Curious about phones?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the motorola droid about a week ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q5ee5sCrK8

I'm pretty happy with it so far. I didn't think I'd be able to use a small keyboard but I haven't had much trouble with it.

It sure is nice to have estimate requests from my website sent to email so that I can check for nearby requests when I'm on the outskirts of my coverage area.

I can't speak for durability yet but I always keep my phone in a case and climb with it.

Last edited:
I got the motorola droid about a week ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q5ee5sCrK8

I'm pretty happy with it so far. I didn't think I'd be able to use a small keyboard but I haven't had much trouble with it.

It sure is nice to have estimate requests from my website sent to email so that I can check for nearby requests when I'm on the outskirts of my coverage area.

I can't speak for durability yet but I always keep my phone in a case and climb with it.

I need one!

Looks like It'll cost about $1400 a year for 900 mins with unlimited text and e-mail, thats with the ins and theres a $87 deductable (if I break it I pay that before they give me a new phone). I think the ins. is worth it at $600 for the phone. thats verizon. Thankfully I'm with sprint now, so verizon will give me the phone for $200 after rebate.

That doesnt sound too bad??.

BTW: nice website mike

I didn't realize that they were $600 before rebates. I'd never pay that for one. My contract was up so I got the contract renewal rebate and I think an online rebate which put me at $150 for the droid.

I get away with the 450 min. plan with an additional $30 for unlimited data transfer so I total about $70/month before taxes.

You like your blackberry, and you make some compelling points. However I have tried my wife's and daughter's storms, and I cannot push one key at a time. they are simply too small. To some that may sound funny, but it is a factor to me.

You make a compelling argument for all the apps, however. Just curious how you navigate that small of a keyboard. I mean this as no insult to you, or anyone else...but do they make a smart phone for men?

It takes a while to get used to, but then it becomes second nature.
It also would depend on the size of your hands too. I suppose if u have big burly thick hands it might not be the phone for you. I am somewhat slender so now I do not have a problem.

I didn't realize that they were $600 before rebates. I'd never pay that for one. My contract was up so I got the contract renewal rebate and I think an online rebate which put me at $150 for the droid.

I get away with the 450 min. plan with an additional $30 for unlimited data transfer so I total about $70/month before taxes.

I picked up that droid thing yesterday, its already a hate/love affair...I think I overdosed with technology yesterday.

Thankfully I actually have some trees to kill tomoro...that reminds me, I gotta go see if I can actually place a call with that stupid thing.

Contrary to an early post I am really happy with my Nextels. I have been with them I think since they started. Their walkie talkie and their speakers are the best in the business and I don't get very hi tech beyond that. I have had my i580 for maybe 3 years now and it is military spec and has been drenched and bounced many times.

I wear it in a holster strapped to my ankle and I climb with it even with spikes on. My GM has one I supply as well with no phone service (learned the hard way). They are indispensable and help make us extremely efficient and safer. Even when he is running the BC2000 and I am way up in a tree on a windy day all I gotta do is direct connect him and watch him respond immediately if I have any concerns such as some moron walking underneath my tree or near his chipping.

I just got (about three months ago) the Nextel/Sprint Blackberry Curve. I love it. As said before: emails, calendar, internet, etc. are all right there. Mine came with Microsoft Word and Excell programs, so I can just e-mail docs to my phone and edit them or whatever. Even can create new ones and send them to my computer (like a pda, but through email). Since I'm a little rough on phones, the durability was a huge concern. My dad has the same phone that is only about 6 months older than mine, but it looks like he's had it for six years. I, on the other hand, got this fancy case for mine. It has added bulk, now, but the case is great! It's called an Otterbox. Do a web search, I think they make them for all different Blackberries. I don't know if that's the manufacturer's name, or just the model name. It adds a lot of durablity to the phone. I take it out of it's case on the weekends (as long as I'm not working) and clean the case up a bit, but I haven't had any problems, yet. Just my 2 cents.

sorry,not possible.

Buy a Refurb I-Phone for $49.99, you won't regret it. It's a phone, mini laptop, and GPS unit all in one.

not until another service provider is available.i will trade my cell phone for two Campbell's soup cans and a string before i give AT&T one friggin' red cent.they are A holes and they are anti gun.

i stopped at Verizont he other day.

i didn't care for the Droid by Motorola which is what i went to look at.the Droid Eris seemed like a lot nicer unit.i could actually type on the touch screen with my big mitts.didn't miss a key once.i liked the weather display too.i may get one.

I leave my phone in the truck. I had an iphone, then a blackberry, and now I have a Droid. The ability to organize your calendar and receive email while you are out on the job is essential for keeping up to date.

If you are in an area with good At&t coverage, I don't believe an area actually exists, then the iPhone is the best thing on the market, followed closely by the droid on verizon. If you have to go with sprint, then the pre is a good option, but you'll have to get a car charger as the battery life on the pre is the worst of the three. The droid is nice because it will back up your calendar for free constantly onto the google cloud so you won't need to sync to save your data, you can do this with the iphone too but you'll need a mobile me account which'll cost you 100 bucks a year. The droid also gives you free turn by turn navigation integrated with google streetview which'll be helpful in finding jobs but most people have a gps already so that may be redundant. I'd stay away from blackberry as the learning curve on them is pretty steep and you have to sync back to your computer in order to backup your data.

