Cord of Firewood???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I'm finding interesting are some of the different terms used in various parts of the country. The term "face cord" is very common around here, but not clearly defined. The length and height are understood to be 8' and 4', but the depth is up in the air. 16", 18", 20", 24"? What size wood is in a face cord is the part that's unclear. Terms such as "rick" or "rank" are completely unknown in this area.

The only real constant is a cord or fractions there of. And only a cord can be defined in cubic feet. That's why any regulations must be written around a cord.

In New York, all firewood sales and advertising must include the three dimensions of the wood, that is length, width, and height, with the wood ranked and well stowed.

Another term that really irks me is the term "seasoned"
All of the beer money clowns all advertise their wood as "seasoned" yet for the majority they are just cutting, splitting, and selling.
last winter a woman thought I was trying to rip her off. I delivered two ricks of red oak, and she hefted some of the pieces and declared them as "not oak"
When I asked her why she thought that, she said that every year she buys oak, and they are HEAVY.
I showed her the grain of the wood, then explained that when wood is wet, it is heavy because of the water content. I then retrieved my moisture meter from the cab, tested her wood, and then even showed her how it compares to some 2X4 she had in her carport.
She called me that evening, wanted me to deliver to her mothers house,and told me, "this wood is great! And it doesnt make all that smelly smoke"
Seasoned? To me seasoned wood means a content of no more than 18 percent. Seasoned to some others means it will burn, barely.

The very first time bought firewood I didn't do my homework and paid $175 for what should have been a full cord. Guy shows up with a full size truck with 8ft bed loaded with wood and dumps it in the yard. After reading and doing extensive research I discovered he owed me a whole truckload more! I call him up with the hope that he'd do the right thing but he swore up and down that his truck with no extra walls other than the bed walls held a full cord of wood. I try to explain that with the size truck he has that a full cord would equal two loads but he got real angry with me about it and never did make it right.:monkey: When I found a dealer that actually knew what a cord was I was amazed to see such a large amount of wood!! They delivered it in a dumptruck with 5ft sides and when I think about how much the first guy shorted me it really got my goat!! Bad thing is, the folks with the dumptruck came from about 80 miles away and the cost was $180, and the ripoff guy was a local. Now I try to gather as much free wood as I can on my own. It's a lot more work but it's also more fun too!:givebeer:

Thombat, you might look at it simply from a weight perpective as well. Good dry firewood would average at least 32 lb per cu. ft. with the air included in a well-packed load. So, if 128 cu. ft. were delivered, the payload would be about 4,000 lb or two tons. I wager that Woodyman's stack (shown above) weighs even more than that. Premium wood or if some is a little green would add another 1,000 lb.

How many pickup trucks are on the road today that can haul two tons or more in one trip, irrespective of bed size?

Last edited:
Thombat, you might look at it simply from a weight perpective as well. Good dry firewood would average at least 32 lb per cu. ft. with the air included in a well-packed load. So, if 128 cu. ft. were delivered, the payload would be about 4,000 lb or two tons. I wager that Woodyman's stack (shown above) weighs even more than that. Premium wood or if some is a little green would add another 1,000 lb.

How many pickup trucks are on the road today that can haul two tons or more in one trip, irrespective of bed size?

Thanks Doc,

Very good points to consider...I betcha i don't get taken a 2nd time!!:chainsaw:

Here's a cord of half dry black locust and white ash in my old beater wood truck.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Peacock, your load looks like what I would call a very fair half cord load. I have seen a web site describe a full size truck half cord load as rounded to the top of the cab....you got it covered.

Well, Peacock, that might be a cord if you add a back board to the rack and then pack the 8' bed to the rim.

Hope you're runnin' 265 tires at 50 psi with that rig. :dizzy:

They are load range E tires. LT245/75R16. I run 80psi rear and 55 front.

Peacock, your load looks like what I would call a very fair half cord load. I have seen a web site describe a full size truck half cord load as rounded to the top of the cab....you got it covered.

Height to the top of cab is 42". Bed is 5.5ft wide by 8ft long. I've taken a verified cord and put it in that bed many, many times. It's a legit 128cu.ft. cord.

3.5x5.5x8=154cu.ft. minus the wheel wells and taper at rear.

Last edited:

I do it all the time in my Dodge 2500. With a set of Timbrens and E rated tires it's not a problem.

LOL, then I'd love to buy one of your cords if you think that's only 1/2 a cord!

A load like the one pictured neatly stacked and all voids filled is at least 95% of a cord, if not a full cord.

Last edited:
<snip>

Height to the top of cab is 42". Bed is 5.5ft wide by 8ft long. I've taken a verified cord and put it in that bed many, many times. It's a legit 128cu.ft. cord.

3.5x5.5x8=154cu.ft. minus the wheel wells and taper at rear.

I was dubious also as I haul the same way with a bit higher racks. Ran the numbers before you posted that and confirmed that indeed it is a full cord.

Harry K

I was dubious also as I haul the same way with a bit higher racks. Ran the numbers before you posted that and confirmed that indeed it is a full cord.

Harry K
Harry, I wonder which is better: Two deliveries in a 1/2 ton truck with a 6' box getting 20 mpg or one delivery in Peacock's overloaded 1-ton hayburner with an 8' box getting 10 mpg? :biggrinbounce2:

Harry, I wonder which is better: Two deliveries in a 1/2 ton truck with a 6' box getting 20 mpg or one delivery in Peacock's overloaded 1-ton hayburner with an 8' box getting 10 mpg? :biggrinbounce2:

A 1/2 ton would struggle to get 20mpg empty. Let alone with a ton or more in it.

I'd be willing to bet that it wouldn't get over 10mpg driving in town with a ton in the bed.

PS-I get about 8mpg.:)

A 1/2 ton would struggle to get 20mpg empty. Let alone with a ton or more in it.

I'd be willing to bet that it wouldn't get over 10mpg driving in town with a ton in the bed.

PS-I get about 8mpg.:)

I get 22 mpg in my 1/2 ton 4x4 extended cab pick-up. Of course, it runs on 4 cylinders when cruising. It has a 5.3 liter motor. Weighed down with wood and pulling a loaded 5x10 trailer loaded, more like 16 mpg.

Latest posts

Back