Different felling cuts and their uses.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Is there a reference somewhere that details the various cuts and what each is best suited for? I could google but figure someone in here might have already stumbled upon something they know is easy to follow and covers most bases. Thanks in advance.

It's no secret. The whisky backhander undercut is old news and so passée these days. Almost as much as non-constructive mocking. I would like to think constructive mocking is making a comeback.

Ok fine. It is a little hard to type while hanging my head in shame but I'll do it for you. There are so many proven methods even a book like Dent's or Beranek's can really only give an overview. Still I recommend both books. Applying what you read is the hard part. An experienced faller is your best source.

I should have stated the obvious, I use a gunning cut, a Humboldt, and backcut 99% of the time. These three cuts go in fast and they work. Simple is best. The most common technique I add is to cut the corners.

Last edited:
Felling Style

Well you just asked a question that is dangerous :laugh:The way to fall a tree can very different from left coast to right coast and north to down south :laugh: It will depend on species of timber,dead wood and or green wood. Also the face cut depends on the end use of the tree,merch timber versus firewood.So like any one learning is a three step proceeds,study and then have some one show the basics of tree falling and then practice it till you are to old to lift a saw:msp_thumbup:

Last edited:
Well you just asked a question that is dangerous :laugh:The way to fall a tree can very different from left coast to right coast and north to down south :laugh: It will depend on species of timber,dead wood and or green wood. Also the face cut depends on the end use of the tree,merch timber versus firewood.So like any one learning is a three step proceeds,study and then have some one show the basics of tree falling and then practice it till you are to old to lift a saw:msp_thumbup:

Yep.

Ha. I cut a notch 1/3 the way in, side cut each side in about 2", then back cut whilst hanging whichever side to steer if it wants it.. I bore the heart out of the hardwood logs also..

The biggest thing you need to remember about cutting down a tree is the strongest wood is in the lowest part, right down in the duff and dirt. Small wood it don't matter too much. BIG wood it matters if you want it to go a certain place on the ground.

Around here any other way is simply someone doing what the internets or a "schooled" wannabe told them to do.

just havin some fun . it's all good , with out hands on instruction the best answers have ben said. you can read a book all day and prob nott pic it up proporly . i could tell someone how to fall a tree but i dos'nt meen that it will fall where it sould . so go have some fun.

I'm no pro, but I can say with confidence that there's no "one-size-fits-all" approach to putting stuff on the ground. Seems to me that the most important thing in falling any tree is to have a solid plan beforehand -- a pre-prepared work area, escape routes, intended direction of lay, etc -- and the rest is nuance determined by local policy, tree species, tree condition, weather, and all 2356 other factors that need to be considered.

Oh, and fer crapsake, LOOK UP!

Ok, I've got a question for the big dogs on here.

As I said in another lately, since it is 100 degrees and my back is on the mend I've been catching up on my Ax Men lately. In one of the episodes where the crew is doing a bunch of falling they were pre cutting 5 or 8 then felling another one on the stand and sending them down likes dominos. How are they cutting those and leaving them standing in a way that they aren't a pretty big safety hazard in the mean time?

Ok, I've got a question for the big dogs on here.

As I said in another lately, since it is 100 degrees and my back is on the mend I've been catching up on my Ax Men lately. In one of the episodes where the crew is doing a bunch of falling they were pre cutting 5 or 8 then felling another one on the stand and sending them down likes dominos. How are they cutting those and leaving them standing in a way that they aren't a pretty big safety hazard in the mean time?

Dominoe falling "can" be the safest procedure when conditions demand it. Limb locked, broken off the stump, hangers, can be some of those conditions where dominoe falling is a valid technique. BUT it can be very dangerous! I think on Axe Men it is just showing off. The company I work for does not allow it and I think it may be banned by OSHA.

Like many other techniques it can be desribed here but should not used without proper instruction.

I was checking out a new sawyer (amateur) at his request when we founf some broken off trees. I made small face cuts in two trees and dominoed them with a larger tree. I fully explained my reasoning but I was uncomfortable even showing it.

Last edited:
playing domino's with trees is showing off and of course it is risky

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/mattward74?ytsession=ax4llkjwdah4nux60s-d9z3dVkTQ0FJUdvxZHNzvRdbz2obd1YBZD-W8QLQ8-3hvYnuoKcq3qDtMiSFb1RRWbXdLRftDgLmL-d18Tse_IhJZP3h8KoPdxmrwsdjIQVii4rPMD6WeilpClktVRRPXKnO0EtDIjLCKzj9iDsOqoYauZy3cnkQAgfkszNuyRjSjTi3De xMx-ILQjP2zwGDJlFMAHND1IG1M8YWfxOcqV8t3Jf8-DaFUKNPGhFN3Fd0EUL4BzC70mm9U9oOyxUK55Ih_WmlhsywWECsUpI6fPLM#p/u/45/zTryU_lE4cg[/video]

playing domino's with trees is showing off and of course it is risky

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/mattward74?ytsession=ax4llkjwdah4nux60s-d9z3dVkTQ0FJUdvxZHNzvRdbz2obd1YBZD-W8QLQ8-3hvYnuoKcq3qDtMiSFb1RRWbXdLRftDgLmL-d18Tse_IhJZP3h8KoPdxmrwsdjIQVii4rPMD6WeilpClktVRRPXKnO0EtDIjLCKzj9iDsOqoYauZy3cnkQAgfkszNuyRjSjTi3De xMx-ILQjP2zwGDJlFMAHND1IG1M8YWfxOcqV8t3Jf8-DaFUKNPGhFN3Fd0EUL4BzC70mm9U9oOyxUK55Ih_WmlhsywWECsUpI6fPLM#p/u/45/zTryU_lE4cg[/video]

That was a cool vid. Terrible to see nice trees like that cut down.

Latest posts

Back