Differences between 026 models ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Lary

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question but here goes nothing. My brother has an 026 that does not have a high speed jet? I offered to mod the muffler a little and told him then I will open the hs jet a little. So the next day he called me and told me his saw had no hs jet. I never did his muffler because of this I did and do not know what would happen if you open his muffler and not the jet?
Now 4 days later I find and buy a nice 026 myself and lo and behold it has a hs jet? So are there other differences between these 2 saws? I did not and will not be modding my 026, because I want to sell it so I will not mess with it Thanks Jeff

Good luck getting any sensible answers on here about your 026 carb. Most will tell you you have an air leak.

The handles were different some plastic, some metal, as you know, 026 does not have a decomp valve or adjustable oiler, the 026 PRO does. Some saws have fixed H jet carbs, some don't.

Looks like there were some variations in the muffler covers and some air filter variations.

That's all I know about, maybe someone else got something I missed.

Personally I wouldn't mod a muffler with a fixed jet carb, although after muffler mods I have rarely had to make any huge swings in adjustment I wouldn't want to spend time modding a muffler only to find out I'm too lean after the modification.

Duke just about covered it all. You can swap out the fixed jet on that carb, too.

When I bought my project 026 Pro, I sprung for a new carb off ebay that had the H screw. Wasn't too expensive.

I've got one 026 with a fixed jet and one with both jets. They both run great. If you have a choice, pick the one with two. If your saw has one, don't worry about it, go cut wood. I agree with Duke that many saws need very little if any carb adjustment after a muff mod but I also would recommend not cutting the muffler on a single adjustment 026.

The handles were different some plastic, some metal, as you know, 026 does not have a decomp valve or adjustable oiler, the 026 PRO does. Some saws have fixed H jet carbs, some don't.

Looks like there were some variations in the muffler covers and some air filter variations.

That's all I know about, maybe someone else got something I missed.

Personally I wouldn't mod a muffler with a fixed jet carb, although after muffler mods I have rarely had to make any huge swings in adjustment I wouldn't want to spend time modding a muffler only to find out I'm too lean after the modification.
Exactly my worry too thanks ,Jeff

I've got one 026 with a fixed jet and one with both jets. They both run great. If you have a choice, pick the one with two. If your saw has one, don't worry about it, go cut wood. I agree with Duke that many saws need very little if any carb adjustment after a muff mod but I also would recommend not cutting the muffler on a single adjustment 026.
Yea I wont be touching his saw, if a tree fell on that saw a month later he would blame my mod !

Fuel lines are different along with clutch drum/ oiler differences

Early model saws require a stihl only clutch drum and later model saws the drum is available aftermarket so you run into some saws that have small spline rims and others that have the stihl mini spline rim.

Latest posts

Back