Curious about eBay question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prices in Europe and abroad in general are a lot higher than in the states.
US Postal service has the best international shipping prices.

Could be a common saw here but rare there, especially if it's a collectible.

Or it might be economics. If it were worth twice as much over there as over here, would the difference make up for $100 of postage, duty, etc?
There are people over there that have to pay $1200-1300 for a new Husky 346xp.

From what I have heard, it is cheaper for them to buy a saw from the US and pay shipping than it is to buy local.

i think there prices are very inflated...i dont blame them for buying in the states.

Something to keep in mind when you cry at the saw shop???

Stihl prices are cheaper in the US that just about anywhere, so come and buy new saws from me, and sell them on Evilbay in a year!:)

You never know these days, just make sure the money clears before shipping the saw...

if you do it.. accept only cash funded paypal as payment.

ship only on approved carrier of paypal. which should be insured with signature confirmation only.

personally would not do it.. because of all the hassles involved.
what if they claim chainsaw was not as described? they will win...
do you want to end up eating it?

getting really Leary of paypal, since they don't allow negative feedback on buyers.

I wouldn't think it's a scam but shipping to them would be outrageous and most likely a hassle.

I would'nt think it's a scam at all, check the buyers feedback, if they have a good feedback score I would'nt hesitate for second to ship to them. I've shipped several saws overseas that I sold on ebay. No hassle at all, you just have to fill out a customs form at the post office (or do it online), no biggie... usps is the best way to ship a saw overseas BTW

Shipping an item that has had fuel and oil in it is a real gamble. The hydrocarbons emitted could get it held up, as well as what you declare
is in the package.

I had a german guy buy over a dozen items from me in Nov., and he never paid. I sent several reminders, then finally opened 1 unpaid item case. He sent me a message that his paypal account was screwed up, and i MUST cancel all of the auctions. I looked at his feedback, and he was still quite active on e-bay, buying from several members here as well.

I opened the rest of the unpaid reminder cases, and he finally got over a dozen unpaid strikes, and he still is active, unfazed....

He probably works for the Stihl family.

With new rules at the USPS, you have to complete a form online, print it out, and sign it, and attach to the package, and be very descriptive and accurate of the contents, it is getting to be a hassle. I am almost ready to stop all overseas shipping, as it puts a real wrench in the system.
Also, international first class cannot be printed out online, it must be done at the post office. I would also guess that usps insurance would be worthless
once the item left the US

Last edited:
No hassle at all, you just have to fill out a customs form at the post office (or do it online), no biggie...
to me, this is a hassle and if you don't get it right then it gets held up at customs and then theres the taxes and duty fees associated with it and most people want you to lie about the value so they don't have to pay these fees and as fish stated, if it happens to smell like gas or oil it won't go on a plane and be held up again.

Shipping an item that has had fuel and oil in it is a real gamble. The hydrocarbons emitted could get it held up, as well as what you declare
is in the package.

I had a german guy buy over a dozen items from me in Nov., and he never paid. I sent several reminders, then finally opened 1 unpaid item case. He sent me a message that his paypal account was screwed up, and i MUST cancel all of the auctions. I looked at his feedback, and he was still quite active on e-bay, buying from several members here as well.

I opened the rest of the unpaid reminder cases, and he finally got over a dozen unpaid strikes, and he still is active, unfazed....

He probably works for the Stihl family.

With new rules at the USPS, you have to complete a form online, print it out, and sign it, and attach to the package, and be very descriptive and accurate of the contents, it is getting to be a hassle. I am almost ready to stop all overseas shipping, as it puts a real wrench in the system.
Also, international first class cannot be printed out online, it must be done at the post office. I would also guess that usps insurance would be worthless
once the item left the US

I use Endicia to print all my postage and you can buy/print any class you want including 1st class international and also do the customs forms, no hassle at all. It's just the usps site that will only let you do priority and express only

totally agree with fish... by the way, I've got 350+ paypal transactions, with 40+ shipped packages overseas... values $5 to $750... to Canada, Germany, UK, Philippines etc, etc.

so I've got some basis to comment from. I refuse to ship a high $$$ item overseas unless they've got a track record like on a forum.

for instance... our Aussie buddies that's been posting for several years. would not hesitate to ship to them. still you pretty much are on egg shells for high $$$ , until they receive item and are happy.

for ebay folks that I don't know... NOT!

Last edited:
totally agree with fish... by the way, I've got 350+ paypal transactions, with 40+ shipped packages overseas... values $5 to $750... to Canada, Germany, UK, Philippines etc, etc.

so I've got some basis to comment from. I refuse to ship a high $$$ item overseas unless they've got a track record like on a forum.

for instance... our Aussie buddies that's been posting for several years. would not hesitate to ship to them. still you pretty much are on egg shells for high $$$ , until they receive item and are happy.

for ebay folks that I don't know... NOT!

I've got over 4000 paypal transactions and I've shipped hundreds of items overseas with no problems whatsoever... I don't see what the big deal is???

well you are way ahead of me in paypal transactions!

what ever works for ya... if it's working, then don't change.
for me it's flat not worth the extra headaches...

I've got over 4000 paypal transactions and I've shipped hundreds of items overseas with no problems whatsoever... I don't see what the big deal is???

Hi guys,

I`m from germany (Bavaria).

I can give you some examples.

A new STIHL 361 are about RRP: 1280,- US-bucks in germany (How much does it cost in the US??)

a 20 year old STIHL 026 with cracked cylinder and piston could be kicked on ebay for about 380,- US Dollars (+/- 50).

The magic word is "STIHL"

Insane whats going on around here.

Sorry for my bad typing.

By the way, if someone wants to ship me some Saws, let me know :D

Last edited:
I've shipped a ton of air rifles... yes you can put that down... but if it ever gets damaged... you will have trouble collecting your insurance.

that's why I refuse to ship air rifles via USPS... Fedx ground is zero hassles and usually 50% cheaper. best of all no waiting 45 minutes in line at post office.

You mean an air rifle is no longer a "pneumatic paper punch"?

The Euro is very strong against the dollar at the moment so your prices seem very cheap.The Pound has unfortunately gone the other way.Last year it was 2$ to the £ so your prices seemed a steal to us. I got a 056 flywheel and several parts for my MX bike shipped over at little more than half price here. At the moment it's only 1.42$ to the £ so there isn't much fun in shopping overseas at the moment.
My advice would be look at their feedback. There are crooks everywhere but the vast majority of people are honest whichever country they come from.

Latest posts

Back