Cutting Red Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot who brought it up but it is laying right next to a very heavily traveled dirt/stone road, new chains on all actually but didn't think of the road until you guys said it I bet I am getting a lot of that in there. Also the vehicles that travel on this road are heavy military equipment and tanks so on so forth, I bet its really kicking it in there.

I forgot who brought it up but it is laying right next to a very heavily traveled dirt/stone road, new chains on all actually but didn't think of the road until you guys said it I bet I am getting a lot of that in there. Also the vehicles that travel on this road are heavy military equipment and tanks so on so forth, I bet its really kicking it in there.
I would say you just hit the nail on the head.

If ya get tired of that darned old Echo 670, Ill gladly take it off your hands, and put it to good use....:cheers:

Which "red oak" species are you dealing with? Northern shouldn't be a problem unless it is really dirty. I've found Pin Oak (also a red oak) to be much harder to cut. Made a hand rail out of some - it was much harder than northern red.

Stihl Sawing - I thought that was rock maple.

I should ask I see you have a 441 and 660 can I ask which one you use for oak normally I am guessing the 441, my dad just opted out the 441 for a 440 cuz the price difference he found a new one. he had a 046, 044 and I believe 066 and all were stolen so he bought this echo 670 which I now have cuz he hates it. But I was wondering cuz if your using that 441 I may not mess around this week and just wait to use his 440.

It depends on the the size. I use either saw. The 660 is faster for big stuff of course. Either saw has plenty of power for big stuff.

I'd just wait to use the 440.

This would be better.

1209530181844-1.jpg

Hey guys figured I would bat this around been cutting seasoned red oak and it is having its tolls on my saws and my patience, I have had the chain smoking hot on 3 saws and dull within 2 cuts on one of the saws forcing me to constantly sharpen in the field, I am using 2 main saws about 60 cc on a pretty aggressive chains any suggestions to help me? Maybe a bigger saw? Or a better chain? takes me all day to cut and load a bed full of logs and anyone in here that has spent 3 days straight cutting and loading oak knows I am in pain right now lol, thanks guys.

What do you mean by "pretty aggressive chains?" Can you post a picture of your filing job?

Hey guys figured I would bat this around been cutting seasoned red oak and it is having its tolls on my saws and my patience, I have had the chain smoking hot on 3 saws and dull within 2 cuts on one of the saws forcing me to constantly sharpen in the field, I am using 2 main saws about 60 cc on a pretty aggressive chains any suggestions to help me? Maybe a bigger saw? Or a better chain? takes me all day to cut and load a bed full of logs and anyone in here that has spent 3 days straight cutting and loading oak knows I am in pain right now lol, thanks guys.

I don't think oak has anything to do with things but I bet dirt does. Wood doesn't dull your chain.

Back