death by dust ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MCW is correct. I cut soft woods mostly and never have dust in the intake. I cut a lot of fire kill as well and that **** dusts out the whole area around you when cutting but those are with bigger saws with better filters and never see dust in there intake either. i lower my rakers down to .030 out of the box though so my chains sling some massive chips very little dust. I actually usually go 3 days cutting with the husky's before I need to clean the filter. Stihls need a filter cleaning twice a day :( kinda weird how there are a lot of old husky's running that same nylon junk that run great 20yrs later without a rebuild but the new ones can't hack it. Oh well. I'm gonna keep running them. I got enough where I can blow up 15 and still have some left :)

WWHD?

Well would begin by checking the build date of the saw to see if it has the updated air filter holder, those built after week 47, 2012 will have the updated part.
Individual cutting conditions should dictate ones maintenance level. Apart from the HD filter setup I have yet to see a filter that's god at keeping out the fines.

Thanks Hamish. I checked the saw in question, FWIW early 2012.

-dave

Oh my ! Today is just not my day! Beside havin 101 fever and sick as hell my poor 362 gets beat up on!! Lol

Its ok buddy , i was taken by all the reviews on the website too , its the "only" saw plan now..the ms 362c is awesome..i know it..now you know it..and randy knows it too so you guys should be happy :)

All this talk got me thinking I'd better have a look under that seal. It washed right off, but there was a lot of dust in the bearing.

View attachment 394320

Seems to confirm that the saw was ingesting a lot of dust in its last days.

Mark

Man....that just ain't right. :eek:

I had this parts saw up on a shelf, I assumed the cylinder would be toast based on the model (McCulloch PM800), finding only a damaged piston and some seals I can replace, I think it was a great find in fact. I have no idea how it got that way but certainly appears to be a result of operation without a filter.

Mark

Well I thought a little grease on rim of the air horn would help and I was wrong. I hadn't looked at this for a while. This saw has a build date of 2013 and I haven't probably got 10 hours on it.

Sorry about the lack of a macro setting on the camera. FWIW, my 550XPG has the same issue. I took a picture of the throat of my 346XP which has at least 20 times the # of hours on it and not a speck of dust and it had a nylon filter to boot and not the flocked!

For reference, I took a Q tip and removed the debris in the center of the intake for reference.

1531api.jpg

2pttfs2.jpg

16jkch2.jpg

The 550XPG

This has a lot more time on it.

2sacy29.jpg

The 346XP with a ton of time on it. Don't even think about saying I don't know how to sharpen chains either.:buttkick:

uxbo0.jpg

I am sure the wood we cut is alot different. It rains a lot here and wood stays moist most of the time. But in order for my carbs to get that dirty I'd have to cut for months without cleaning.

Back