Cord of Firewood???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get 22 mpg in my 1/2 ton 4x4 extended cab pick-up. Of course, it runs on 4 cylinders when cruising. It has a 5.3 liter motor. Weighed down with wood and pulling a loaded 5x10 trailer loaded, more like 16 mpg.

Hmm...the wife's 4x4 5.3L Avalanche has never gotten over 19mpg. It's got the same engine as your's.

Must be the extra weight of the Avy. It's about 6k unloaded.

A 1/2 ton would struggle to get 20mpg empty. Let alone with a ton or more in it.

I'd be willing to bet that it wouldn't get over 10mpg driving in town with a ton in the bed.

PS-I get about 8mpg.:)
Well then, it looks like the "solution" is a 1-ton diesel that doesn't care how much wood is on board. Friend of mine pulls his F-250 Super Duty with a diesel. He's claiming 18 mpg empty or full.

Amazing what we will do to avoid pulling a trailer. :chainsaw:

Well then, it looks like the "solution" is a 1-ton diesel that doesn't care how much wood is on board. Friend of mine pulls his F-250 Super Duty with a diesel. He's claiming 18 mpg empty or full.

Amazing what we will do to avoid pulling a trailer. :chainsaw:

If funds allowed I'd that in a heartbeat. It's funny what happens to your bank account when you're building a house.:(

I'd rather have a Duramax or a Cummins, but a PSD will do also.:givebeer:

what kind of luck have you guys had with log length cords? mean you buy it by the length and they say " oh it's about 5 cord" then you cut, split and stack to find out it's over or under.

LOL, then I'd love to buy one of your cords if you think that's only 1/2 a cord!

A load like the one pictured neatly stacked and all voids filled is at least 95% of a cord, if not a full cord.

How embarressing is that? I quickly read the post and thought it said it was a half cord load! I have to seriously rethink this now!:popcorn:

They are load range E tires. LT245/75R16. I run 80psi rear and 55 front.

Height to the top of cab is 42". Bed is 5.5ft wide by 8ft long. I've taken a verified cord and put it in that bed many, many times. It's a legit 128cu.ft. cord.

3.5x5.5x8=154cu.ft. minus the wheel wells and taper at rear.

I use 0ld 87 dodge ram 250 same tires and air 318 v8 with auto trans,411 gears 10 mpg. haul loads of wood like that all the time,have hauled 2 ton of coal at 60 mph like it was empty, they dont make trucks like that any more.

Hmm...the wife's 4x4 5.3L Avalanche has never gotten over 19mpg. It's got the same engine as your's.

Must be the extra weight of the Avy. It's about 6k unloaded.

I can't get 22 all the time but when I've put it on the interstate and set the cruise at 74, here in Illinois where the land is flat, 22 is the norm. For all types of daily driving, I'm at 19-20 mpg.

89 Chevy 2500 350/turbo350 12 mpg 10 ply tires with today's load of tightly packed elm close to a full cord. some trucks are designed to haul a heavy payload this one is one of them, I have hauled a 5200# weighed load of gravel, truck did not like it but it survived. Also threw in pictures of my growing wood pile each row is 7ft high by 18ft long x 5 rows deep

A 1/2 ton would struggle to get 20mpg empty. Let alone with a ton or more in it.

I'd be willing to bet that it wouldn't get over 10mpg driving in town with a ton in the bed.

PS-I get about 8mpg.:)

My F150 does about 14mpg empty ...or did the last time I checked a couple years ago. I don't even want to know what it gets loaded!

Due to that I am still dithering over chasing some locust I was offered. The haul coming home would be about 25 miles and all uphill, some of the rises are kinda stiff and looonnngg.

Harry K

Last edited:
Seeing as how you've been cutting willow forever now, the locust will be more than worth it. Probably 3 times the BTUs as your going to get out of that willow.

Locust ranks only marginally behind oak in my experience.

89 Chevy 2500 350/turbo350 12 mpg 10 ply tires with today's load of tightly packed elm close to a full cord. some trucks are designed to haul a heavy payload this one is one of them, I have hauled a 5200# weighed load of gravel, truck did not like it but it survived. Also threw in pictures of my growing wood pile each row is 7ft high by 18ft long x 5 rows deep

:jawdrop: That bad boy's loaded:jawdrop:! Nice stack of wood too!

If I was still selling wood this is what you would get if you bought a full cord from me.

You make my point exactly. Who the heck wants that much wood that buys it? The people that buy wood from me have a couple of fires in their fireplace. The ones that burn wood cut their own.

Box Elder

My Arborist/tree cutter friend dropped off a load of Box Elder yesterday. He told me it'sa type of Maple. How is this wood to cut, season, split, and BTUs ? Thanks:chainsaw:

My Arborist/tree cutter friend dropped off a load of Box Elder yesterday. He told me it'sa type of Maple. How is this wood to cut, season, split, and BTUs ? Thanks:chainsaw:
I believe that Box Elder is near the bottom of the heap in heat content and density, about the same as Harry's dried willow, except for one thing. It smells raunchy to boot and that may be what attracts the box elder bugs. So, I added it to my "last resort" list.

Nevah heard of "Box Elder" here, unless it is what we think of as elder bushes? Elder berries grow on them? We had some Bass wood delivered in one of the last loads we bought, I had never ran into that either and I didn't like passing it on to customers as it is feather light and probably light on the btu's too.

Nevah heard of "Box Elder" here, unless it is what we think of as elder bushes? Elder berries grow on them? We had some Bass wood delivered in one of the last loads we bought, I had never ran into that either and I didn't like passing it on to customers as it is feather light and probably light on the btu's too.

Yes, it would be 'light on the btus too". All wood regardless of species has approximately the same btus pound for pound.

Harry K

Box elder trees are not the same as elderberry bushes. The box elder tree can become huge, reaching a height of 80 feet and rather fast growing. The wood is less dense and is usually weaker than most maple tree species. The leaf looks like anything but a typical maple leaf:
BARK4.JPG

A cord of box elder would scarcely contain half the heat content of a cord of oak.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back