dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dex at first I was confused by your post. Then figured out your point.

I know 08F150 is the OP. But that does not change that it is a chinese saw.

This is a cool thread. Keep on going guys.

Sent from my N9810 using Tapatalk

I guess it depends on if you're counting where it was made or where it was designed. It was made in China, but designed in Japan. Neither of which is the US, so to me it doesn't matter which.

Dex at first I was confused by your post. Then figured out your point.

I know 08F150 is the OP. But that does not change that it is a chinese saw.

This is a cool thread. Keep on going guys.

Right?!? And he was making a JOKE. Calling it a Jap saw. When..... He in fact, knows it's a Chinese saw. As stated in the 3rd post in the thread. Because he is the original poster.

Right?!? And he was making a JOKE. Calling it a Jap saw. When..... He in fact, knows it's a Chinese saw. As stated in the 3rd post in the thread. Because he is the original poster.
Ok got ya. I get it now. But clearly I did not catch it. I knew he was the OP and just assumed he knew it was china made. Oh well no big deal here.

This forum is full of experienced and knowledgable people and I must admit that that knowledge and advice is only as good as someone's willingness to listen to it. Rather than port my cylinder with a hand file as recommended, I went at it with a rotary tool, some sanding drums and no clue what I was doing. I ended up lowering the intake port unintentionally and was
Much more careful on the exhaust. Now I am appealing to you guys for advice. I'll post a pic below showing how I lowered the port. 1. I am curious if it appears that it will be an issue? 2. Should I install the cylinder WITH a gasket since I screwed the pooch on the intake or would eliminating the gasket be worth trying still?

Thanks in advance.
eqe3ugat.jpg
2u9ubyme.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you should fix this. It may not be an issue, but you have a better chance of snagging/breaking a ring. Get it back into an oval shape.

Gentlemen,
I must say you guys were correct about my little 38 quake. I finished cleaning up the porting I did ( clueless what I was doing really), softened the inside edge of the ports afterwards, ditched the base gasket for some Hondabond last night and let her cure up. Put it all back together today with the modded muffler and got it tuned in to at least run decent. :clap:

My low compression readings were obviously flawed because the saw runs great. It has more nuts than my 42cc Crapsman or my 45cc Homelite ever thought of having! It runs smooth, has a crisp response and cuts strong.

I may have a little bit of clutch slippage going on, but that is probably my fault though. The brake was on when it first fired up and I had it set to idle really high, so it smoked the clutch for a bit before I caught on. Ive been sick all week so I am a bit slow minded right now (great time to run a saw huh?) Just kept watching it and wondering where all that smoke was coming from. o_O

Thanks again fellas! I cant wait to open up the 45 and do some work on it. If the 38 is any indication, it will be a keeper!

Question for anyone with a 45 cc quake........

I'm debating opening up the ports on the 45 along with the muffler before even running it.

I'm curious for anyone that has run theirs before and after porting, is it worth the effort or should I just muff mod it and run it as is?

I realize there's gains to be made but wanted someone's perspective whether the gains are substantial or do they run well enough as is. Thanks guys

Besides, this thread has been stale recently :)

I'm debating opening up the ports on the 45 along with the muffler before even running it.

I'm curious for anyone that has run theirs before and after porting, is it worth the effort or should I just muff mod it and run it as is?

I realize there's gains to be made but wanted someone's perspective whether the gains are substantial or do they run well enough as is. Thanks guys

It's an entirely conventional saw and so should respond to the usual porting techniques. Look at the timing stock, then decide what to change. Or just widen the exhaust port and leave the timing alone. You'll need to do the muffler anyway.

How are the vibrations with those saws?

I have the 3814 running and I think it is pretty smooth. I was quite impressed how little I feel in the hands when revving it or sinking it into a cut. It is much smoother than my Homelite Timberman but I realize that may not be saying much.

I have the 3814 running and I think it is pretty smooth. I was quite impressed how little I feel in the hands when revving it or sinking it into a cut. It is much smoother than my Homelite Timberman but I realize that may not be saying much.

Ya, I was just looking for an impression over-all. I don't have one yet but sometime I might get one. Thanks!

This must be the "Energizer Bunny" of chainsaw threads. It's still going...

A good muffler mod on the 45cc Quake provided reasonable gains on mine. I'm gonna go with Chris-PA on this one -IF I were to tear into mine I'd open the exhaust, do the muffler mod, lose the base gasket and advance the timing a smidge. I've ported a few saws but am by no means an expert. I'd just stay with what I know works well in general and apply it to these saws. However, mine runs just dandy with the muffler mod alone.

dd

Well, talking about cheap saws..anyone try one of those DevonPro saws? 58cc. I see them advertised now and then on CL (like now) for $160.

does it look anything like this? It runs fine but the build quality is very low. Plastic parts are thin and flimsy, clutch cover needed modification to mount to the saw, felling dawgs are very thin material. This was around $80 delivered several years ago from a seller in Canada. I think it would give good service but needs to be handled gently to avoid breaking it. AV mounts feel very delicate. Earthquakes are a huge step above these. My 38cc Quake feels rock solid in the hands by comparison.
View attachment 333747 View attachment 333748 View attachment 333749 View attachment 333750
The 58cc engines from these mount directly into the 45cc chassis of the Earthquake. Same mounts, same cases, just a bigger crank and cylinder. All plastic components are the same as well.

I bought a 58cc engine to put into the 45cc Earthquake tank. Don't know why I have spent so much on this saw... :mad: But I can't stop...

Latest posts

Back