Crane / Man Basket Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teamtree

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anybody use a man basket hanging from the ball to cut a tree?

Here is my situation....

No bucket truck access.

Climber with 32 years experience went up 30 feet and came back down.

Tree has been sitting dead for 2 years and all of sudden has to come out.

Price not an option...just get it down.

I will get a picture for you to see but it is a White Oak with about 10 limbs on it. The tree is 65' and there is a y at about 45' and each fork is about 20'.

I wanted a crane with a man basket attached to the crane and not the hook but I am going to go up in a man basket to cut the top out of the tree then chunk it down.

You could ride out with the pieces or you could use two cranes, one to tie into and one to load the pieces out with. Of course it's more cost effective to use one crane and ride out with the pics but it is also more dangerous. The safest way do your job is to use two cranes, and if money is no object then thats the way to go. My only question is why use a man basket, when you can just use a climber??

Is there another tree that is solid near it?If so tie into that tree and climb it.I wouldn't know what to say about not climbing a rotton tree as I have climbed a nasty black cherry about that height once and it was standing on a rind of wood.

why risk a climbers life

"Climber with 32 years experience went up 30 feet and came back down."

use two cranes and just piece it down ten feet or so at a time

or

use a man basket and chunk it down

falling a rotton tree is dangerous so why would you climb it and cut it ?

why risk a climbers life

"Climber with 32 years experience went up 30 feet and came back down."

use two cranes and just piece it down ten feet or so at a time

or

use a man basket and chunk it down

falling a rotton tree is dangerous so why would you climb it and cut it ?

I second the rotten tree thing. If you read back in this site to a post i made called bad day you can read more about my experience with a rotten tree. Cost me $7000 because I didn't want it on my insurance. Use two cranes do what you have to but be careful.
Jared

Yes I know very well the dangers but I don't have the $$$$ for a crane or bucket.

I'm not going there, you make it to easy.

Yeah I'll just back off and let you pros debate it. .What do you think they did before the bucket truck was invented?They climbed it and I fail to see the difference between then and now.

Yes I know very well the dangers but I don't have the $$$$ for a crane or bucket.

If you don't have the $$$ to do it safely then don't do it. You are hurting the industry to bid work to cheap to do safely. You are cheating every one who cuts trees. Not to mention unsafe work leads to huge medical and funeral expense. One bad judgment on my part left me with $200,000 in hospital bills.

Teamtree- If I understand correctly- You are talking about hanging a basket from the boom separate from the ball. This could lead to some conflict between the basket and the pick as it is swung out and lowered to the ground. It would limit the crane operator's use of the cable and boom.
Ideally the best option would be to use two cranes. But sometimes it is a challenge to get two set up on the same tree, sometimes it is impossible.
Remember, the sap wood on white oak rots pretty fast, but the heart wood is pretty decay resistant. The top probably died first, and has little or no heart wood.

Yeah I'll just back off and let you pros debate it. .What do you think they did before the bucket truck was invented?They climbed it and I fail to see the difference between then and now.

The difference is that we want to see less dead and crippled tree men than in the past. We are responsible to our families and society to do the work as safely as possible.

You fail to see a lot of things buddy, stick around and listen.

the crane in which I will be attached via the man basket will not be doing any picks. We just need to get up to the top of the tree to cut the top out.

teamtree, why not rent an all terrain man lift? It is probably cheaper and in my opinion safer. I have talked with other climber/operators in the past about the use of man baskets. No one seems to like it. You can do like diltree said as well, as long as the climber who will be doing this is able to. I work with guy who climbs with the crane that would amaze most people here. Just when you think you've seen it all, he brings out a new trick. He's also the only guy I work with that will ride stuff out.

Anybody use a man basket hanging from the ball to cut a tree?

Here is my situation....

No bucket truck access.

Climber with 32 years experience went up 30 feet and came back down.

Tree has been sitting dead for 2 years and all of sudden has to come out.

Price not an option...just get it down.

I will get a picture for you to see but it is a White Oak with about 10 limbs on it. The tree is 65' and there is a y at about 45' and each fork is about 20'.

I wanted a crane with a man basket attached to the crane and not the hook but I am going to go up in a man basket to cut the top out of the tree then chunk it down.

So you can't get a bucket to it,but you are able to boom out to it with a crane?...If price is not an option,why not use one crane for climber support and one crane for rigging...I don't know about using a basket.I would personally work from my saddle if I if I had crane support just because it gives you some movement to swing out of the way if necessary...Without seeing a pic,that's about all I can think of.

So you can't get a bucket to it,but you are able to boom out to it with a crane?...If price is not an option,why not use one crane for climber support and one crane for rigging...I don't know about using a basket.I would personally work from my saddle if I if I had crane support just because it gives you some movement to swing out of the way if necessary...Without seeing a pic,that's about all I can think of.

I think he is meaning he can bomb stuff small or piece it small from one crane.I have not seen the tree to know what I would do, I have made a false crotch running a speed line from two distant trees that supports me only to do work of this nature or climbed down from a taller tree if present if rigging to remove limbs is necessary a crane would be best, but they will not pay that cost here and I have come up with ways to safely do the job without the crane!I once called a crane service that refused to do a job I started and decided I would like to use a crane on. They backed out but I bucked up and finished was considered to be state record lobloly pine and was 52 inch diam 50foot up and 76 inch at the base. The tree was dead but still had a few needles I just got spooked a while!

Last edited:
With out any photos its kind of hard to come up with a clear estimate of the situation. Personally, I would not use a basket suspeded from a crain. There are a lot of different ways to use one or two cranes safely to dismantle a decaying tree. There are a lot of variables that could work into this equation. If you could post a few photos, The boys here might be able to give you a lil bit better advise.

Kenn

I have worked suspended from a crane in my saddle. It worked well. A crotch where ever, when ever, I wanted it.

Back