Could someone explain Stihl's pricing & saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Why is the new MS280 $380 yet the more powerful MS290 only $330? Than, to top that off, the even smaller MS260 is $420! Seems a bit backwards to me. Is the consumer paying that much more for a better power to weight ratio or is there more to it than that?

And one more question. Of those three saws mentioned above, the 280 is looking appealing to me due to its fairly low weight, good power & slim design. Any thoughts on that model would be appreciated.

I'll be cutting an average of 2 cords wood per year and also be using it to blank out carvings. My current saw for that job is the Echo 4600 (45cc & 10.6 lbs for the powerhead) with 18" bar. I'd like a bit more power than the Echo offers without substansially increasing the weight. I also appreciate solid, long lasting & good performing equipment. I'm just not sure I want to spend more than $380. I should also note that I want to purchase Stihl.... primarily because I have a reputable specialty dealer close by and I really like my MS180C.

All insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
rusty

A small correction to my above post.

I'm not sure it matters but I'll be cutting an average of 3 cords & possibly a tad more per year not 2 as I orignally stated.

The MS290 or 029 is not a "pro" saw. The MS260 or 026 is , the MS270 and MS 280 are both new this year. I have not had any experience with either other than to look at a MS270 at Stihl school, looks well built, time will tell how it holds up, the 026 is a proven saw with a good following, some dislike the newer non-adjustable carb others have no problems with it. Your MS180 has a non-adjustable carb....does it trouble you?

Costs

Note also that the 290 is made in the US and some of the others (I don't know where the newer saws are made) will have import tariffs if made in Germany.

I would NOT recommend the 290, I have an 039 (same as 390) and I find it underpowered for it's weight. The 290 is about the same weight as the 390 with a fair drop in power.

I've heard real good things about the 260. I'd get one if it didn't have the fixed jets.

<p>Howdy<p/>
<p>Rusty, your second line in your second paragraph answers your question about the pricing difference between the 280 and 290. As far as it being a professional model, no, it is not. The 270 and 280 are meant to bridge the gap between a homeowner model and a pro model, just as the 034 was meant to do in 1984. However, the 280 has some excellent design features, i.e.; lower vibration and more torque than the 290, lighter weight, slimmer chassis, lower maintenance air filter, and better isolated carb box. The cylinder has finger ports like a Husky 350, but the piston looks a littler better than the majority of Stihl's smaller saws. I am trying out a hopped up 280 with a 24" bar and .325 micro chisel chain for my thinning crew. My guess is it'll hold up every bit as good as a MS-250 or 290, or even Husky's 350 or 353.<p/>

If a saw has a nick name ie. "Farm Boss", "Wild Thing" then leave it alone!!!! The MS290 or 029 if you like is a consumer saw and has the weight of a MS440 but the power and preformance of a MS260!!!:eek: minus the dependablity of course:rolleyes: As Sedanman mentioned the MS270 and MS280 just came out within the past couple of months so time will tell on that on. The MS260 (pro and nonpro, prefrance towards the non pro; also known as 026) is a tried and proven saw, I've owned one before and will replace my husky 346xp with a MS260 when the time comes (very soon from the looks of things!:mad: ) you might also want to look at the MS250 $274 at my dealer although you should be able to walk out the door for a little less.:angel:

Ryan, you where praising the $hit out of the 346 not to long ago.
What problem have you encountered, to cause this "about face"?

Morin Ryan,

Get a chance,let us know about the problem(s) with the 346.I'am sure several of us would appreciate your comments,might save some of use future grief related to a purchase.

Thanks,
Rick

I appreciate the info all but I have more questions..

I keep seeing referance to "pro" saws but what is the difference....say between the 260 & 280? Does the 260 perform better (like a more finely tuned machine that runs crisper) or is it just more likely to last longer (I assume the 280 to have more torque & the 260 to have more RPM's)? And for my needs I listed in my two original posts, do I really need a "pro" saw? I like nice things but I'm questioning spending $40 more for a saw with less power if the 280 is likely to last me 10 yrs for what I'll be using it for.

Thanks for all the insight everyone.

PS
I have ruled out the "Farm Boss" due to its weight. I'm thinking 260 or 280 and though the 280 is not yet totally proven, I'm leaning towards it due to it being $40 less. I mean, how bad could it be or in other words, would Stihl put out some thing bad?? I'm being serious there. I really don't know. Have they put out a total dud? With all that jibberish said, I'm still open to the 260. I just need convinced.

Oh, and Stihl088, check out my profile changes. Now I'm just as general as you. ha ha

It may just be my saw but I think I remember one or two others telling me that they have had similar problems with the 346xp. The ignition is the problem sometimes it starts, sometimes it don't :( and yes its been to the shop and no their not sure either. One other thing that has been VERY irratating is the wire that goes to the on/off switch keeps coming unplugged, just the slightest bump and ya' gotta' plug it back in again. I have fixed the problem with PC7(hehehehe) so I don't expect THAT to give me anymore problems. Don't get me wrong the saw has good balance and when its running cutts very good but its got a couple of problems. Another one that I forgot to mention is a hesitation in the throttle, got that fixed but how irratating:angry2: Who knows, maybe this saw was made on a monday!!

nope , sounds like some of the poulans ive seen. mabe if u got one made before the box store deals ,went dn.
still it seems to me if they can make the poulan pro 295[which i consider a good saw]. surely the top of the line version would be better than that.

