Craigslist Score and Wood Identification Help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunbagone

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
table>
Replyed to a craigslist add on Tues. night. Got a call on Wed. at lunch time. Wood was only about a mile from my work at an apartment complex. Has been down for over a year. All cut to lenght and just sitting there. I have to take the brush too but theres not much. The brush is sitting on top of a pile of chunks. I did take some closeups of some of the wood. I really just wanted to know what I have if you guys can tell me. It all looks like it will burn though.
table>
table>

Last edited:
looks to me like you got some elm. have fun splitting that.

also some alianthus, tree of heaven. hold your breath, itll stink.

and maybe some poplar?

I took a truck full yesterday, a truck full and dump trailer full today. Taking the trailer again tomorrow. Still might have to make another trip. Lovin it.

100_0258.JPG
I think it will all burn, and the price was right.

This bark looks like mimosa ( aka silkwood ) ?? not sure though, I sure hope it smells better while burning than while milling. I cut some mimosa this year and it was BY FAR the worst smelling wood I have ever worked with.

There is a lot of free wood to be had on craigslist. This time of year it is a lot of competition answering adds but come spring-summer time there is usually a lot of adds with not many people trying to beat you to it.

The smooth barked wood looks like ailanthus. The stuff will burn up in no time and has an undesirable odor when burned. Honestly not really worth driving very far for. The diamond patterned bark pieces is ash. Pic on #7 looks like pine. The ash is the prize in this load and fortunately I see quite a few pieces of it.

The smooth barked wood looks like ailanthus. The stuff will burn up in no time and has an undesirable odor when burned. Honestly not really worth driving very far for. The diamond patterned bark pieces is ash. Pic on #7 looks like pine. The ash is the prize in this load and fortunately I see quite a few pieces of it.

never seen ash black up like that. i say elm. when he splits it, we'll find out.

might be a good call on the pine though. scotch pine maybe? i'll stay with the poplar of some sort for my guess. that crap wood does usually grow along the fences and parking lots with that t of h.

Back