crafstman chain saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodchild2

Reaction score
Hi, I bought a 14" Craftsman Turbo Air Cleaning saw model # 358.351040 36cc at a garage sale. It looked OK, but when I tried to use it, I realized that the bar and chain oil just ran right through the saw. I think that the former owner let the chain get slack which then tore off some kind of oiler valve thing next to the bar and chain. Does this make sense? What do I call this part when I go to buy it? Are there any good, inexpensive, online sights that sell parts for this saw, or do I have to go through Sears. Last time I asked Sears for a replacement part for a $59 microwave oven, the price for the part was $104. That just doesn't make much sense to repair or maintain things with economics like that. By the way, is this saw actually a Homelite? They look pretty similar.

the thing about buying any craftman power equipment is that when you do need to replace a part, sears is the only place to get them. to the best of my knowledge, you cannot buy after market parts for craftman. the parts must be from sears, and that my friend, is where they make all of their money. not from the power, there is no mark-up in that, they make it on the parts, any where from 50-90 percent mark-up. that's probably why that saw was in a garage sale. the owner knew what it would cost to fix it. good luck brother.
budroe:cool:

Several years ago my Craftsman mower needed repair so I took it to an independent repairman. He said I would have to take the mower back to Sears because he said that Sears was "very stingy" about letting Craftsman parts out of their system. Hope this is not the case with your chainsaw, but be ready for the worst case. Good luck.

chainsaw

Sears has an website that you can look up parts on any craftsman piece of equipment. All you need is your model number. There is also blow up diagrams of all subassemblies. You can look up price an availability of parts and check to see if a local outlet has your part in stock.(Not likley) You can have the part delivered to your doorstep if you want to.
I think I have a similar saw that you are having problems with. If the previous owner took apart the oiler pump assembly it is real easy to put it back together wrong and have it leak all over the place.

Re: Crafsman Chainsaw

Aside from the parts issue, is a Craftsman saw any good? I need a saw for residential owner-type use. I have a lot of trees to cut, but not a huge amount of time so I won't be putting my saw to industrial-strength use. My budget tells me I can get a Craftsman 20" or a Husky 16". The Craftsman is a lot cheaper but is it usable? Can I get away with a 16"?

TIA,
Jeff Sussna

The bar size doesn't tell us what saw you want to buy.

Most homeowners buy WAYYYY too big of a saw for what they need to do. In the >$300 range, I'd recommend an Echo 3450 or Stihl 025. These will handle anything you want to tackle and more.
The Echo's are quite reliable, and still run well even with moderate neglect and abuse. I had an Echo 3400 that I let sit for a year and it fired right up with fresh gas.

What would you need a 20" bar for? Unless you are cutting up huge wood, I think you would find yourself sticking the last 4 inches into the dirt on the other side of the log you are cutting. :dizzy:

Craftsman

I had a Craftsman several years ago and had trouble with the oiler not working at all. Took it to a friend and had it fixed.
He showed me a parts cross reference that had Poulan parts to fit the Craftsman.
He said that Poulan had the contract to build saws for Craftsman.

...................................................................................................

Husky or Craftsman??
You'll get better service and effiecency from a Husky, Stihl, or an Echo. :p

Run, don't walk, away from buying a sears chainsaw. You will be less frustrated if you chew through the wood with your teeth.
The reason poulan is so named, is because you are always poulan and poulan, and never cutting.
Get any stihl or an echo 3450.
Unless you are cutting lots of bigger wood, then look at one of the bigger stihls.

Another inaccurate, misleading blanket statement, Mike.

I am bidding on my third new Cman on Ebay, which just happen to be Solo 651 Pros!! the best 10-11 lb saw, bar none. I bought the second one for another arborist, the first is being Greffardized, should end up giving a stock 372 a run for the money and outcutting an 044. not bad for 250 bucks plus 200 for the hop up!!

Second best is the Shindaiwa 488, 1/2 lb lighter than 026, and better, so everyone that owns one says.

Roger...I finally got inside that Craftsman and I am quite impressed with what I saw...very nice stock figures...and cylinder design..brgs..etc...should get some very nice performance from it...the only thing that dissuades me from the saw...is the difficulty in getting inside...they certainly dont make it easy...and the muffler will make mods difficult...but it can and will be done....just the next one will cost ya;) the other thing that i see and a few have mentioned it here...is parts availability...but if that isnt a problem where you are....no worries...

Rb,
Admittedly, I didn't even know Caftsman put their label on a Solo 651(could it be that they just sell them?). I recall seeing their label on some other Solo saws.

Here's my point, why are you able to get such good ebay deals on these? Is it because of the frustration the owner faces each time he needs parts or service? Most of the time you don't even know what brand saw you are buying at sears, unless you are a chainsaw expert, in which case you sure ain't going to sears!

If you want a solo, go to a solo dealer.

I use tools every day, here's what I strongly believe, if you buy crappy homeowner tools, you will be frustrated, and almost always end up buying the quality tool in the end anyway. Spend the extra money and have a tool you can enjoy using.

It's like your trying to compare a $500 Solo 651 to a Sthil 044. To me that 651 is a joke. Maybe as a novilty, junior hot saw or something, but that 044 will be around cutting wood long after the solo is sold on ebay the 10th time. And through the whole life of the saw the operator will be much safer running the Sthil. There is a lot more to saws than power to weight ratios.

Last edited:
I have to stick up for Craftsman/Poulan Chainsaws. Years ago I lived in an area with no stocking saw dealer. The only 'dealers' were hardware stores selling little Homelites and McCullochs. I bought Craftsman saws and maintained them myself. Are they as good as Stihl, Husqvarna, Shindaiwa or Echo? NO. Are they useful/usable? YES! Longevity? I ran mine for years professionally. Until just a few years ago the 2 c.i.d. Poulan top handle saw was the best climber's saw available(my opinion). That saw has been discontinued( after something like 30 years in production) and their are better saws available but it was a great design-it was even produced as a Husky for a year or two!
RE. your oil leak if the oiler itself is in place and you just have a hole in the tank try degreasing the area and patch it with JB Weld.( I have a Husky that has been running for years with such a repair.)

Crafstman manual wanted

My father left me a ~1995 Crafstman 38cc, 18" chainsaw. Does anyone out there have a manual? I want to ensure the correct spark plug is in the unit and I probably need a new drive gear. I've tried the Sear web site, but can't find my model. The markings on the saw are Model # 600038-64 and another number 41558. I tried phoning Sears and they gave me a stock number of C948415580, but couldn't get a manual to me until late March. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks, but I can't find the xxx.xxxxxxxxx model number.

Thanks, but i can't find the xxx.xxxxxxxxx model number. The number on the chain guard is 41558 which seems to map up to the Oregon chains & bars.

I have been able to get the saw started, but it won't stay running unless I keep priming it. Any ideas?

I have to keep pushing the primer bulb to keep the saw running. Not sure what you mean about top or rear handle? I've included a pic of the saw w/o bar.

Back