Cord of Firewood???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also selling wood by pickup truck is legal in my part of Ohio. Pretty common method of selling it.

Have to disagree, state law says firewood may only be sold by cord or fraction of a cord measurements in Ohio. Truckload, rick, etc are not acceptable measurements in Ohio. Its common around here for truckload sales also, its just that our f:censored:ing lazy auditors office won't enforce the law (I've asked). If you advertise your truckload as a third or half a cord, that's legal. I sell hundreds of cords a year and about half my customers get 1/2 cord for their fireplace, and half buy multiple cords for woodstove heat.

Selling wood in Ohio is illegal if sold by the truckload?

i think he was saying that many people were selling a pick-up truck full as a full cord of wood.

Have to disagree, state law says firewood may only be sold by cord or fraction of a cord measurements in Ohio. Truckload, rick, etc are not acceptable measurements in Ohio. Its common around here for truckload sales also, its just that our f:censored:ing lazy auditors office won't enforce the law (I've asked). If you advertise your truckload as a third or half a cord, that's legal. I sell hundreds of cords a year and about half my customers get 1/2 cord for their fireplace, and half buy multiple cords for woodstove heat.

That is pretty much standard terms in any state that regulates wood sales. The problem is not in 'no enforcement' but that the weights and measures people only respond when a customer complains. Thus the sellers can get away with shorting customers by 'truckload, etc.' for years.

Harry K

So just what is wrong with selling the customer "1/3 cord"? That way you are in compliance with any regs that apply and you aren't using a measure that was designed to fleece customers.

Harry K

Abohac is correct, for Michigan anyway. We (and our customers) know the difference in a full cord and what everyone here calls a face cord.

Yeah, yeah, yeah..............."face cord", "rick", "ruck", "tick" I've heard all the arguments about there being no defining specs for these terms.

It's understood a "cord" here is 4' X 4' X 8' and you have to cut it yourself. You're bying LOGS. We also call these "Pole" Cords.

A face cord is simply 4' high and 8' long or around 32 square feet and is cut to length normally 16"-18" or whatever your customer wants. A "face cord" here is running 55$ and YOU pick it up.

Never ripped anyone off on wood, just a sideline so I can buy more logs to cut and split more wood so I can sell it around cost. Keeps me in shape and out of the bars...................truth be known I give enough wood away to single moms etc that I'll never be rich.

How many people in Ohio are selling firewood legally anyway?

Firewood Dealer
Must be able to do one of the following:
o Exclude all ash tree material from the firewood production area. Dealers will have
to demonstrate ability to identify and separate firewood species.
o Remove bark and outer half inch of sapwood off of all non-coniferous firewood.
o Kiln dry all non-coniferous firewood to USDA specifications.
o Heat treat all non-coniferous firewood to USDA specifications. (Schedule
available by calling 1-866-322-4512).
o Fumigate all non-coniferous firewood to USDA specifications.
More Information
For more information regarding compliance agreements or the latest quarantined areas in Ohio
and surrounding states, contact the department toll-free at 1-888-OHIO-EAB or go to
www.ohioagriculture.gov/eab.

How many people in Ohio are selling firewood legally anyway?

One I know of: me. I have had a compliance agreement in place with our Dept Of Ag for 2 years, don't need it yet since our county isn't quaratined yet.

oh man i was just wondering the same thing! i get that more often than not. i delivered to a woman last year that said " sir, but i only ordered one cord of wood not two" and i said ma'am this is one cord. she couldnt believe it she thought i had the wrong customer. shows you what people know about a cord of wood. but hey like you said it brings good return business and alot of word-of-mouth customers.

Abohac is correct, for Michigan anyway. We (and our customers) know the difference in a full cord and what everyone here calls a face cord.

Yeah, yeah, yeah..............."face cord", "rick", "ruck", "tick" I've heard all the arguments about there being no defining specs for these terms.

It's understood a "cord" here is 4' X 4' X 8' and you have to cut it yourself. You're bying LOGS. We also call these "Pole" Cords.

A face cord is simply 4' high and 8' long or around 32 square feet and is cut to length normally 16"-18" or whatever your customer wants. A "face cord" here is running 55$ and YOU pick it up.

Never ripped anyone off on wood, just a sideline so I can buy more logs to cut and split more wood so I can sell it around cost. Keeps me in shape and out of the bars...................truth be known I give enough wood away to single moms etc that I'll never be rich.
I gotta believe I give more away than I sell also. getting kinda tired of that though.

Back a few years when I sold about 8 cords a year people could not believe how much wood they were getting in a full cord,24 foot long 4 foot high and 16 inchs deep.I had one guy show up with a 3/4 ton full size box pick up with 4 foot high plywood sides on it and he got a full cord in it and drove off.I also talked to a guy that thought he was getting a full cord delivered and when I looked at it I told him that it was a stove cord 1/3 of a full cord he was not too happy but there are alot of people that do not know the differance.:givebeer: :popcorn:

Guy down the road runs a 'party barn' and needed a 1/2 cord for his fire pit. I measured it out on my stack, loaded, delivered and we both said "that is way over a 1/2 cord" I remeasured just to check and it was just as I had planned, a bit over 1/2 cord. I don't trust my mark 1 eyeball when it comes to sellign (or buying) wood. The tape measure comes out.

Harry K

:monkey:
Back a few years when I sold about 8 cords a year people could not believe how much wood they were getting in a full cord,24 foot long 4 foot high and 16 inchs deep.I had one guy show up with a 3/4 ton full size box pick up with 4 foot high plywood sides on it and he got a full cord in it and drove off.I also talked to a guy that thought he was getting a full cord delivered and when I looked at it I told him that it was a stove cord 1/3 of a full cord he was not too happy but there are alot of people that do not know the differance.:givebeer: :popcorn:

:monkey: 24 foot long its 16 foot :monkey: tom trees

had a guy stop by last night in a full size dodge 1500 6' box, says to me load it up till we get to $100 dollars worth. I asked him " do you want some in the cab? " He settled for $60 face cord in the back.

Yes,24 foot long 4 foot high and 16 inches wide.That is what we call a full cord of wood here,all good red oak.A few years back I sold that much for $70.00,you pick up and they were all very happy when they were done loading for the second or third time.

If I was still selling wood this is what you would get if you bought a full cord from me.
Woodyman would be going broke if he sold you that "cord". Let's asume that stack is 1.5' wide and 6' high. Your first cord of wood shows up after 17'. The stack is at least 35' long, so Woodyman would be giving you the next cord or so on the house. :dizzy:

Back