cure for ethanol

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
What do you do to counteract the ethanol in fuel?:msp_mad: I've heard that stabilizers are helpful, or a product called Sea Foam.
Obviously, the best solution is to elect decent politicians to disband the EPA,:dizzy: but that's not going to happen in my lifetime. Your thoughts? :confused:

i try not to buy ethanol based fuel.... but do believe in it as a viable way of driving up the cost of corn...all but put an end to sales of corn furnace's around here... at $10.00 a bushel do the math ...
way cheaper to buy wood or even fuel oil...

As far as having problems from fuel I haven't had any.My snow blower/mower/splitter/weed wacker and both saws all start and run every season with no problems.When I get new fuel in my 5gal jug I use more than the recommended amount of stabil so maybe that's why who knows.

one cure is to run 101 or above octane, i was told that ethanol can only achieve lower octane ratings..so anything higher then 101 should be safe, also burns better in 2 cycles anyhow...

i try not to buy ethanol based fuel.... but do believe in it as a viable way of driving up the cost of corn...all but put an end to sales of corn furnace's around here... at $10.00 a bushel do the math ...
way cheaper to buy wood or even fuel oil...

"Put an end to corn furnace's" You think? I got one year out of my outdoor corn burner before corn went out of sight. I don't farm so corn came from the elevator so my math had the break point at $4.00 per bushel. When I purchased it corn was $2.10, 2 months later at delivery it was already $3.25. That was $6000. big ones down a rat hole. The only bright spot is I bought a new OWB at an auction in April for a REALLY good price and I have everything in place from the corn burner to take it out and swap in the wood burner. Hope I have better luck at reducing my heat bill with this set up. Anyone need a really CHEAP corn burner in Iowa?

one cure is to run 101 or above octane, i was told that ethanol can only achieve lower octane ratings..so anything higher then 101 should be safe, also burns better in 2 cycles anyhow...

Pure ethanol is about 110 octane. At the current 10% blend, you are correct in saying that higher than 101 would be free from ethanol. If you're talking about E85 though, that may not be the case.

What do you do to counteract the ethanol in fuel?:msp_mad: I've heard that stabilizers are helpful, or a product called Sea Foam.
Obviously, the best solution is to elect decent politicians to disband the EPA,:dizzy: but that's not going to happen in my lifetime. Your thoughts? :confused:

Don't buy ethanol fuel for my saws.....'tis best.

{Tried to use that ethanol additive stuff...what a waste}

Scott B

http://www.goldeagle.com/assets/product/Marine-Formula-STA-BIL_8oz_Ethanol_Treatment_22239.jpg

Marine Formula STA-BIL
•America's #1 Selling Marine Fuel Additive Brand!
•BEST Ethanol Blended Fuel Enhancer!
•More than FOUR TIMES the Fuel System Cleaner than in Regular STA-BIL
•DOUBLE the corrosion preventer than in Regular STA-BIL
•Prevents corrosion from moisture & water attraction
•Improves marine engine performance YEAR-ROUND, not just for seasonal storage

Works for me. One ounce to five gallon it goes a long way.

most small engine manufacturers will tell you not to use ethanol...or ethanol blends...
that said i certainly would not buy e85 for my saws....you would be asking for a seizure of piston or worse i saw a echo cs 400 that was ran on ethanol and it literally melted the head down from the heat off the cylinder...common sense would tell ya the saw is running hot when you start to see plastic dripping.. anyhow until some saw company get a better design to use ethanol in them i will steer clear of it...
oh by the way i have a mower here that has ran on ethanol from our local elevator and is now knocking something fierce... sent the wife to get gas for the mower... she didn't know the diff.
but now she does!!!!

just another life lesson learned the hard way..

I am lucky enough to live about 15 miles away from a marina and they sell E0.

Although, I will meet up with Super3 when I get to Indiana and he has a station which sells E0, that is much better gas than the stuff I can get from the marina.

here in new york it's required to have at least 10% and supposedly is going to be 15%.

there are very few places that sell gas with out it, so we drive to the indian reservation and buy gas there when possible.

we had another thread on this a few months back. some guy said he takes 5 gallons of gas and adds water then stores it for a while. the water attracts the ethanol and falls to the bottom of the tank. he then just uses the gas at the top.

I know some here say well don't buy it, but that's all that's available here.

That being said, I use PRI-G and haven't had any trouble.
Startron, and the ethanol Sta-Bil both seem to have a good reputation for working.

I'm using star tron also which was recommended from the local stihl dealer. After replacing a carb on my trimmer it's worth a gamble. So far seems okay.

I know some here say well don't buy it, but that's all that's available here.
I checked this site for your state Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada but only 4 listings and they are all at airports. But that list is not comprehensive as I know of at least one station near me that is not on the list. I believe in a market based solution were enough people refuse to by the crap as to force the retailers to provide the product that serves the customer. But we have so many ignorant people that just don't know any better or to stupid to figure out the long term cost are much higher than the short term savings. The other option is to fix the government that is forcing the crap down our throats. But the government is to stupid to even balance the budget so why would they do anything that makes logical sense to a fully functional brain.

If you can't find non ethanol...

..by the gallon anyplace close, and your needs aren't great, you can always get the canned pre mix. Ya, it is expensive, just depends on how much you cut. For the big commercial cutters here, nope, for a homeowner just cutting personal wood..peace of mind and the stuff works.

The good thing about the canned pre mix is that in the past year it has dropped from eight bucks a quart to now down as low as four bucks some places.

Latest posts

Back