Cordless Drill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm telling ya, tooliday.com has great deals. It takes less than a minute everyday to see everything they are offering that day. They have had the Dewalt 18v LI-ON 1/2" drill for 130 with two batts. and case. That is a way better deal than what you are getting.

I'm telling ya, tooliday.com has great deals. It takes less than a minute everyday to see everything they are offering that day. They have had the Dewalt 18v LI-ON 1/2" drill for 130 with two batts. and case. That is a way better deal than what you are getting.

I just looked there, not seeing the deal you speak of. I looked at their sponser site toolking.com and the deals there are no better than what I am getting locally. Shipping on a drill similar to mine was almost 20 bucks, gotta factor that in there too.

I do appreciate it though, looks like a good page to look at daily to get a super deal.

I researched the purchase I made, I am content with it.

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to say the deal is available now, just that it was a deal offered within the last month or so.

Congrats on your new drill! I'm on my second set of ryobi cordless hand tools and couldn't be happier since it's been 11 yrs since i bought the first one. For a homeowner they see limited use and don't break the bank.

we probably buy 20-50 cordless drills/impact drivers a year and the guys have been really liking the bosch 18v lithiums and the milwaukees. I like my hitachi as well. They are really light and have a lot of power compared to the older ones. One thing different with the lithiums is that they dont lose power and slow way down like the old drills, they just stop and wont go anymore until you charge em.

I have been using a Dewalt 36v set for awhile now. I have the drill, sawzall and and circular saw. They seem to be pretty tough and have lots of power. The batteries are holding up very well. I would recommend this set to anyone.

One thing different with the lithiums is that they dont lose power and slow way down like the old drills, they just stop and wont go anymore until you charge em.

Thats caused by a safety circuit built into Li-Ion packs. My dad plays with model planes and if my memory serves me correctly discharging a Li-Ion/Li-Po cell below a certain voltage causes damage.

I have the Dewalt 18v hammer and as much as I love the drill, the nicads have lost charge since the day I got the kit to the point they won't drill one hole.
Apparently this is the norm with Dewalt nicad batteries from what I've been hearing.

I intend to split the packs to see if there is an offending cell that can be replaced.

DC988KA_1.jpg

In the meantime I bought a Makita BDF452SHE 18V li-ion drill-driver kit. Neat compact drill

BDF452SHE_zoom.jpg

Last edited:
I have the Dewalt 18v hammer and as much as I love the drill, the nicads have lost charge since the day I got the kit to the point they won't drill one hole.
Apparently this is the norm with Dewalt nicad batteries from what I've been hearing.

I intend to split the packs to see if there is an offending cell that can be replaced.

In the meantime I bought a Makita BDF452SHE 18V li-ion drill-driver kit. Neat compact drill.

Just pull the pack apart Al, and replace the older ni-cads with 3700maH Ni-Mh cells. I've done it and it works a treat.

battery tools, buy a electrician with a diploma of electronic/electrical engineering

Ok
I could make your ears bleed, with the technical stuff, but I'm not going too.
I'm not going to tell you who has best spare parts or which are easy to work on.
I'm not going to tell you how to mend your ways and get better life out of the batteries.

Buy the tool that is best for the task,
example if you work in tight confined spaces (in the ceiling, under benches inside panels) get a small drill with a small battery. a led headlight.
Milwaukee 12V Lithium Ion Cordless 1/4" Sub-Compact Driver

Or if you are working putting anchors into pre cast cement ceilings all day than get a big drill with a battery you wear on your belt like Hilti's 1 TE 6-A

When choosing a brand pick from the big names, but choose the one that has cheap after market batteries available in your area. My experience is that it is easier to get quality makita cloned batteries in my area

Good stuff.

How did you connect the cells Matt?

I just bought some 1.2v 3700maH Vapex cells complete with tabs off of eBay then soldered them together. Had to cut open the pack's casing with a small modelling saw, drop the guts out, joined all the cells up, then epoxied it back together. This was on a Swiss made 12v Bosch and that thing has been copping a belting for 15 years now. Way nicer and better balanced drill than any of the new ones I've used, just not as quick as my 18v Li-Ion Hitachi.
Had to use "Baker's Soldering Fluid" to get the zinc plated tabs on the cells to accept solder though. They were very "solderphobic" prior to that stuff :)
The cells were $5 each and for $50 I had a better than new drill.

