Diesel Powered Splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejdman04

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I currently own a spee co splitter. I have had it less then a year and am VERY disappointed. Out of the 8-9 months I have owned it, it has been in the shop for about 3 months. It had to have the coil replaced on the motor, and the cylinder replaced already. Now (its a vertical horizontal splitter) where the splitter attaches to the frame theres a pin that the splitter pivots on, but where the pin attaches to the frame (which is also the tank), the welds are cracked already. Spee co says theyll fix it, but theyll mount my splitter, engine, hydraulic pump, tires (everything) on a new tank. Could take quite a while to get a new tank freighted in and could take a week or 2 once they get the tank in to switch stuff over. I would like a processor, but dont now if I can afford it right now. I think for the time being, I need something like a timberwolf tw5. I would like the super splitter for speed, but I do split some oak logs that are honestly 40" in diameter, while thats not the normal, I would like something with a log lift, and good power. I have searched on here (and google) for a diesel powered splitter (like a tw5 timberwolf, that size and power). I cant find a diesel powered splitter. I realize you have speed rpm to spin a hydrualic pump, but I have seen diesel powered generators (even small 3500-5000 watt range). Suburu engines make smaller diesel engines that spin at decent rpm. The generator I had that had a suburu diesel engine ran forever on a tank of fuel. Even though it was spinning fast, it had the fuel efficiency and power. Yanmar makes diesels that are long lasting and spin at enough rpms to run a hydraulic pump. So my question is does anyone make a diesel powered log splitter, like the timber wolf tw5 or tw6? I need something fuel efficient and long lasting.

I can't answer your question, but one thing to consider is the diesel fumes.I can sit on my Kubota all day long and not have it bother me, but I am moving.Only time I've ever felt sea-sick was when trolling off-shore with a good trailing breeze in a diesel boat.Something to consider if you are sensitive to the smell.

coog has really good point. Depending on how old or new the smell can be nasty. Like sick feeling nasty. When I fire up the truck at work on Monday, we hit the cruise control and run the motor up to 12k and run. When they get warm it's not bad, but depends again how new or old the motor is. I thought about this as well. There's many reefer trailer's left sitting in the city with I gusse a 3cyc motor.

diesel log splitter

I currently own a spee co splitter. I have had it less then a year and am VERY disappointed. Out of the 8-9 months I have owned it, it has been in the shop for about 3 months. It had to have the coil replaced on the motor, and the cylinder replaced already. Now (its a vertical horizontal splitter) where the splitter attaches to the frame theres a pin that the splitter pivots on, but where the pin attaches to the frame (which is also the tank), the welds are cracked already. Spee co says theyll fix it, but theyll mount my splitter, engine, hydraulic pump, tires (everything) on a new tank. Could take quite a while to get a new tank freighted in and could take a week or 2 once they get the tank in to switch stuff over. I would like a processor, but dont now if I can afford it right now. I think for the time being, I need something like a timberwolf tw5. I would like the super splitter for speed, but I do split some oak logs that are honestly 40" in diameter, while thats not the normal, I would like something with a log lift, and good power. I have searched on here (and google) for a diesel powered splitter (like a tw5 timberwolf, that size and power). I can't find a diesel powered splitter. I realize you have speed rpm to spin a hydraulic pump, but I have seen diesel powered generators (even small 3500-5000 watt range). Subaru engines make smaller diesel engines that spin at decent rpm. The generator I had that had a subaru diesel engine ran forever on a tank of fuel. Even though it was spinning fast, it had the fuel efficiency and power. Yanmar makes diesels that are long lasting and spin at enough rpms to run a hydraulic pump. So my question is does anyone make a diesel powered log splitter, like the timber wolf tw5 or tw6? I need something fuel efficient and long lasting.

The decision is do you want a 2 cycle diesel or four cycle diesel.

You may end up having to buy one from european builder to get diesel power.

Another option is buy a used TW5 and repower it with a Yanmar sized to the pump mounting and crank shaft size.

A third option is re-powering your splitter with an electric motor sized to the application and buying a good generator to power it. The hydralic pump will work very well being powered by the eletric motor with little effort and no fumes where you are working

that option is win, win as you can have electricity for work lighting, the wide screen TV, DVR, cooling fans, drink mixer, air conditioner, television, satellite antenna, satellite phone, bug zapper, kerosene salamander to keep warm, battery charger for the Zamboni, etc. :^)

It may be worth your while to contact the folks at Rainer hydraulics, they make the "Chomper" fire wood processor a lot of folks have them and are very happy with them. Red prospector has a 14 model and he is very happy with it.

They also make a tractor powered chomper as well which mounted to the three point hitch of a tractor.

Please look at thier web site (www.chomper.com)

I would keep the Speeco as they are repairing it for you and look at the small Chomper, saving the speeco for larger firewood untill you are totally fed up with it.

