Cost of natural gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year we heated with natural gas, 2 years ago we spent a total of $2950 and change. We also heat our water with gas. House is 1945 built 1 1/2 story 3BR Cape Cod, solid as a rock, New Pella windows, insulation etc 10 year ago. Not new and highly efficiant but Its not a corn crib either. New water heater about 8 years ago, new Amana furnace about same time, closeto 90% eff If I remember right? Anyway 5 of us here with clean freak for wife. This past May with nothing else burning gas except the water heater our gas bill was over $100, thats right folks $100 just to heat water. Yes the water heater has been checked out and no leaks either. We have been heating it with the OWB since Sept 1. I wont run the OWB all summer because of close neighbors.

$57 dollars a month, seems very high to me for warm weather use. Mine are running $23 to $27 for the stove, dryer and hot water, a couple of years ago they were in the $15 to $20 range. My water heater is a 50gal. and only 2 years old, I'm sure that helps. I will be burning some NG to heat my home as my insert only heats half the house. Last year was my first burning wood for heat and our highest gas bill was $100 in the dead of winter. The highest gas bill we ever had was $271 the year prior. The house is now 9 years old, 2000sqft pretty well insulated, with good windows, I have a family of 4.
I'm thinking about putting in an add-on wood furnace in the basement as I have a fireplace down there that doesn't get used at all, but the basement is my kids playroom especially is the winter. We'll see what this winter brings.

I use gas heat and water, also have air conditoning. Gas $60 per month and electric $70 per month these are every month. Our gas is supposed to go down 21% this year.
My house is 10 yrs old 1300+sq ft just the wife and I live in it.
I weld a bit and we keep the house at 23c winter and 25c summer.
That is why I dont have wood heat, not worth it.
Wood is for the cabin.

I work for the gas company operating and maintaining gas transmission lines and we can't even get a contractor out for less than $10,000/day for repairs or replacements. And that doesnt even cover materials etc. Also, illegals have infiltrated and contractors charge whatever they want. MOST of our lines are from the 20's and 30's. They've held up well!
I'm afraid I forgot that it's 2008. Back in '83 when I was in your shoes, the lines were 60 years old. Now they're 85 years old. Amazing that they still work as well as they do. I imagine you smiled when you read my story about the lines in Kansas that we discovered were nothing but hollow cavities with no metal left--all rusted out.

I read somewhere that about 15% of all gas pipelines are in the same boat now, but they somehow still transmit the gas. We have to replace them. There is no choice. Don't we fix roads with potholes, deep cracks, and dips? And, what if we do not repair the pipelines and they break down when it's 10 below zero outside and 20 million customers need them for heat? :cry:

I'm afraid I forgot that it's 2008. Back in '83 when I was in your shoes, the lines were 60 years old. Now they're 85 years old. Amazing that they still work as well as they do. I imagine you smiled when you read my story about the lines in Kansas that we discovered were nothing but hollow cavities with no metal left--all rusted out.

I read somewhere that about 15% of all gas pipelines are in the same boat now, but they somehow still transmit the gas. We have to replace them. There is no choice. Don't we fix roads with potholes, deep cracks, and dips? And, what if we do not repair the pipelines and they break down when it's 10 below zero outside and 20 million customers need them for heat? :cry:

we'll have to wait for a huge disaster before anyone takes a stand to correct it.

then, every politician and his brother will be in front of the news cameras demanding something be done.

I hear ya on the gas man..... I do not know all the facts here, but it goes something like this.... The guy that owns all the wells, also owns the transportation/wholesale co, oh yeah did I mention the he also owns the distribution co. So get this, he produces the gas, then passes it to the transportation co the sells it to himself then sells it to us. Man my posterier hurts and I did not even get danced with

A couple of years ago I would have never dreamed of 'wasting' my time cutting wood or installing a stove. But with the price of gas and oil the wife and I have two appoinments to go look at some used wood burners. I don't blame any one for trying to keep the costs down these days. I'm sick of paying out nearly 300 a month for gas, it's just getting stuipid. :dizzy:

A couple of years ago I would have never dreamed of 'wasting' my time cutting wood or installing a stove. But with the price of gas and oil the wife and I have two appoinments to go look at some used wood burners. I don't blame any one for trying to keep the costs down these days. I'm sick of paying out nearly 300 a month for gas, it's just getting stuipid. :dizzy:

It can be a lot of work but in the end you'll be glad you did it. Go for it!:chainsaw:

i wouldnt go to crazy on electric appliances....ive been told they may release the cap in a couple of years....its cheap FOR NOW but sadly, it wont be...as everyone else is raising prices..they want to also....

i wouldnt go to crazy on electric appliances....ive been told they may release the cap in a couple of years....its cheap FOR NOW but sadly, it wont be...as everyone else is raising prices..they want to also....

They already have. My electric budget keeps going up. Our rural co-op is already talking about a 6 percent hike. Our home is total electric and there are four of us living here, our electric budget payment is $257 and some change every month. Hopefully the woodburner will help that number to decrease a bit.

Natural Gas prices are insane. I am still behind with my wood gathering, have another 3 coords for inlaws and about 2 for myself to get (this weekend I should knock out about 2 cords - and yes, it is seasoned stuff - mostly). I was looking at my "cheaper" renewal contract for gas on Friday when I got home from work, end of the day $15/MCF.

It is a tough choice, do I spend $250 with cost of gas and chains to get 5 - 6 cords of wood, or do I spend $250 a month during winter keeping my house at 70F - 75F to keep my wife and 6 month old warm... hmmmm ;)

Tes

I have tried to convince my wife to cook on our woodstove in the winter to save on the gas bill. She said sure, if you want cold sandwhiches for dinner.
:(

I love cooking on the stove!! stew, chili, beans.

My dad cooks a lot inside the stove with a dutch oven. he bakes taters in there a lot too.:cheers:

They already have. My electric budget keeps going up. Our rural co-op is already talking about a 6 percent hike. Our home is total electric and there are four of us living here, our electric budget payment is $257 and some change every month. Hopefully the woodburner will help that number to decrease a bit.

Here in nebraska we pay pretty low utilities, but I have heard speculation of rate hikes up to 30% on electricity. If that happens it makes it possible for the new wind turbine to go up in my backyard:cheers: right now it isnt worth the investment.

Before putting in my OWB i was paying about $350 a month in the winter to heat and that was with the thermastat was at 63 deg. I am also on propane but now i fill up my tank and just use it in the summer for water heater and dryer, i have not turned on my furnace for 6 years now and my propane lasts for about 24 months, ya gotta ove it!

Before putting in my OWB i was paying about $350 a month in the winter to heat and that was with the thermastat was at 63 deg. I am also on propane but now i fill up my tank and just use it in the summer for water heater and dryer, i have not turned on my furnace for 6 years now and my propane lasts for about 24 months, ya gotta ove it!

Lived in my house for just over a year now. Only used about 5% of my 500gal tank last winter. The propane truck was making its rounds out here and swung in to my place. he asked me if I needed any propane and I told him probably not, there is still 30% in the tank. He then told me its cheaper to buy now than in the middle of winter, and that 30% wouldnt get me through. I pointed at the wood piles and he said "oh"

It was nice to watch him drive off.:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back