Comparing Husky 55R to Stihl MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G.R. Aydelotte

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, but not to using chainsaws. I've used a 1978 Stihl 031 for cutting firewood since it was new (great saw), but that saw belongs to my brother. I'm going to buy a new saw for myself, and I plan on spending about $350 max for a saw that would be used to clean up some wooded land and cut firewood. Some of the trees I would be falling would be 12-24" in diameter. I'm getting pretty close to buying either a Husky 55R or a Stihl 290. Here's my rough comparison:

Husky 55R Stihl 290
53cc 3.4 hp 56.5cc 3.75 hp
magnesium crankcase <> plastic crankcase
metal housing around sprocket<> plastic? housing
rim sprocket <> spur sprocket
inboard mounted sprocket <> outboard sprocket
"air injection" <> no air injection
? 2 piston rings (not sure) <> 2 piston rings
worth rebuilding <> not worth rebuild
3/8 chain only <> 3/8 and .325 chain
18-20" bar <> 16-24" bar
front chain tensioner <> side chain tens.
non adjustable auto oiler <> adj. auto oiler
11.4 lbs. powerhead <> 13.2 lbs powerhead
2 year warranty lifecignition<> 1 year warr. ign?
dealer 15 miles <> dealer 3 miles
$349. no discount <> $309. no discount

I'm leaning toward the Husky 55R, partly because this forum doesn't have much bad to say about them vs the Stihl 290 which some people think is a cheap consumer saw. I'm looking for a troublefree and long lasting saw-one that will be with me in 20 years, one that I can work on for sprocket and chain replacement and routine maintenance.Our 031 Stihl has been a good one, but I'm not sure about the new ones-don't like all that plastic. Some of my info is from techs at both dealers. I wish the Husky 55R would run both a .325 and 3/8 chain and 16-24 bar. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gregg

Welcome to the site. I dont have to much to say about these two saws, other than I think you can get a better saw than either of these for a little more money. I know you said you had a $350 max but how often do we buy chainsaws? Go ahead and spend a little extra money and get a pro saw.

But to answer your question, of those two saws I would go with the 55R. I havent heard a bad thing about them yet, other than they may lack a little power. Again welcome to the site.

Rob

Welcome GR, I would buy the 55 over the 290. You can set that 55 up to run either chain, 3/8 or .325. I agree with Weatherby though, save your lunch money another month and buy a 357.;)

Of the two, I'd go with the 55R. Couple of points, though. That price on the Husky seems pretty high. Most dealers list them at about $320. Available on the web for under $300 w/shipping. See if you can't work on the dealer a little. The 55R comes with a spur sprocket, too, but it's easy enough to change out to a .325" rim sprocket from a 55 (requiring a bar change, too). See if your dealer won't let you swap bars out if you change sprockets. You could install a 24" bar, just like the 029, but I wouldn't recommend it on either. If you need a 24" bar, I'd get a 372 or 044. I think the Husky has 1 ring, but this shouldn't be a factor in your decision, IMO. 2 rings aren't necessarily better, regardless of what the Stihl ad people say. Lot's of the Husky XP saw run 1 ring. Another saw in this class that 's worth searching for is the John Deere CS56 (relabled Efco 956). Available on the web for $300. Should be in your price range locally, and better than either of the above (4.1hp).
Let us know what you decide.

Hi Gregg, so you`re a Swede, huh. Very close to being from God`s land, Norway, LOL. I too would choose the 55R and it can easily run .325 chain as the others have pointed out, and which I would suggest. 24" bar on either of these saws is really stretching it`s limitations unless you are merely running a long bar for reach on smaller stuff. If you decided to spend more and get a 357xp you will never regret your decision but the 55 is a very good saw. Remember that sharp chain is the key to everything good with chainsaws. Russ

I agree with Weatherby though, save your lunch money another month and buy a 357.

Wolf_River_Mike,

Thanks for the second on the 357. What about a 346?

GR

"Hi Gregg, so you`re a Swede, huh. Very close to being from God`s land, Norway,"

Jokers,

Well, my ancestry is mixed and I believe I do have some Norwegian in me, but "Swede" is a nickname one of my highschool buddies gave me. I always thought God's land was East Tennessee, USA ;-).
Very glad to find this forum, though I'm mostly a lurker. Never knew there was so much to consider about buying a chainsaw, but I like to get good stuff that will last.

GR/Swede

The 346 is a great saw and can be found for around $350 if im not mistaken, but if you want to run around a 20" bar I suggest the 357, if just has more grunt for that longer bar. Im sure the stihl guys will chime in here shortly and recommend one of their saws as well. Jonsered is also another option, as I see some discussion of the 2149 in another thread. Good luck to you, im sure youll enjoy anything you get. But just make sure you keep saving and have it modified and youll never go back to a stock saw.

Rob

I recently purchased a 346xp Via Mail order. Spend a little extra on the Pro "XP" model. You will thank me later. The carbs on the "XPs" have both a HI and Lo jet screws unlike the Stil Pieces of $hit. Do a little reseach on this site there a lot of good info and hands on experiences with saw problems. The Ship has sailed on Stil by the way stand clear.

A 357xp would make a good all around saw for most folks. The 346xp is more of a limber. Now you get one of the saw builders on this site to modify that 357xp and, well, you may never have lunch money again. :)

Today, I bought a Husky 55R new and on sale for $270. Can't wait to use it this weekend on some red oak firewood. I appreciate the advice to buy a 346 or 357XP, and I almost did. Thinking about what I'll use this saw for, I believe that the 55R was a good overall choice (on the boderline of the pro saws maybe) and a darn good deal. Also, I sort of wanted to be different and buy the Husky since many around my area use and recommend Stihl-mostly on farms. I met a sawmill owner who used only Huskys, including the 55R and the biggest model a 3120?. It doesn't seem that we have trees that big around here-maybe he's from somewhere else. Man, I'm really fire up about the new saw. Now, can it be modified for more performance?

GR/Swede

That`s great Gregg, you should be very happy. The best bang for the buck modification is to do the muffler, search the archives here and you should find more than you ever wanted to know. Russ

G.R.,make sure you check all of the nuts and bolts on that thing between fill ups.I get them the shop all the time with missing this and that stuff.I got three sitting a box with scorched pistons also.So,mix at 32.1 ratio might be advisable to.I two would have told you to get the 357xp.

"Gregg,
I agree that you should move up just a hair on the saw size & displacement, but I wouldn't buy a saw from either of those dealers. Neither seems to know his product very well."

WRW,

Thanks for pointing that out. What info is wrong?

TIA,
GR/Swede

As others have noted, the Husky can be had with either pitch chain. A dealer worth his salt could point that out.
The Stihl has a recommended bar size of 16"-20", not 24". It is also rebuildable, though some dealers would rather not bother with it. If I'm not mistaken, that spur sprocket can be changed out for a rim sprocket at the first changeout.
You made a good purchase. Keep the chain sharp and keep up the maintenance. You'll be happy with your purchase.
By the way, that adjustable oiler is just to cut back on oil consumption. Most just leave it at the full setting.

Back