Cut Through my Chaps - Next Set?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jfitz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Had a mishap in the woods Saturday.

View attachment 91909

View attachment 91910

View attachment 91911

Snag came down on me while cutting another and I moved the wrong way (bent over) with the saw running, not too swift, clear snags first... Anyhow, I cut through my chaps and my carharts, I had a pair of the Kevlar four plys (at least I took your advice and had all the gear on).
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=1641

A trip to the ER and back to fire calls but no cutting until new chaps. I am thinking of Labonville for the next set. Advice appreciated.

- http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=14&idproduct=406

Jim

Glad to see you are ok... Hate to think of how bad that could have been....

From what I have read on here, Labonville are about the best deal,,,
I hope I never have to test mine out.........

True to form...seems there is almost always 2 distinct cuts. Glad you had them on.

Kevlar four plys

Stihl chaps are 6 ply (IIRC), Husqvarna chaps are 5 ply, regular Labonville are 7 ply and their competition chaps are 10. Whichever way you go, they'll be better than what you were wearing.

I have the Labonville 7 ply full wraps.

Ian

Last edited:
man sorry to see that man. hope you get better soon. i have had first hand experice with that. hurts BAD!!!!!! i got 48 stitches on my left leg. i missed my femoral artery by about an 1/8 of an inch. buried the bar of an 066 36" bar full skip square ground chain. no chaps. i cut for 3 minutes and then was on the ground. lucky my cousin was with me to get help. be safe man. were the chaps. i do now, all the time. :cheers:

A trip to the ER and back to fire calls but no cutting until new chaps. I am thinking of Labonville for the next set. Advice appreciated.

I already have the full wrap regular Labonville chaps, and have the comp ones on order.

Stihl chaps are 6 ply (IIRC), Husqvarna chaps are 5 ply, regular Labonville are 7 ply and their competition chaps are 10. . . .. . . .. . ....

Not trying to be smart here but the Labonville site says "6 ply" for their regular chaps

Not trying to be smart here but the Labonville site says "6 ply" for their regular chaps

Maybe I got that backwards then... Stihl 7 and Labonville 6.. I think Stihl had a 9 listed in their catalog but the dealer didn't know anything about them.

Ian

glad the damage was not worst, had you NOT been wearing your 4 ply chaps. what brand was the damaged chaps... looks like we need to stay away and/or retire that model.

retired my old Stihl chaps... which felt like there was not enough protection there.

went with Labonville 10 ply chaps... a bit stiffer to break in... but well worth the peace of mind.

I wonder how many sales Labonville will get out of this little post ?
OR, putting it another way.
How many cumulative hours-days-months of misery were are saving members and lurkers.

For the Aussies and Kiwis, Kiwi made Clogger chaps seem to be very well made and designed, although I have no idea how many 'layers' they use. (and at least they are green and not the fluro orange the US made ones all seem to be :monkey:)

For the Aussies and Kiwis, Kiwi made Clogger chaps seem to be very well made and designed, although I have no idea how many 'layers' they use. (and at least they are green and not the fluro orange the US made ones all seem to be :monkey:)

I'm all for supporting local products and while the quality may be fine, the problem is the price. The Labonville chaps can be landed in Oz for about AUS$125 and I really like the fluoro-orange - it tells anyone around me I take my safety seriously and to keep away. :chainsaw: The green ones are too friendly. :)

Looks like JFitz got nicked. Are there two cuts because the chain has left side and right side cutters?

Sounds like wvlogger got cut bad, jfitz can be glad he had some chaps on.

Labonville gives you a choice, everything is available in red/orange (goes well with Dolmar) or dark green. I thought it over and decided that there was nothing wrong with being visible and ordered the orange ones last year when the 10 ply were $79 in my size. ($71 after 10% discount)

Re:

Thanks guys,

I am planning on getting the full wrap 10 ply set from Labonville today, with maybe a few other goodies. I posted the pics as a bit of a dose of reality to myself and a warning to others, I know I was lucky and hope this never happens again. The should have been more careful and taken my time and avoided it. Any other suggestions to pick up from the Labonville folks?

Jim

Glad to see you are ok... Hate to think of how bad that could have been....

From what I have read on here, Labonville are about the best deal,,,
I hope I never have to test mine out.........

Tell you what, I have a pair and I feel exactly the same way. If I never personally know if they work or not, I'm a happy man.

Mark

I have a set of the 10-ply and I'd like to mention they are very warm. They are great for cutting in the cold weather, but hell in the summer. You might want to consider a set of each for different climates. I like having the extra protection of the heavier chaps, but they do me no good if they are sitting in the truck in warm weather... I'd get a set of each.

Latest posts

Back