Decisions, Decisions...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K.C.

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK, first post here for me, but have been lurking for a bit and reading a bunch, and want to thank you all for sharing your wealth of knowledge!

I believe I am in the early stages of CAD and find myself in the market for a BIGGER saw!:) I currently have a 35cc MacCat/18" that was recently brought out of mothballs and given a DIY muffler mod and a "freebie" 50cc Echo CS520/20" (muff-mod) but due to a newly aquired mountain cabin and associated need for firewood I want to get someting in the 70+cc range that will pull a bigger bar. Most of what I've been cutting is large fir & pine (36" trunks and smaller) along with all of the oak I can find. My current saws do some decent work but are undersized & overpowered on the bigger stuff up at 6000 ft elevation.

I found a used Stihl 046/32" that is 'near new' (bought new in '06) for about half the price of a new MS460. I'd rather save the money and get the used saw but want your opinions on the older Stihls vs. newer Stihls - that is a good condition 4 year old 046 vs. a new MS460. I have a local dealer near where I live and one about 45 mins away from my cabin. I like the fact that parts for these are readily available and generally close at hand (10 minutes from home).

Just to complicate matters, I have always respected and wanted a Stihl but have been reading with interest about the Dol-Kita 7900 and the SOLO 681. Other than pictures I have never seen either one. Of course my closest Dolmar dealer at home is about 45 minutes away (out in the boonies), but there is one that is almost across the street from the Stihl dealer nearest to my cabin. There are 2 Solo dealer's (Bailey's and an ACE Hardware) "sort of" on my way to my cabin.

Given those options, I would like to get all opinions and comments from the group as to the 046 vs MS460 vs 7900 vs 681. I'm not sure what the cost of the Dolmar is but I assume it's comperable to the Makita version - more than the used 046, but less than the MS460. I am just a "weekend warrior" and really try to take good care of my equipment.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the site. First off you are somewhat blessed with localized dealers of different manufactures. Baileys within driving distance is a dream in its own right. You'll get advice here alright. Probably cant go wrong with any pro saw in the 70cc class. Actually cant think of any 70cc saw currently being made thats not a pro grade saw. Check them out, pick them up, squeeze them tight, you'll know when its the right one. REJ2

If I could find a near new 046 for half the price of new I would be all over that like a settin' hen on a housecat!!!

With your savings you could buy a 20"-24" bar and chain because you don't need a 32" to cut what you are cutting and the extra length is a detriment to the task and your safety.

Mike

Sounds like you're getting a deal on that 046. There apples to apples comparing them to a 460. Same saw, different number.

You may like some other brands too, but IMO the 460/046 is hard to beat and to find one in great shape for 400 bucks is a steal. I'd be on that.

Forget all of 'em and quit screwing around.

Pick up a 372xp.:D

Seriously, Solo has about the same level of dealer support, as a 10 year old Yugo.
Great saws! Just sold and marketed by complete idjits that do not back thier dealers or customers. If your local dealer has a good program with Solo and has for any amount of time, he's "That guy", the one and only. The rest will hurl things at you for mentioning the name, then double check the scraped off Solo sticker on the door.

The 046 used and cheap is a no brainer.
It allows the wallet to recover faster so a second saw can be had in a shorter amount of time.;)

The 460 is a good saw, but will cost more and comes with those idiotic nancy boy "Flippy" caps", that drives Men to wearing tutu's and subscribing to interior decorator Magazines. Think of it as the Oprah signature model 046.

Which brings us to the Dolly 7900.
Forget it.

Use the $$$ saved by picking up the 046 to get a Home depot saw, and slap a 7900 top end on it.
By then you'll have enough wood cut with the 046 to last 4-5 years, Own a Ported 346xpNE,and be as opinionated about flippy caps and oil as the rest here.:D

Just stay away from Old Mac's and Homies...folks tend to smply lose thier mind and start building 60x120 pole barns after getting the Mac or Homie bug.
Chuck Norris has been called out by the DOD for several Mac and Homie interventions that went bad...It's rumored that Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait simply to have room for his Mac AND Homie collection.
Don't do it.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Seriously, Solo has about the same level of dealer support, as a 10 year old Yugo.
Great saws! Just sold and marketed by complete idjits that do not back thier dealers or customers. If your local dealer has a good program with Solo and has for any amount of time, he's "That guy", the one and only. The rest will hurl things at you for mentioning the name, then double check the scraped off Solo sticker on the door.

