Cut down first large tree today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tighten rear first.

attachment.php

+1

Yepp definitely, so this wood should be milled instead of turned into firewood shouldn't it?
Although it seems like it would make for some great burning wood.

Only if you want it for something in particular. Maple is OK when it's green. When it dries if you want to build something with it you'll have to drill holes because 16D's will bend if you try to dry them when dry, very hard wood.

Chain throwing problems

Ahh yes, Motion Lotion has been on my list of things to get. The biodegradable kinda in fact.

Long story short about that chain, its been discussed here before, is that I have no idea what caused it. When it was new it fit snug. The saw made it into the hands of several inexperienced people who cut crooked and forced the bar to try to cut straight and causing the chain to throw. One guy even bent a drive link really bad. Don't ask me how. Anyways I think that chain went through a lot of inexperienced people, I am sure it stretched and was bent. For some odd reason it would no longer stay snug. I ended up tossing it as it was throwing all the time. Just plain dangerous. I have not had any trouble with a chain since I've added new chains.

The saw I used for cutting that maple down was a Husky 359 XP. Great saw but I would like just a little more power :D
I was about to go buy a Stihl 046 but I ran out of money. I really want to own a stihl cause of all the hype and talk about them. Although I am very interested in the Husky 372XPG.

I'll buy some chaps.

.Not to beat a dead horse ,, but there usually is a number of reasons why a chain keeps throwing ,,,,

First thing to check is your drive sprocket ,, That saw has an inboard clutch I think so it is easy to see and replace .........[ When takeing off the e clip use a carborator screw driver and carefully twist and pry the clip out of the slot in the crank ..have your other hand cupped over it to catch it if it takes off like a dirty shirt ] ........Sometimes a sprocket will be quite soft and will wear down unusally fast , the driver teeth will wear away on the clutch splined shaft and therefore won,t have enough depth to stay in the bar ....when the chain gets thrown alot the drivers get peened over alot and need to have the burrs filed or ground off to fit back in the bar groove .. after the 4 th time this happens some of the drive teeth are pretty short and the chain will throw alot

A worn bar groove will throw the chain alot ...
I think that old chain must have been run in gritty conditions and possibly heated up and then stuck into something wet , like snow ... Those things and being run with too little oil .... It doesn,t take much too ruin a chain .....And when their ruined , they are ruined .........

Bars chains and sprockets are pretty high maintenance parts ....

The 359 is not an XP series saw, and it has an outboard clutch, which takes a special tool to remove. I bet he just had the wrong chain on it, it looked way too big.

New 372 compared to MS460

The new , 75 cc 372 Husky has within a cc of the same displacement as the 046/460 , ..................The 460 is a nice fairly hot saw out of the box , but no more than the 372 . I,ve run them side by side and there isn,t much difference ........The big difference for me was the Husky is easier on the hands and where it is stretched out a bit it is more comfortable to run....Either one with a 24-32 " bar is a great saw ......I,ve had and cut timber with 3 of each ,,I prefer the 372

It,s interesting that Stihl copied the husky in some ways with the 441 ...

Latest posts

Back