In response to what others have said.

1)Don't get a blackberry through nextel, it's an Iden phone and won't use CDMA so you are completely stuck with nextel's aweful towers and can't take advantage of sprint cell signals.

2)Data is $30 with AT&T and Verizon. They can charge this because they offer better service than sprint and tmobile who offer all inclusive plans for much less but whose service isn't as strong and whose "IN" network is dwindling. You want a smartphone you can't avoid the extra cost.

3)If you aren't eligible for an upgrade, add a line to your account with verizon, get the droid at the reduced price, then switch it to your number, now you have an extra phone you can climb with and your droid can stay safe in your car. You'll pay 240 over the course of the 2 years you have to have the second line up and running but that mated with the 200 price of the phone is still cheaper than the 600 they would charge you "in contract"

4)The curve is by far the most durable of the smartphones out there, it is also the least capable as their apps don't get reviewed thoroughly and there is no central place to get them. Don't say BB world either, that software is absolutely terrible.

5)You can tether a blackberry to your laptop and surf off the data plan with no additional charges if you buy a $50 application. This could be huge because your laptop now has service everywhere your cell phone does. Tethering with an iphone is damn near impossible as AT&T is doing everything they can to stop this and tethering with the droid is possible but very difficult to set up and not really successful at this point (to my knowledge)

6)The camera on the droid has the highest resolution of any smart phone to date but it's waiting on a firmware upgrade for the auto focus, so until that comes out, the camera is comparable to an iphone or the pre.

Any more questions?

Last edited:
good info and advice.

I leave my phone in the truck. I had an iphone, then a blackberry, and now I have a Droid. The ability to organize your calendar and receive email while you are out on the job is essential for keeping up to date.

If you are in an area with good At&t coverage, I don't believe an area actually exists, then the iPhone is the best thing on the market, followed closely by the droid on verizon. If you have to go with sprint, then the pre is a good option, but you'll have to get a car charger as the battery life on the pre is the worst of the three. The droid is nice because it will back up your calendar for free constantly onto the google cloud so you won't need to sync to save your data, you can do this with the iphone too but you'll need a mobile me account which'll cost you 100 bucks a year. The droid also gives you free turn by turn navigation integrated with google streetview which'll be helpful in finding jobs but most people have a gps already so that may be redundant. I'd stay away from blackberry as the learning curve on them is pretty steep and you have to sync back to your computer in order to backup your data.

In response to what others have said.

1)Don't get a blackberry through nextel, it's an Iden phone and won't use CDMA so you are completely stuck with nextel's aweful towers and can't take advantage of sprint cell signals.

2)Data is $30 with AT&T and Verizon. They can charge this because they offer better service than sprint and tmobile who offer all inclusive plans for much less but whose service isn't as strong and whose "IN" network is dwindling. You want a smartphone you can't avoid the extra cost.

3)If you aren't eligible for an upgrade, add a line to your account with verizon, get the droid at the reduced price, then switch it to your number, now you have an extra phone you can climb with and your droid can stay safe in your car. You'll pay 240 over the course of the 2 years you have to have the second line up and running but that mated with the 200 price of the phone is still cheaper than the 600 they would charge you "in contract"

4)The curve is by far the most durable of the smartphones out there, it is also the least capable as their apps don't get reviewed thoroughly and there is no central place to get them. Don't say BB world either, that software is absolutely terrible.

5)You can tether a blackberry to your laptop and surf off the data plan with no additional charges if you buy a $50 application. This could be huge because your laptop now has service everywhere your cell phone does. Tethering with an iphone is damn near impossible as AT&T is doing everything they can to stop this and tethering with the droid is possible but very difficult to set up and not really successful at this point (to my knowledge)

6)The camera on the droid has the highest resolution of any smart phone to date but it's waiting on a firmware upgrade for the auto focus, so until that comes out, the camera is comparable to an iphone or the pre.

Any more questions?

thanks fora lot of great info!

When I started this thread I thought I would probably get 4 or 5 responses out there, maybe a couple I could use. You guys really make a lot of sense, and have given me a wealth of info. It is somewhat suprising to me the amount that people use the smart phones, and the value they get from them. I thought it would be a just a clever toy...but you folks have showed me they can be actual tools.

Just to push a little farther, I know some of these phones can run some extensive software...and that there are some decent plant diagnostic programs available. Can any of these be synced with a smart phone? Or is that just futuristic nonsense? Some of these programs are available on the web, so is it possible to utilize them on the jobsite thru your phones?

I really appreciate all the input you guys have given me. Great information.

I don't have an Iphone, but I know that there is an app to assist in tree ID. I know nothing else about it.

I think it would be cool to take a close up picture of a leaf and have it just tell you: "Acer rubrum; slightly chlorotic"

That would also make anybody with the phone as 'tree smart' as us, so maybe that's not a great thing.

Latest posts

Back