<p>Howdy<p/>
<p>The "Pro" differences are fairly standard among Stihl saws. The non-Pro saws usually have non-adjustable oil pumps, fixed jet or semi fixed jet carbs ( even before EPA regs ), paper cylinder base gaskets, smaller intake and exhaust ports, smaller clutch drum bearings, spur sprockets, small dawgs ( or even plastic dawgs ) and front access chain tensioners. The 026 was designed for a good mix of reliability, torque, and chain speed in a lightweight package. The 026 can be hopped up, and has a good, reliable magensium bottom end with strong bearings. These new 270/280 saws have the plastic crankcase design like an 025/250. The saws tend to split this plastic out after a lot of use. Or you'll see stress marks around the bracing under the pistol grip and case area.<p/>
<p>As far as that Poulan goes, sounds like it has a stuck ring. Forcing it with a wrench is not the answer. Removing the cylinder with some motor oil and strong fingers will most likely reveal the problem.<p/>
<p>Husky ignition problems? That dates back to the 480/298/2100/2100CD. Those saws used a two-piece ignition that prone to failure due to premature wearing on the wiring components. The 371 had problems with ice build-up around the flywheel in the winter. The 385s here are having problems due to heat. The Huskys also use a hotter burning plug than the Stihls.<p/>

<p>Howdy Rocky<p/>
<p>The standards aren't set in stone. It comes down to what changes the engineers make after receiving feedback on a particular model, when they do it, what new regulations come down the line, and what new classifications the Marketing dept. comes up with.<p/>
<p>Yes, your 026 has a semi-fixed jet carb, but that is a result of EPA regs. The 026 before 1998 had a fully adjustable carb. The 024 ( 1982 ), not a "pro" model, also had a fully adjustable carb. Though, when introduced, it had a front access chain tensioner, as did the 026 when it was introduced ( 1987 ), though the case was already molded for a side access tensioner which wasn't introduced until later.<p/>
<p>The numbering system indicates a family of models with similar features. The 1121 ( 024, 026 ) 1125 ( 034, 036 ) 1122 ( 064, 066 ) 1128 ( 044, 046 ) 1124 ( 084, 088 ) all have similar modular features, as did some other series- 1103 "Red Lightning", 1104 "Contra", 1106- 070, 090, 1107- 07S, 1108- 08S, S-10, 1109- 090G. This way of designing saw models ( and other equipment too ) makes it easy for engineers to develop a basic platform and improve upon it from there.<p/>
<p>As far as the "Pro" models are concerned, They have additional groups of features which are alike;- piston and cylinder design, cylinder base mounting fasteners, cylinder base gaskets, oiler design, muffler design, and airbox design. The "Magnum" models take it one step further. However, here's some interesting trivia: In 1989, the 026 had a plastic oiler housing. The entire oil pump was made from plastic. It was not adjustable, and of course didn't last. The 088 was not designated a "Magnum" model until two years after its' release. The 044 was designated a "Magnum" after a newly designed cylinder, piston, muffler, and EPA-spec carb. The Zama C3M carb was used on 029, 034, 036, 044 and 046 models, and each one had different jetting. Carburetors for all models of saws available for Brazil have the biggest jetting available.<p/>

Idaho!

rustyb,

Thanks!, I know where Idaho is, lots of signs for log cabin kits there.

I know just a state is not too specific, but I wouldn't know too many small towns anyway.

Huh?

The 280 does not have a plastic crankcase.
The plastic oil pump works just fine. I still have not replaced one.
Non adjustable oil pumps? Better flip a 290 over. What the heck is that screw for?
Plastic dogs. So what. Use a sharp chain.
Fixed jets? The 290 is fully adjustable.
Zama carbs? Look in a 440 or 460.

Creating confusion about whether certain models are pro, or medium duty, or throw away or whatever is something that most saws companies are guilty of. It is deliberate, perpetrated by the unethical marketeers. They all want to take a ride on their once good quality reputations. Its brandname prostitution.

It would be very easy for them to clear up the confusion by the way they design their literature and in the way they mark their products. They would rather sell a sucker a POS saw by the pretense that the individual is getting a "great quality" Husqvarna, or Stihl or whatever.

Its a marketing ethics issue, not a technical issue.

Stihltech is correct about the 290. It has both an adjustable oiler as well as an adjustable carb.

I still have the brochure from when I bought my 039. It says and I quote:

"Designed for semi-pro and professional use, this new Stihl chain saw has the torque needed for pulpwood and serious wood cutting."

Hmmm, I don't think it has very much torque after my near 10 years of experience with it. I should have taken it back 9 years ago.

There has always been fog between "pro" and "nonpro" whatever those terms mean anyway. I don't run my 088 every day so I guess I should have purchased a "nonpro" large saw? Oh wait, that isn't available, so why is my 039 that Stihl said is for pro's not a "pro" saw. I wouldn't let a beginner use it and it has too much power for a postage stamp lot homeowner.

I'd never heard of pro vs. “nonpro” until about five years ago. I guess this means that an 075 is a “nonpro" since it has an even number????????? Or maybe it had a gray handle. I hear different stories for distinguishing between the two from everyone I talk to.

My 039 has been very reliable, it just doesn't have enough power for the weight in my opinion, I'd buy a new 044 to replace it if I had a better job. I think the worst thing about the 029/039 series is the odd design.

Latest posts

Back