EDIT: sorry man, I'll hit you when it lets me again.

It allows the wallet to recover faster so a second saw can be had in a shorter amount of time.;)

The 460 is a good saw, but will cost more and comes with those idiotic nancy boy "Flippy" caps", that drives Men to wearing tutu's and subscribing to interior decorator Magazines. Think of it as the Oprah signature model 046.

Forget it.

Use the $$$ saved by picking up the 046 to get a Home depot saw, and slap a 7900 top end on it.
By then you'll have enough wood cut with the 046 to last 4-5 years, Own a Ported 346xpNE,and be as opinionated about flippy caps and oil as the rest here.:D

Just stay away from Old Mac's and Homies...folks tend to smply lose thier mind and start building 60x120 pole barns after getting the Mac or Homie bug.
Chuck Norris has been called out by the DOD for several Mac and Homie interventions that went bad...It's rumored that Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait simply to have room for his Mac AND Homie collection.
Don't do it.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Man, I have read your post since I've been on this forum and they never cease to get me chucklin! Rep for you for always having something funny to say while getting your point across!

EDIT: sorry man, I'll hit you when it lets me again!

Forget it.

Don't do it.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

:agree2: Buy a 65-75cc Husky. Fun to work with, fun to mod as well.

There apples to apples comparing them to a 460. Same saw, different number.

The used saw is what I was leaning towards anyway so I will try to "seal the deal" on it. I was mostly wondering if there was more EPA crap on the 2010 saws than would have been on an '06 model? Originally I was looking for something in the 26 - 28" bar range before I found the used 32" so it makes sense to use the $ for a shorter bar and new chains, if I do get that saw!

And I was considering a 372xp, but why did Husky stop making them??

Unfortunately I have a soft spot for Mac's and when I bought the cabin I found an abandoned Homie 240 out in the shed that will become a project of some type I'm sure. It looks like its only missing the air cleaner & cover...

Thanks for the input so far!

The 372 is being phased out cause the epa. There have been spy shots of new 372s that are supposed to be strato.

It sucks fresh air in somewhere else besides just the regular carb. The 441 one carb has 2 barrels on with fuel and air and one just air.

it looks like a 70cc saw will serve you well. 044 440 7900 046 460 372 yada yada if its 70ccs its built well and built to work ohh forgot the 372.

i look for 70cc stihls that dont run they uslay dont need much work or cash to revive them and they make killer firewood saws when modded alittle or heck even stock with a fresh top end they run very good.

if the 046 is 400 or less id probly grab it if i was in the market, toss a compression gauge on it and make sure its above 140. if its 120-140 id use this as bargaining tool and try and talk it down to 250-300 buccks also take torxe and pop the muffler cover off and make sure theres no lines or smearing across the piston.
again if there are marks on the piston this is startn to turn into a 200 dollar saw of wich i like to see 30 dollar piston or heck 130 big bore kit vac and pressure check the bottom end then rebuild and your good to go for many years to come

good luck on whatever you find

If its an 046, im thinking it's a lot older than 2006....I thought they changed model numbers back around 2001???? Can somebody verify??

Either way, if it's nice and clean, it's a no brainer. Buy it, I would. But if the guy told you he bought it new in 06', he is lying.

im not sure doesnt realy matter if its ten years old or 3 though but i do think the 046 went unchanged for quite awhile when did the 440 come out?

i did some google searchn it appears theres talk of the 046 in forumnsback in 2006

Last edited:
take torxe and pop the muffler cover off and make sure theres no lines or smearing across the piston.

Great Idea - Thanks! Can someone tell me what size Torx bit I would need to pop the muffler to inspect the piston? This is kind of turning into a situation where a friend/co-worker will likely be checking it out for me since it's a bit of a drive from where I live so I would want him to have the right size bit with him (he's well versed on 2-stroke motors so I would trust his judgement).

Is there anyway to find out for certain when the model #'s changed?

The 044 and 046 went to the 440/460 around the same time. 2000-2001.

If you can find a like new 046 for that price, grab it. He could have bought it new in '06 as NOS from a dealer. It would be a 2000 or later model though. You can't go wrong with any of the 70cc Stihls, the 044/046 440/460 or 441.:D

Back