Different felling cuts and their uses.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dave k

dave k

Addicted to ArboristSite
That is our AS member MCW in the video. Just looked back at this and should have added that it is a long term job he is doing and Im sure he was being careful !! Thread "Todays Job" gives all the info.

Last edited:
Samlock

Samlock

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm no pro, but I can say with confidence that there's no "one-size-fits-all" approach to putting stuff on the ground. Seems to me that the most important thing in falling any tree is to have a solid plan beforehand -- a pre-prepared work area, escape routes, intended direction of lay, etc -- and the rest is nuance determined by local policy, tree species, tree condition, weather, and all 2356 other factors that need to be considered.

Oh, and fer crapsake, LOOK UP!

Agreed. The fine thing about felling is that the basics of it can be adopted by any average idiot in few hours, but a lifetime is too short to get all the finesses.

I do conventional faces 98 per cent. That's because the local short stumping convention. To me humboldt is for cutting the special timber: poles and extra fine quality birch butt logs.

The back cuts vary a bit more.

promac850

promac850

formerly promac610
OP (KiwiBro), just out of curiosity, do you look like this?

kiwi_bird.jpg

:D

HILLBILLYREDNEC

HILLBILLYREDNEC

Addicted to ArboristSite
Falling Style

Figure out what works best for you then practice it :msp_thumbup: Tree falling is like any skill the more you do it the better you get. For most trees in my area the Humbolt is the normal face style.

dave k

dave k

Addicted to ArboristSite
HBRN you would do well to practice that which you preach, after watching your vid "Hazard tree clean up" some have some practice to do ! Although what you say to a certian extent is correct, Kiwibro find someone local and watch, ask questions and learn above all be safe and mind from whom you take advice !!

slowp
I am playing gardener today. I have a limby doug that is small, but big enough to hurt or do worse, that needs to come out before it gets bigger. I shall wait until the leaves are off the alders and blackberries,and when I can have some help. It is weighted to the uphill side, and needs to go uphill. So, I am thinking that I will need to get out of the way in case it seesaws on the top of the hill, and pops back down. Correct? :popcorn:

I guess I could take a picture but it wouldn't show much--too much brush.

HILLBILLYREDNEC

HILLBILLYREDNEC

Addicted to ArboristSite
I am playing gardener today. I have a limby doug that is small, but big enough to hurt or do worse, that needs to come out before it gets bigger. I shall wait until the leaves are off the alders and blackberries,and when I can have some help. It is weighted to the uphill side, and needs to go uphill. So, I am thinking that I will need to get out of the way in case it seesaws on the top of the hill, and pops back down. Correct? :popcorn:

I guess I could take a picture but it wouldn't show much--too much brush.
Well the first step you can do is to limb it up as high as you can. If you can make it a spar pole it will be easier to fell. This is a case for a rope and a common notch.

bitzer

bitzer

******** Timber Expert
Learn to read the tree. It will give way to the face.

Also, when did this become the better homes and gardens forum? The trees must be killed before they take over dammit!

slowp
what brand of popcorn ? microwave or into the frying pan with oil ? :smile2:

The cheapest I can find and it gets popped in a special microwave bowl thingie. It works good.

I do not think that a rope would be needed on this tree. All the limbs are on the side that it needs to fall to.
However, after looking more today, I am thinking about just whacking the top off and turning it into a short bushy tree. It blocks the view of the neighbors in the winter.

stihl 440

stihl 440

Addicted to ArboristSite
Figure out what works best for you then practice it :msp_thumbup: Tree falling is like any skill the more you do it the better you get. For most trees in my area the Humbolt is the normal face style.

Well i just watched your video....and i can say this...i now believe that you actually have the saw you said you did and you can...well...we'll say "pull the trigger" alright. But i dont see anything "PRO" about your cutting style or movements.....and your chain needs attention...badly....it made me feel bad for the saw just watching the video. Maybe your filing needs practicing..i dont really know. But slow down....pay attention to what your doing....that tip will come back at you faster than what you think it will...speed comes after saftey....say alert, stay safe...speed will come along later....as with expirence. Think ahead...plan out what your next move is...this applies to everything...felling, bucking, limbing.....dont think felling is the only dangerous part because all of it can kill you...limbing is more dangerous sometimes if you dont know what to watchout for.....cut the wrong limb off and it'll roll right on you...same with bucking. You just gotta pay attention...its dangerous work...i've seen guys get hurt...it isnt pretty....and gotten my share of cuts and scrapes. At the end of the day if you walk out with all your guys you went in with and you on your own 2 legs and all your limbs...you did ok. And remember there is more than one way to skin a deer....so there is more than one way to cut a tree...with the exception of 45 degree and slopping backcut....thats just a no no all together. Use a wide variety of felling styles and tricks and put them into play WHEN needed....although that may not be all the time. Be accurate with your cuts...start slow and safe....speed comes after saftey. I could talk more but im tired...its been a long HOT day....you get my drift.

paccity

paccity

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well i just watched your video....and i can say this...i now believe that you actually have the saw you said you did and you can...well...we'll say "pull the trigger" alright. But i dont see anything "PRO" about your cutting style or movements.....and your chain needs attention...badly....it made me feel bad for the saw just watching the video. Maybe your filing needs practicing..i dont really know. But slow down....pay attention to what your doing....that tip will come back at you faster than what you think it will...speed comes after saftey....say alert, stay safe...speed will come along later....as with expirence. Think ahead...plan out what your next move is...this applies to everything...felling, bucking, limbing.....dont think felling is the only dangerous part because all of it can kill you...limbing is more dangerous sometimes if you dont know what to watchout for.....cut the wrong limb off and it'll roll right on you...same with bucking. You just gotta pay attention...its dangerous work...i've seen guys get hurt...it isnt pretty....and gotten my share of cuts and scrapes. At the end of the day if you walk out with all your guys you went in with and you on your own 2 legs and all your limbs...you did ok. And remember there is more than one way to skin a deer....so there is more than one way to cut a tree...with the exception of 45 degree and slopping backcut....thats just a no no all together. Use a wide variety of felling styles and tricks and put them into play WHEN needed....although that may not be all the time. Be accurate with your cuts...start slow and safe....speed comes after saftey. I could talk more but im tired...its been a long HOT day....you get my drift.

jeez 440, your being awfull nice today. good on ya.:laugh:

bitzer

bitzer

******** Timber Expert
Well I just watched the "hazard tree clean up" vid. The best part was at 6:10 when the guy had no idea the log was going to settle. One-handing it and all. I hope you were getting paid by the hour on that one mr. billy. Looked like county work.

Yes, I know I am an #######.

HILLBILLYREDNEC

HILLBILLYREDNEC

Addicted to ArboristSite
The hazard tree was not a job that was wanted, did to help a friend out. This tree is going to be for fire wood so no big deal on how the cuts look. The owner was more worried about some kid climbing up it and getting hurt. I knew the saw was going to be pinch and that log would roll, that is why I did the tree the way I did.

Latest posts