Didier splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cigarman - that's good news. 10W-40 will do nicely, a real air-cooled motorcycle engine oil. We've always got that. I'm grateful to you for your trouble. Since I'm writing, do you know if anyone has replacement jaws (the ones that go round the top of the I-beam)? It looks like these distort with time. Otherwise, I shall have to get some made.

Have a good weekend.

Keith

There are, to the best of my knowledge, no specific parts available for any of these machines. I had my ram rebuilt at a hydraulic shop and then when I needed a valve I bought it at a farm supply store that carried hydraulic parts. Anything you'd need like those jaws would have to be a custom or retro-fit job.
Best of luck to you.

There are, to the best of my knowledge, no specific parts available for any of these machines. I had my ram rebuilt at a hydraulic shop and then when I needed a valve I bought it at a farm supply store that carried hydraulic parts. Anything you'd need like those jaws would have to be a custom or retro-fit job.
Best of luck to you.

Thanks, my friend. I'll see what I can arrange, and let you know. After 30+ years of use, this must be a popular item for replacement. It definitely needs doing before failure and additional damage is done to the ram or other less replaceable items.

Enjoy the Spring sunshine!

Keith

Thanks, my friend. I'll see what I can arrange, and let you know. After 30+ years of use, this must be a popular item for replacement. It definitely needs doing before failure and additional damage is done to the ram or other less replaceable items.

Enjoy the Spring sunshine!

Keith

Yeah Cheers Keith, The weather was splendid here in Upstate New York today.
I purchased my Hydra-Splitter last fall and it had been sitting idle (outside, but covered) for years. Upon getting it going I had some slight leaking in the ram seals. I wound up just replacing all the hoses as a preventative measure and then had the seals and rings replaced on the ram. It runs like a champ now. Good for another 30 years... at least.

Cigarman - that's good news. 10W-40 will do nicely, a real air-cooled motorcycle engine oil. We've always got that. I'm grateful to you for your trouble. Since I'm writing, do you know if anyone has replacement jaws (the ones that go round the top of the I-beam)? It looks like these distort with time. Otherwise, I shall have to get some made.

Have a good weekend.

Keith

I had a local machine shop make them for me.
It was $90 for the bronze and $110 for the machining.
Not cheap but works great

I'm fairly new here so hello.I pick up a mf26 from a guy up the road for $150.00.Rebuild ram with gold 5hp.She runs good after I lock tite the bolts to the carb.But I didn't hook up all the springs that going to the linkage.When I got it they were off so,I was hoping that it would show how to hook all that stuff in the manuals that Shari has.I will shot her a P.M. Thank you,Paul

troy built roto tiller w/firewood splitter
Date: 2012-03-21, 9:31PM

Old troy built roto tiller with wood splitter attachment. For parts or rebuild 8 hp motor. Drive right to wood pile.

Responded to this ad on CL. Guy called today and said it was sold. I was the 2nd guy to respond, first guy bought it. The killer is the price was $100:msp_ohmy:. Damn and my dad has a Troy built tiller that works.

I'll put on a log. Then I'll push the ram's handle down to make the ram go forward. It works fine till it hits its max extension point. Once it hits that point it immediately stalls my engine. I have to re-start the engine and put the handle in reverse.

Same thing in the reverse cycle. Ram retracts fine, but when it fully retracts and hits its max "in" spot it immediately stalls my engine.

Is that action (stalling the engine when the ram extends fully) normal? Do all splitters do that? If it's a malfunction, what's your best guess about what's wrong and how to fix it?

I am having the exact same problem. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

This morning I removed the smaller cap and adjusted the allen screw. It works perfectly now. Thank you very much for your input triptester.:rock:

Detent valve

I have ,what I think, is an older didier splitter.
It has the valve on the side of the piston,not on the top.
I would like to put a detent valve on it.
Is there one made for the side or will I have to modify to put a top mount on.

Thanks

I have thought I have saw a Didier splitter before, My Aunt's best friends dad use to own Montgomery Ward. They use to be good splitters and still are!

Mine is exactly the same Bigblock. Slow but reliable. I usually turn the kids loose with it and run my Iron and Oak myself.

Back