Its a case of what is your sanity worth to you?

leon:chainsaw: :dizzy: :givebeer: :cheers: :agree2:

attachment.php

Currently on my splitter I have an 11 hp gasoline wisconsin/robin engine. Someday when it wears out I'm going to put on of my air cooled diesel engines on it. To date I have put them on an original cub cadet original, wheelhorse and a 1953 national mower.

As far as fumes are concerened, just us a tall exhaust muffler with a flapper cap. You could run 10 hours a day on one gallon of diesel.

Here is a pic of a lombardini (italian made) 10hp diesel.

attachment.php

Here is a 10hp lombardini. It even has glow plugs for cold starting.

If a log splitter manufacturer was to build a splitter with a single cylinder air cooled diesel engine it would be very expensive. Aside from the yanmar clones that are made in china your best bet would be to find a used/running small single cylinder diesel engine.

The main problema with small diesel engines are cost, EPA emissions and service/parts. A few European made diesels are small enough to be used for a splitter application but the costs over a compatible Honda gasser engine might surprise you. The easiest correlation is to check out ZTR mowers from the better manufactures. Diesels are reserved for only the high end machines and to my knowledge exclusively liquid cooled (yanmars and Kubota). Way overboard for a log splitter. Best solution for a diesel powered rig is to buy a PTO splitter and run it off a diesel tractor. Shame to burn up a perfectly good tractor just splitting wood but it is your money.

The main problema with small diesel engines are cost, EPA emissions and service/parts. A few European made diesels are small enough to be used for a splitter application but the costs over a compatible Honda gasser engine might surprise you. The easiest correlation is to check out ZTR mowers from the better manufactures. Diesels are reserved for only the high end machines and to my knowledge exclusively liquid cooled (yanmars and Kubota). Way overboard for a log splitter. Best solution for a diesel powered rig is to buy a PTO splitter and run it off a diesel tractor. Shame to burn up a perfectly good tractor just splitting wood but it is your money.

Cost for new air cooled single cylinder diesels are very high. BUT, all 9 of mine including 2 new old stock engines were all under $300.

I wanted to buy a diesel splitter to so I could use diesel fuel from the farm instead of having to buy gas.I looked around for a long time but no one makes one. Northern tool has small diesel engines you could put on a splitter I used a small walk behind compactor for a week that had the hatz diesel on it and I did not have any issues with diesel exhaust fumes I could tell it was a diesel but nothing over powring. The only thing that kept me from putting one on my spilter was the price of the engine. Heres a link to the engines. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_6970_76+85

attachment.php

I wanted to buy a diesel splitter to so I could use diesel fuel from the farm instead of having to buy gas.I looked around for a long time but no one makes one. Northern tool has small diesel engines you could put on a splitter I used a small walk behind compactor for a week that had the hatz diesel on it and I did not have any issues with diesel exhaust fumes I could tell it was a diesel but nothing over powring. The only thing that kept me from putting one on my spilter was the price of the engine. Heres a link to the engines. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_6970_76+85

Here is a hatz 1B40. It's the same $2500 hatz 10hp engine thats in the northern catalog. I got one for $300 used/running. It's on my wheelhorse tractor thats plowing snow for me in the winter and mowing my lawn in the summer.

Used diesels are out there cheap.

If I were to buy a processor it wouldnt be a chomper. Thats my opinion. I wouldn't mind paying even a 2000 dollar premium for a diesel engine to get longevity and be able to put farm diesel (yes I know more expensive then gas but readily available at my place) in it.

If I were to buy a processor it wouldnt be a chomper. Thats my opinion. I wouldn't mind paying even a 2000 dollar premium for a diesel engine to get longevity and be able to put farm diesel (yes I know more expensive then gas but readily available at my place) in it.

This thread went from diesel wood splitters to diesel firewood processors. I am positive there are diesel powered processors on the market. Bring a truck load of $$$.

Hey Wkpoor I don't know if I asked you before, but did you try it without the added pump before you built it? I talked to one dealer who said my Kubota's 11 gpm would be more than enough.
I know I did tell you before how nice yours looks.

This thread went from diesel wood splitters to diesel firewood processors. I am positive there are diesel powered processors on the market. Bring a truck load of $$$.

I know, one guy mentioned a pbuying a chomper firewood processor. I want a processor, but unless I find the right used one I cant afford it right now. I ralize you can repower about anything, but I was wondering if somone made from the factory a diesel powered splitter (a big splitter like the tw5.

I've seen one homebuilt splitter using a diesel. Nice unit.
For a reasonable proccesor the Hud-son Badger has caought my eye, here's a used one in upstate NY:http://syracuse.craigslist.org/bfs/982753526.html
There is a video on youtube.
But it's gas.

I have been nothing but impressed with American CLS:
http://www.americanmsr.com/home.htm

I really want one, but funds are short right now. Click on the information button and shoot them an e-mail about what you are wanting. Every machine is custom built, so they might be able to accomodate your needs.

diesel splitter

I like leon's electric conversion with a diesel generator the best. By far the best bang for the buck.

Latest posts

Back