Countries Saws are Made...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just what it says dude. I'm wondering what all countries saws are made in... Any saw, Any country.

I know Germany, Sweden... That's about all. List the Mfg. and the country made. Even those off brands. I'm curious...

Stihl/Dolmar - Germany
Husky - Sweden (or they were)
Poulan - US ????

:popcorn:

Huh??

Stihl- U.S.
Husq- Louisiana

I thought Stihl's were made in Germany? Don't they only make outdoor equipment, i.e. string trimmers and whatnot in the US??? And no huskys are made in Sweden??? :confused:

Echo Japan
Redmax Japan
Efco Italy
Stihl Germany, USA, Brazil
Dolmar/Makita Germany
Ryobi China
Solo Germany
Husqvarna/Jonsered Sweden, USA
Poulan USA

hmph!!!

Stihl makes a lot of smaller saws in Va. Beach, as well as other OPE. My 026 says made in USA on it.

So much for German engineering. Prolly some fat guy drinking beer, lol... hehehehehe

:jester:

Hopefully his gut won't get in the way, lmao...

Of the saws sold in the US, the MS170-MS361 are made in Va. Beach the MS200T, and MS441-MS880 are made in Germany. A lot of the bars are made in Va. Beach. Stihl chain is made in Switzerland.

Countries

Are there no saws made in like France, or Finland or Switzerland?? I thought there was???

From what I understand, Stihls are designed in Germany, but are made in the U.S.A.
On the sidecover of my 021 it says, "Made In USA". On some of the older Stihls we've had over the years I recall them saying, "Made In Germany".
Stihl's chains are made in Switzerland, BTW. ;)
Echos are made in the USA and Japan. The smaller saws are made in the USA and the bigger ones are made in Japan. Not sure what model it is, but I was looking at a 40cc Echo at The Home Depot once and it said, "Made In Japan" on it and the 33cc Echo they had there said, "Made In USA" on it. All of Echo's shortblocks are made in Japan though.

Last edited:
Octane
One of my friend who's grandfather lives up in the woods somewhere upstate NY...he has a real old STIHL chainsaw he still uses today.

When he looked on the crankcase...it said 'Made in East Germany' :eek:

I believe it was made around WW2 era...

The "East Germany" designation would have not been used until the 1950's. During WWII and immediately afterwards, it was all simply known as Germany. At the conclusion of the war, it was, as we know, partitioned into the British, American, and Russian sectors, and it wasn't until the Russians made their intentions known of keeping their sector under Communist rule that it was known as East Germany.

I just checked up on the former East Germany and saw it was founded in 1949. I think it may have been recognized by the U.S. and "West" Germany at a later date though. I read all that history at one time, but it gets a bit fuzzy with time!

Last edited:
Are there no saws made in like France, or Finland or Switzerland?? I thought there was???

Would you buy a saw made in France? Really?

Finland probably makes one but they will not share it and it runs on fish oil.

Switzerland only leases out their saws and man are they expensive. They will however hold your saw secretly and indefinitely for a marginal up front fee and small maintence fee as long as you decide to let them HOLD it.

Stihl also has a plant in China. I am not sure if it is producing saws yet but it will

Bill

Switzerland only leases out their saws and man are they expensive. They will however hold your saw secretly and indefinitely for a marginal up front fee and small maintence fee as long as you decide to let them HOLD it.

French saws run best on Dubonet..

A French saw would be OK in Balsa wood and maybe Pine but when the going got slightly tough in harder woods it would roll over with it hands in the air and surrender. If you're lucky it might go make some bad wine and maybe some cheese after that if it felt like it...

Latest posts

Back