Different felling cuts and their uses.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
....mud to the knees, sawdust in my shirt, sticking to bar oil that drooled down my back...the sting of fresh cable cuts... scents of crushed vegetation, fresh turned earth...that special sense of wariness when you are about to kick a giant in the ankle, adrenaline pounding in the ears as the steel hits the bark... all alone in a cloud of noise, smoke, chips... Mac vibes to the shoulders...rocking on a plank with the pull of the chain... a headsplitting distance to the ground, wishing more time had been spent on the boards...

You sayin' a wee shift of the stem gave you a bit of a tap?

Bucking in a spot that didn't really give many good options. Could have been avoided though. Easy to say that sitting at home after the fact though, lol. More like getting hit by a bus than a tap. Ended up with my left leg pinned under a few hundred pounds of long butt. After catching it in the chest and bouncing off my knee. Larch are funny trees, no warning. Didn't pop till I cut the last whisker. It was actually a perfectly clean buck, no split or fiber pull. The damn things will sit on the stump, wedged to the hilt, and WILL NOT fall untill there's about a thumbnail's width of holding wood.

Letting myself get in a big hurry was the main cause.

Not sure how I got away with it, nothing broken.

-Joe, I will get that movie watched, besides, I have a sharp looking Darby Logger Day's tee shirt to send back with it for your wife.

-Sam

Oh boy Sam!
sounds pretty much like a Madrone butt that rolled over me, a complete surprise and left the imprints of shirt buttons on my thin hide for a day. Some days your best guess is the wrong one.

Oh boy Sam!
sounds pretty much like a Madrone butt that rolled over me, a complete surprise and left the imprints of shirt buttons on my thin hide for a day. Some days your best guess is the wrong one.

Yep.
That Madrone deal doesn't sound like any fun at all.

Hey Sam, hope you heal up quick man!

I was sitting around the fire with my old man a few years back. Throwin some whiskey down. He says to me, "Not everyone can do what you do." And I say, "What's that?" Not really sure what he was talking about. "Going out into the woods and cutting trees," he said. "Anyone can sit behind a desk or..." (gets a little blurry around that point for obvious reasons). He eventually ends it with, " I couldn't do that, walk up to a tree and cut it down and put it where you want it. There are so many things that could go wrong." There was more, but I don't recall it. I was doing a lot more saw work for the company that I worked for at the time than I am now. Just before the economy tanked. He was right though. A breed apart.

My old man told me the same thing some years ago. And your exactly right...we are a different breed. Not sure how or why sometimes..but its definetly true. There is different breeds of that breed too...there are people that cut trees...and then there are people that are born to cut trees. I've had some help with some of the best timber cutters i have ever seen taught me....i have been doing it a long time....but they will always have been doing it longer....but there is still a great level of respect i have for those guys...and will forever...i gaurantee it. And i still currently talk to these guys and it seems like when we get to talkin timber cuttin...i seem to still learn new stuff from them...kinda wild...imo.

So a seedling can't become a nice tree? :monkey:

New growth trees are always nice to see, but I am aware of how long it takes trees to grow so I am kind of impatient with their slow progress. We also don't have all the variety of species you guys have in your warmer climate. Trees here take a #### kicken in the winter so only the toughest survive. Trees are not very plentiful on the prairies where I live.

Nice trees??? Do you have a roof over your head, and/or wipe your ####ing ass?? Jesus ####ing christ! ####ing people. Here I sit with a broken finger, toe, torn knee...........so people can wipe their butt and stay dry.

What the #### is your problem #######. I cut down trees, I'm not a tree huger. It's not my fault you trashed your body cutting wood for toilet paper. I appreciate nice trees and get pissed when people cut them down for dumb ass reasons. I thought they looked nice, not the type of wood I would harvest for pulp.

Johnny cull has made my ignore list. Quite the accomplishment. I am quite patient. Bye bye tree hugging piece of #### hippie mother ####ing ass wipe. Oh wait, I can't call you an ass wipe, as you love trees and disreegard the #### hanging from your spincter. Sorry...my bad - Sam

The real bummer is the fact that apparently an "Earth Firster" has found our little website. I'm all for Earth First.....we will log the other planets later........I gotta go to bed. Take care- it is Friday tomorow!!

The real bummer is the fact that apparently an "Earth Firster" has found our little website. I'm all for Earth First.....we will log the other planets later........I gotta go to bed. Take care- it is Friday tomorow!!

Yup...!!! Friday!!! Payday!!! Get up and get out!!! I keep hearing rumors about Saturday work but so far they're only that. They'll probably wait 'til the middle of September when it dawns on them that winter is coming, again, and we'll start the Annual Fall Panic a little early.

Back