Cut a willow oak in the yard with pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This trees roots were getting in my septic system and clogging it up, also the small leaves are a pain to get up. I planted this tree about 25 years ago when it was a straight stick about four feet tall. It's about 20 inches across now. First day I spent cutting and hauling limbs to the back yard to burn.

SANY1151.JPG SANY1152.JPG SANY1153.JPG SANY1154.JPG

Pretty yard. shame to have to cut a tree you planted quarter century ago though...

The willow here is heavy as heck green, then like balsa when ready to burn. I don't get a lot of it, just whatever falls down in the pasture.

edit: willow OAK..sorry for the reading fail..long day....

Bummer about having to cut the tree down(although I'm sure you weren't mad about doing it) That tree had a nice shape and branch structure to it, could have been a big old tree some day. Look like some nice wood you got out of it though.

so what was the reason it came down? and i'm not familiar with willow oak... is it good, fair, or poor burning wood?

so what was the reason it came down? and i'm not familiar with willow oak... is it good, fair, or poor burning wood?
The roots were clogging up my septic system, my fault totally, I planted it too close to the septic tank. It's not the best for firewood. It dries out and is kinda lightweight, burns fast. But it's free BTU's during the winter. about a month ago I had to dig up the septic tank to unclog the opening, in the pic below you can see the tree roots all around that bucket top. that's where it goes in the tank. It caused a huge backup in the house.while I had it opened I had the tank pumped out. too much trouble to dug that up.

SANY1126.JPG SANY1127.JPG SANY1128.JPG

fun stuff. i have a huge oak tree by my garage and tank that needs to come down. been having similar problems myself along with the freezing problems that come with the area i live

I cut a Willow oak down last August and left it bucked and piled up until last week. I split about 3 cords worth and it has some serious rot in it.

Tree was green and healthy when it came down. I can leave other oak piled up for a year or more with no issue.

id cut it close to the ground,,then burn that stump out,,one way or the other.....otherwise,,those freaking roots will keep growing,,and the tree is liable to come back!!!!!
Yeah, it's coming down closer, I needed to sharpen the chain before I tackled that again. I loaded the septic system up with rock salt. hopefully that will kill the roots in the lines.

I cut a Willow oak down last August and left it bucked and piled up until last week. I split about 3 cords worth and it has some serious rot in it.

Tree was green and healthy when it came down. I can leave other oak piled up for a year or more with no issue.
This stuff will be kept in the dry, I know it's not the best firewood. I've burned it before. it takes a whole lot of it to make it through a winter.

Did you replace the pipe too? That must be piped right in, did the roots lift the concrete cover?

Back