Cracked open some Walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adkpk

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
After cutting all my firewood these walnut logs were left for the csm. Thought you guys might want to see the inside. I'll get to the boards some other day. Never did a walnut so I was anxious
to see what was inside.

walnutslab024.jpg

walnutslab023.jpg

How long has that log been down? I don't see the usual band of sapwood.

I'm going to say year under tarps. It's not a positive id. But some did wind up in the fireplace. It was the center of those logs which make me think it's walnut. It has that pea green with the dull brown center. It's a little punky but is certainly still very hard. I am personally not attracted to walnut. Just know it is a hardwood and am looking forward to finding some use for it. Maybe build something for a customer who has to have something in walnut. Probably turn some into bowls, I would like that. A walnut bowl to keep my walnuts in. :cheers:

That doesn't look like walnut. Butternut, maybe, but not black or English walnut.

Make a fresh cut on the end and wet the milled top surface with water and take another picture or two.

That doesn't look like walnut. Butternut, maybe, but not black or English walnut.

Make a fresh cut on the end and wet the milled top surface with water and take another picture or two.

It's going to a week before I head back up. In the meantime does anybody have pics of some opened up "butternut". I don't know that tree myself I will look it up.

Hard to tell from that pick, but I think you havn't gotten to the heart wood yet. The sap wood on walnut can be between 2-3" thick. On walnut that has been down for a while, particularly if the bark has fallen off the sap wood will had streaks of color like that.even on a fresh cut tree with an injury where there is no bark that part of the sap wood will look more like the heart wood than sap wood.

I wasn't overly fond of walnut either untill I started working with it. It works wonderfully. It cuts and machines well, it carves nicely and will hold details. it is strong and excepthionaly stable and takes any finish you can trow at it. It may not be your favorite to look at but it may quickly become your favorite to work with.

Thanks for the link. I don't think its butternut.

Hard to tell from that pick, but I think you havn't gotten to the heart wood yet. The sap wood on walnut can be between 2-3" thick. On walnut that has been down for a while, particularly if the bark has fallen off the sap wood will had streaks of color like that.even on a fresh cut tree with an injury where there is no bark that part of the sap wood will look more like the heart wood than sap wood.

I wasn't overly fond of walnut either untill I started working with it. It works wonderfully. It cuts and machines well, it carves nicely and will hold details. it is strong and excepthionaly stable and takes any finish you can trow at it. It may not be your favorite to look at but it may quickly become your favorite to work with.

I am for the thoughts of the second paragraph. I am working with a huge slab of sugar maple in the shop. The hardness is not really fun but I love the smell and the story the grain tells is spell bounding. It's a crotch with a lot of stress to it.

Now for the first paragraph. I peeled the bark off with the bark spud. It came easily but none-the-less. The heart wood is 3"'s inside.

I was looking at some walnut at work today and the bark is not the same. The bark on this milled stuff was a little stringy like juniper bark. I am curious to find out what it is. I'll take some more pics this weekend of the heart wood.

I would have to agree with ya, not dark enough also should be some lighter color on the outer side.

Its great whatever it is. I have about 6 real nice walnut boards left, enough for a dining table and a big bookcase. I thought about a treasure cheat.

Latest posts

Back