Correct sprocket for 290 with 3/8 chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Positrack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This may be sort of dumb, but I've searched around and haven't found a good answer to my particular question. I needed to replace the sprocket on my 290 so I figured I'd convert it from the stock .325" "star" sprocket to a 3/8 rim sprocket for all the normal reasons (it will allow me to run the same chain and files on all my saws, and I already have a good 20" 3/8 pitch ES bar and chains to run on it). My question is about the sprocket though. The saw originally came factory with an 8 tooth .325" sprocket, but as far as I can tell, I can only get a 7 tooth in 3/8" with the small drum spline on the 290. Will that slow the cutting speed down a lot? This saw has a muf mod and cuts great as it is (seems to have power to spare really, even with the 20" bar), and I really don't want to lose performance in the deal. Is an 8 pin sprocket available for the small spline drum? Would that be too much with a 3/8" chain? I only ask because it came stock with an 8 tooth, and like I said, I don't want to lose cutting speed. This is sort of my "fast" saw for quick limbing and light bucking. I use the 460 for the heavy stuff so this doesn't need to be a real stump puller. Sorry if this has been asked a million times.

Last edited:
I guess I'd look on Baileys site and see whats available. Yes in general the 8 tooth will give you more chain speed.

Do not put a eight pin on a 290. Stick with the seven 3/8.

No way would it pull an eight on a 20" bar.

I guess I'd look on Baileys site and see whats available. Yes in general the 8 tooth will give you more chain speed.

I have, and I didn't see one. I'm not sure anybody makes an 8 pin sprocket for the small spline drum (at least I haven't been able to find one). Maybe that's a sign...

Do not put a eight pin on a 290. Stick with the seven 3/8.

No way would it pull an eight on a 20" bar.

In that case, do you think I'd be better off just leaving it 8 pin .325? It has no trouble at all pulling that and it cuts fast. The rim sprockets are pretty cheap so I suppose I could just buy one of each (.325"-8 and 3/8"-7) and do a couple timed cuts.

Thanks for the replies.

A .325 8 pin and a 3/8 7 pin have real close to the same chain speed. Steve

I read this at the time and you settled my question, but I guess I never got back to say so. So... thanks! :cheers:

Also, it cuts just fine with the 3/8" / 7 pin sprocket, but the 460 has pretty well spoiled me and I don't use the 290 much anymore.

Sorry to everybody else for dragging up an old, boring :newbie: thread...

Back