds a home for it. Sweet deal.

It came with the pin-on front bucket with a bit of abuse on it. I will be buying the quick-attach mounting plate and a heavier duty bucket for it.

I thought it would have a little sharper turning raduis, but I never used one before. The only real complaint I have is the rocker HST pedal is a pain in my ankle. I'm going to add a block on the front of the pedal to see if that helps.

I just picked up a used 2010 Bobcat CT-235 TL (tractor, loader) 300 something hrs on it. It was the dealers demo unit $12,600 with the remainder of warrentee. He is also letting me "demo" the 6' backhoe that came on it untill he finds a home for it. Sweet deal.

It came with the pin-on front bucket with a bit of abuse on it. I will be buying the quick-attach mounting plate and a heavier duty bucket for it.

I thought it would have a little sharper turning raduis, but I never used one before. The only real complaint I have is the rocker HST pedal is a pain in my ankle. I'm going to add a block on the front of the pedal to see if that helps.
That Bobcat is actually a Kioti tractor - nice unit. I have to point out that on compact tractor forums the brand wars border on religious fanaticism, as does the gear drive/hydrostatic debate. It gets tiresome. The Mahindra tractors are also very impressive - Mahindra is a very large tractor company.

My Kioti is gear drive, and it has separate brake peddles so you can turn it sharper if you have to - but it tears things up badly that way. Having the loader sticking out the front often badly limits maneuvrability anyway.

Everything is a trade off somewhere along the line. My skidder does fine but in some areas it is just too heavy. I do not have tracks and can see that as an advantage for some areas also. Clearance is another issue that rears its ugly head more often than not. I am not real brand specific but supporting dealership in a reasonable range is a must.

Yeah, a tradeoff is a great way of thinking about it. For me, I concluded that it's not possible to get a tractor that excels in firewood tasks (and other heavy activities) and makes my lawn look the way I want it. That's why I also have a much less expensive riding mower for finishing my lawn.

Back