Cord of Firewood???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's free, It's for me

I have no idea of how good it is but who cares. It is free and was delivered free - burn it.:hmm3grin2orange:

Harry K

Free wood is good wood. Heck, they are all limbed and about 12" in diameter in a nice pile with my other free wood. I'm telling you guys you gotta find some tree guys who don't do firewood, they are so happy to have a local place to empty their trucks out. I think I will be getting some restaurant gift certificates for them soon, just to thank them a little more than a, "Thank You" can.

Does anyone else have a problem when selling firewood of the customer saying... "I didn't think a cord was that much wood?" :jawdrop:

Not that it's a bad thing, it's good for return business but my last several customers couldn't believe how much wood was in a cord.

One guy showed up with a 18 foot trailer with 1 foot sides and then had a nice dresser on it as well. He expected to fit his 2 cords on the trailer along with his dresser... needless to say he made a second trip.

I told him when he showed up, I didn't think it would all fit... I have a 6.5'x10' trailer with 2' sides and if i stack it tight and level with my 2ft sides it equalls a little over a cord at 130 cu ft.

Then today another guy came to pick up a cord with a 5x10 trailer with 1 foot sides and decided he is going to have to make a second trip.

I just thought it was interesting that people keep under estimating the size of a cord.

Wondering if anyone else had similar issues!

:cheers:
Be safe!

Who knew a 1/2 cord would fit in a fully dressed minivan.

OKay !?! good thing it was dry wood or he'd have broke something

Boxelder is refferred to locally as Ash leaf maple. I have heard it called 3 leaf Ash. If Ash is 19.9 - 20 MBTU's Boxelder is 17.9 - 18.3 MBTU depending on the source. It usually has noticeable red streaks in the wood from the boxelder beetle. (sniff) I wish I could find another stand of it. Furniture made from it is quite an eye catcher. Looks good in the firewood pile though.(/sniff) The first time I cut into any I thought I had knicked myself with the cutters somehow. There was that much bright red wet sawdust on my leg. I was leary enough about it with the 3 leaves. This didnt help.

Last edited:
Out in the country, we rarely see boxelder, which thrives in urban waste settings, vacant lots, etc. When I lived in town, I used to see it a lot growing alongside tree of heaven, norway maple, and other urban weed trees.

I've never processed or burnt any and would be curious. Seems to grow real fast and I suspect it would burn accordingly.

Out in the country, we rarely see boxelder, which thrives in urban waste settings, vacant lots, etc. When I lived in town, I used to see it a lot growing alongside tree of heaven, norway maple, and other urban weed trees.

I've never processed or burnt any and would be curious. Seems to grow real fast and I suspect it would burn accordingly.

Old barns seem to be a magnet for the stuff.Many barns foundations have been ruined by boxelder.I treat the stuff with Pathfinder 2, and it kills all of the boxelders nearby, as they share a common root system.

Old barns seem to be a magnet for the stuff.Many barns foundations have been ruined by boxelder.I treat the stuff with Pathfinder 2, and it kills all of the boxelders nearby, as they share a common root system.

Not surprised. My barn is boxelder free, but the stuff seems to be very opportunistic and will quickly establish itself where other species fear to root. I've seen these go from seedling to (a very spindly) an 8' sapling in 2 or 3 years.

Cut the BOX today

I cut up and split the Box Elder this morning. It was EASY to saw, only a little difficult to split. I'm just leaving it in a pile since I'll fire up the OWB on Friday. It'll get burned soon enough for my Domestic HW and I've learned not to spend time stacking anything that will be gone in 2 weeks. I spoke with a guy last night who has used a central boiler OWB for 10 years. He had some great advice. He said mixing green wood with seasoned produced the best results for balancing BTUs vs. Burn time. Also said not to really load it up because ash bed will creep upward and result in water puddle under your ashes...Corrosion! He opens his door for a bit every 2 weeks or so to let the creosote burn out of the stack. He said there are flames coming out the top of it when he does this.:chainsaw:

Back