I just bought some 1.2v 3700maH Vapex cells complete with tabs off of eBay then soldered them together. Had to cut open the pack's casing with a small modelling saw, drop the guts out, joined all the cells up, then epoxied it back together. This was on a Swiss made 12v Bosch and that thing has been copping a belting for 15 years now. Way nicer and better balanced drill than any of the new ones I've used, just not as quick as my 18v Li-Ion Hitachi.
Had to use "Baker's Soldering Fluid" to get the zinc plated tabs on the cells to accept solder though. They were very "solderphobic" prior to that stuff :)
The cells were $5 each and for $50 I had a better than new drill.

Cells with tabs on....excellent, didn't know you could get them. Sub C's I spose?

Cells with tabs on....excellent, didn't know you could get them. Sub C's I spose?

Yeah mate, Sub C's. Can't seem to find the guy I bought them off on eBay anymore (probably 8 years ago now!). The standard Ni-Cad charger struggles to charge them (it is a peak detection charger but has a 30 minute timer so needs to be restarted at least 3 times :( - the original pack was only 1400maH which in it's day was quite impressive). I now use one of those fancy arsed Swallow hobby chargers that model car guys use. Cheap and they they can charge basically any battery at up to about 6 amps.

These are from eBay US and I never even knew Sub C's had cracked the 4000maH capacity mark :D...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/24-Intellect...352950963?pt=US_Batteries&hash=item439a626eb3

http://stores.ebay.com.au/All-Battery-Center/_i.html?_fsub=7374243

It absolutely changed my 12v Bosch like you wouldn't believe. That is still my go to drill on some jobs where I don't need heaps of grunt. It will outlast my Hitachi 18v Li-Ion drill 3:1.

Last edited:
Thats caused by a safety circuit built into Li-Ion packs. My dad plays with model planes and if my memory serves me correctly discharging a Li-Ion/Li-Po cell below a certain voltage causes damage.

Right, If they drop too low the circuit wont let them charge either as it creates an explosion hazard, same with charging them hot the circuit will cut them off if the temps get too high.

I finally nailed the one I think fits my needs best, just a slight upgrade from the one I originally orderer;

DeWalt® Compact Cordless Drill/Driver Kit (DC720KA) - Cordless Drills - Ace Hardware

It's the Dewalt DC720KA

I studied the Ni Cad vs Lithium Ion and the NI Cad seemed the best choice for me and my application. Price was a factor, but the fact that the Litium Ion might not work well in colder temperatures cinched it for me, I live in Maine and working on my equipment outside in cold weather is a reality.

this is the one i have
Dewalt® Drill/Driver XRP (DCD920KX) - Cordless Drills - Ace Hardware

it is almost 4 YO (next month- got it when i moved into the new house) and hasn't missed a beat. the 3 speed tranny is nice and it has arm wrenching torque. i did have to rebuild the batteries. they only lasted a little over a year. i only did one and it gets me by just fine. i am thinking i will buy some sub-c's and rebuild the other one myself. the rebuild cost about $50, which is about $25 less than i see the Dewalt batteries selling for in Lowe's, and the replacements were Panasonic's. i don't remember the mAmp rating, but they definitely last longer than the OEM batteries. i have also read up on how to make them last longer, such as not charging when they are hot, not leaving them on the charger after they are charged, letting them fully discharge bf recharging, etc.....

this is the one i have
Dewalt® Drill/Driver XRP (DCD920KX) - Cordless Drills - Ace Hardware

it is almost 4 YO (next month- got it when i moved into the new house) and hasn't missed a beat. the 3 speed tranny is nice and it has arm wrenching torque. i did have to rebuild the batteries. they only lasted a little over a year. i only did one and it gets me by just fine. i am thinking i will buy some sub-c's and rebuild the other one myself. the rebuild cost about $50, which is about $25 less than i see the Dewalt batteries selling for in Lowe's, and the replacements were Panasonic's. i don't remember the mAmp rating, but they definitely last longer than the OEM batteries. i have also read up on how to make them last longer, such as not charging when they are hot, not leaving them on the charger after they are charged, letting them fully discharge bf recharging, etc.....

Thanx Murph, I think the tips you mention are key to battery life and the uninformed people might be the ones with more battery issues.

I spent quite a few hours, that I didn't have to spare, the last couple days researching this as I have limited funds and have to try and get it as close to right as I can the first time.

Well.......buying the Crapsman years ago might not have been the most informed decision I have ever made!

Believe it or not, my mother bought a Black and Decker 3/8" drive cordless drill from Wally-World about 5 years ago and that thing has outlasted two 18v Ridgids and a Milwaukee cordless. Nothing fancy, just forward and reverse with a Nicad battery pack. Don't get me wrong, it hasn't been used and abused at all by any means. Best $25 cordless drill out there if you ask me.

Steve

Latest posts

Back