Cutting up a big red oak.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are pretty cheap mills Rick 36 inch alaska mill ,and get nice boards ,a 25 clear up to 41 inch bar works on the 36 inch i have milling cedar 5-11-15 425.JPG

I will noodle those downs to eights so I can pick them up. Wouldn't even try to roll that up on the truck.
I have two 2x8"s,,which I had plates that are bent,,for the ends that set on the tailgate............space them enough to step thru only,,and youd be REALLY surprised,,how big a log you can roll into the truck!!!! and even bigger,,with a bit of help!!!! almost enough,,to break the 2x8"s!!!

For occasional use it is fine,I have a 41 inch bar and my 461 does a good job,I am pretty sure Mike Mills with his 460 also

Those would be fun I bet, Don't think the 460 would make a good milling saw though.
I use my 46 with a 32"'bar on a mill from time to time. Just depends on what saw I have handy if I use it or not. I've milled a good bit with it.

Did you happen to buy the HO oiler when you got a new one?

I have two 2x8"s,,which I had plates that are bent,,for the ends that set on the tailgate............space them enough to step thru only,,and youd be REALLY surprised,,how big a log you can roll into the truck!!!! and even bigger,,with a bit of help!!!! almost enough,,to break the 2x8"s!!!

It is amazing how big of a round you can load with the right technique. This is some Red Fir my wife and I cut and loaded into my old pickup using only a 2x12 plank. Wasn't hard to load at all.

The last cut on this tree measured 42".

Attachments

• Red Fir.jpg
    Red Fir.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 95
  • Red Fir 1.jpg
    Red Fir 1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 95
Dude what happened to your head? Is that from grunting while loading those rounds into your truck?

It is amazing how big of a round you can load with the right technique. This is some Red Fir my wife and I cut and loaded into my old pickup using only a 2x12 plank. Wasn't hard to load at all.

The last cut on this tree measured 42".

If those were red oak rounds the tailgate might just be ground level, no need for a plank.

I will noodle those downs to eights so I can pick them up. Wouldn't even try to roll that up on the truck.

Can your maul or fiskers bust that up, or maybe after having. Very rarely do we have to noodle red oak around here as it splits sooo easy.

A good trick for splitting big rounds is to make a bore cut where you want to start your split and then put the wedge in the kerf. Makes it a lot easier to drive your wedges. I found it easier to noodle the big rounds vs. splitting. They had a lot of knots in the middle that kept them from being split easy.

I don't know exactly how much those rounds weighed but it had to be at least 600-700lbs. They were chock full of water, it would ooze out when a wedge was driven in. The arborist that topped and dropped the tree estimated the trunk section at 20,000 pounds.

A good trick for splitting big rounds is to make a bore cut where you want to start your split and then put the wedge in the kerf. Makes it a lot easier to drive your wedges. I found it easier to noodle the big rounds vs. splitting. They had a lot of knots in the middle that kept them from being split easy.

I don't know exactly how much those rounds weighed but it had to be at least 600-700lbs. They were chock full of water, it would ooze out when a wedge was driven in. The arborist that topped and dropped the tree estimated the trunk section at 20,000 pounds.
most people,,dont realize,,just how damn heavy, live trees cut down weigh.........cottonwood, me thinks is the worst,,till its dry,,then its balsa.................

Latest posts

Back