Cordless Pro Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I decided that I'd try a MSA220 so I looked at the local dealer list for a Stihl saw shop where I could trade in a saw. I see that all the saw shops have been replaced by hardware stores, some of which don't even sell parts or do service work, I don't think any of them are likely to sell used saws. I doubt any of them would be interested in trading, or even see any value in older saws like my original 10mm 044. Sigh.

People underestimated the real value of a servicing dealer, and try to buy at big box stores, or on line, to save a few dollars up front. Then when they need support . . . .
Your 'original 10mm 044' should get a lot of interest on CL, on here on the Trading Post', if in good, running condition. Probably get more than a trade in value. Then, you can choose whatever saw you want.

I just bought an EGO rechargeable string trimmer . . .Anyway, so far I am fairly impressed with the EGO, although having only one battery sucks.
EGO generally gets good reviews. I recommend having at least one spare battery, regardless of the brand of tool. That is why it makes sense to look at the whole line of tools that are supported. I have seen cases where I could buy a string trimmer, with a battery and charger, for not much more than the spare battery. After that, the batteries get shared across a variety of tools.

I cut all this with 2 batteries rotation in the charger and other things when they were cooling and charging.
One battery charge (the smaller one) with my Redback 120V chainsaw. Silver maple, up to 18" max.
IMG_0275.jpg

Oregon 40V saw (large stuff cut with a corded electric saw - both with PowerSharp chains)
P1103483.jpg

Philbert

I bet that for working near a power source, those corded power saws are pretty awesome, you know, except they don't smell or sound right..

but other than that..!!

I bet that for working near a power source, those corded power saws are pretty awesome, you know, except they don't smell or sound right..
Several threads on this. Some people try the $30 electric saws and decide that they are 'junk'; what would they expect from a $30 gas saw? The better quality corded saws are a different animal, but cost more. Very convenient. I live on a lot where I am never more than 100 feet away from an outlet, so they are great for home stuff, like cutting up logs and branches I drag home. Some people use them in garages or barns. The photos posted above are storm clean up - the power often is restored pretty quickly.

Philbert

My 10 year old son "owns " the husky 120i. I am recovering from a broken clavicle. I cut all this with 2 batteries rotation in the charger and other things when they were cooling and charging.View attachment 835814
Is this an optical illusion those logs look way to big for that little home owner battery saw. What diameter were they?

I purchased a chain saw and other attachments that use the same battery. Drill driver, weed wacker, I think it’s a b&d not a record for speed cutting but it works. It came with a squirt bottle to oil the chain. It’s decades oold but I like the battery fits multiple items that’s my point.

As I understand it, the Lowe's Kobalt line of cordless, outdoor power equipment is made by Greenworks.

Philbert

Yep that's correct.

Good marketing and partnership on their part, at least where I'm concerned. I don't generally have a good view of "green" products. In my mind, advertising how "green" a product is first and foremost means they don't have anything else positive to proclaim, like actually getting the job done, and thus I'd probably have ignored the Greenworks brand entirely.

Same product, but advertise that it does the job well, no gasoline or exhaust to mess with, as easy to refill the tank as putting a new battery in my cordless drill? No trips to the gas station with a gas can? Sign me up.

"Green?" Don't bother me son, I've got work to do.

Back