dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ended up pulling the A/V mount through and cutting it.

I have yet to put it in wood, but based on the sound, snap, and overall feel?? This thing is a monster. I know 13 cc is alot. It is almost like comparing an 036/360 to an 046/460. But because it still fits in the same frame? ? I was skeptical.

Same EVERYTHING fits. The carb boot, plastics, fliter, etc.. it looks exactly like a 45cc Earthquake. But it's 58 cc now :)

20140218_133610.jpg 20140218_133721.jpg 20140218_133645.jpg 20140218_155836.jpg 20140218_155820.jpg

Got my first quake in for repair today. A month old 4518 that died in the cut and would restart but not run. Took a gander at the fuel line and it was ate up. Soft, torn, name it. Replaced all the lines with tygon and it'll be back in the wood tomorrow. I checked my personal quakes and the fuel lines were fine.

Anyone else seen bad fuel lines on a refurb?

very interesting. I have never seen the under plastic details of a 45cc quake before, it does indeed look like my 52cc GIO chicom saw under the plastic. My 52cc saw may already have the longer stroke bottom end, I will have to see if I can find the specs on it. It would be cool if the 58cc top end would bolt on. The choke, start switch and plastic attachment screw locations all look the same on my saw as on the Quake45. I attached pictures so you guys can eyeball the similarities. I don't have a 45cc quake to compare it to.
View attachment 334341 View attachment 334342 View attachment 334343

That's the same as the 45cc model quake, but with bigger bore. The 58cc has a longer stroke and bigger bore. They sell a kit online to upgrade just those parts. (Crank, cyl, piston, etc)

Every component will bolt on your saw from my saw and vise versa. They are the same. Some parts (plastic) is molded different. But the engine cases and the rest of the saw is the same.

Yes put some 38cc Earthquake stickers on it and have some fun.:laugh:

May have to peel the 38's off and put them on the 45 (58cc).

Oh and I have yet to put it in wood, because the 58 cc motor has .325 rim on it, but I started it... The sound that comes out of those duals ports?!?! Amazing!! I can hear and feel that this thing will be an animal compared to the 45cc.

I have an extra factory dual port muffler now. The 58 cc engine came with one. So if someone is interested? Let me know (PM).

May have to peel the 38's off and put them on the 45 (58cc).

Oh and I have yet to put it in wood, because the 58 cc motor has .325 rim on it, but I started it... The sound that comes out of those duals ports?!?! Amazing!! I can hear and feel that this thing will be an animal compared to the 45cc.

I have an extra factory dual port muffler now. The 58 cc engine came with one. So if someone is interested? Let me know (PM).

Oooooh... My 1st dislike. :) Thank you ;)

I got my 45 out for the first time today to try it out in wood, big disappointment. Previously I took the muffler apart and then added some additional louvers, adjusted the carb 1 1/2 turns out, throttle response is good from idle. I started cutting on some small dead locust and as soon as I get the the throttle past 3/4 open, it falls on it's face. My first thoughts are to check fuel lines and connections. Any other things to look at if I don't find anything there?

My 38cc is nowhere near that, with both screws in the 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns range. It is pretty heavily ported, gasket removed, timing advanced and muffler modded. But my muffler mod is not so wide open as I route the exhaust down to the bottom of the muffler and back up.

Most likely what is happening if the muffler is just drilled right through is that the engine draws oxygen back in through the exhaust port, requiring an increase in fuel from the carb to compensate.

If it ever warms up I need to pull it down and make sure there isn't something else going on. It runs so incredibly strong I almost hate to mess with it. I may have gone to far with the muffler mod.
I don't know that there is anything wrong with the wide open approach, a lot of people do it that way and saws used to be made that way. As long as you can tune it correctly it doesn't seem like it should harm the engine, but it probably makes it use more fuel. It's just not how I like to do them.

View attachment 324438 View attachment 324439 View attachment 324440 View attachment 324441 View attachment 324442 I finally got to the muffler on the 4518, I was able to get it apart with a little heat and a modified screwdriver. I uncrimped the edge and pulled all the guts out, then put it back together and recrimped the edge. I saw someone else made some slots in the face of the muffler with a dremel, I liked it so came up with my own flavor. I put it all back together and fired it up, sounds a lot better, but was way too rich still.
I don't have a D tool, so I took my DD tool and used the dremel on it and now it will work with both the D and DD screws. Anxious to go stick it in some wood. Will run a while and then remove and paint it with high temp paint.

Took the 45 out again, tried 2 1/2 turns out and finally 3 turns worked, when the mud settles, I'll find some more wood and give it a workout. Thanks for the info.

I put a new muffler off a gz4000/ryobi copy on my 38cc. These have no cat and just a baffled. I dropped the baffled and opened the from way open. And did not have to mess with the screws. Pulls it on wood fine?. Still 4strokes almost a tad fat still.

This pic is looking straight through it. There is a bit of a turn. It comes out of cylinder and then has to go up about a half inch to line up with the outlet hole. But basically in and out..uploadfromtaptalk1393709682135.jpg

Sent from my N9810 using Tapatalk

They do use some kind of thread lock goo on those bolts.
If you can get at it without melting anything, you could try applying heat directly to the bolt head with a high wattage soldering gun. I have had that work several times.

(I've also melted stuff several times...) LOL
I have a Weller 2 temp gun and I bet that would work I will have to try it some time. Great idea now getting up a 3:30 am does not seem so wasted after all.

Ended up pulling the A/V mount through and cutting it.

I have yet to put it in wood, but based on the sound, snap, and overall feel?? This thing is a monster. I know 13 cc is alot. It is almost like comparing an 036/360 to an 046/460. But because it still fits in the same frame? ? I was skeptical.

Same EVERYTHING fits. The carb boot, plastics, fliter, etc.. it looks exactly like a 45cc Earthquake. But it's 58 cc now :)

View attachment 334336 View attachment 334337 View attachment 334338 View attachment 334339 View attachment 334340
Nice storage place for the saw,...I bet that was the wife's idea hua.

Latest posts

Back