dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rebuild carbs in the house, sometimes. If there fresh of the equiptment i get complaints of gas smell. Best to leave them air dry outside then do it in the house later.

But if messing with too much fuel and i dont have latex or nitril gloves on i get gas smell complaints even after washing my hands. I explain that its inmy hands.

I use a lot of kitchen stuff: Rubbermaid containers, cookie sheets, aluminum baking pans, strainers, etc. But they are all garage sale/Goodwill/flea market stuff. Not the same stuff we use for food.

I try to stay as clear from the kitchen. I do dry chains in the oven though, after cleaning with water based cleaner and rinsed. And the laundry tub does get used, though I try to clear away the clean laundry first.

Philbert

Ok Philbert I gota call ya on that one , You clean your chains,.... come on now fess up,.....you got issues don't ya ?
What's wrong with that? If you use chrome wheel polish they get real shiny. You should try it.....

Ok Philbert I gota call ya on that one , You clean your chains,.... come on now fess up,.....you got issues don't ya ?
What's wrong with that? If you use chrome wheel polish they get real shiny. You should try it.....

I have several threads on that - look 'em up if interested.

My comments on the kitchen utensils were just to promote family harmony, following up on the comments about chainsaws in the sinks, on the living room furniture, etc.

Philbert

I have several threads on that - look 'em up if interested.

My comments on the kitchen utensils were just to promote family harmony, following up on the comments about chainsaws in the sinks, on the living room furniture, etc.

Philbert
Oh, I remember them. You know I was just bustin' on ya, right?

Some late night Quake abuse!!!

Went cutting yesterday, on the search for some dry wood and some candle wood.

First was just a little too big for the Quake...

But to pull this one up over the bank, had to cut it off where it was buried. Didn't want to pack the 441 down the hill, so broke out the Quake.

The cutting area...

Got that loaded. Too wet for this year, but it being poplar, will be good and dry for next year. Sad part was that people were cutting down live trees in this area, even though there is so much wood available on the ground. It all isn't prime wood, but it all burns. Shame too, as this area will probably eventually be closed if people keep it up.

Anyway, wasn't having much luck with the candle wood, but as I was leaving, I found a fallen pine.

No saw pictures though, as it was a real mess overhead. The 441 was used for this one as I didn't want to be under there for any longer than necessary. Even though it appeared stable, one of those cases where you look up instead of where you're cutting.

All went well though. Some well placed cuts, and a quick retreat out the escape path got it on the ground without incident.

All of which led to... :)

It was getting dark, and the chain was dull on the Quake. so I broke out the 10-10s to make the candles. But with the outside dawg, it was just too hard to noodle with, couldn't get it to dawg into the cut.

So went and sharpened, refueled and topped off the bar oil with some vegetable oil. Thought I'd try it and see. Also removed the clutch cover and fitted bar with washers and bolts to keep it from clogging. Be sure to stay well out the path of flying clutch parts or chain if doing it this way, but works really well. :)

Still have a couple left to cut, and no smoking or anything from the vegetable/bar oil mix. It's probably low enough for straight vegetable oil now, so will see how that does.

I've switched to straight canola oil for everything now. No issues so far. The saws stay much cleaner.

Cool. I like the thoughts of it as its a lot cheaper than bio-oil, though I don't go through enough to really make a difference.

I had heard about canola oil, but the vegetable oil was cheaper, so thought I'd try it. I'll run some canola oil next time and see if there is any difference. Still over half the price of the Stihl BioPlus.

Did you have to turn your oiler down or anything due to its thinner viscosity?

Cool. I like the thoughts of it as its a lot cheaper than bio-oil, though I don't go through enough to really make a difference.

I had heard about canola oil, but the vegetable oil was cheaper, so thought I'd try it. I'll run some canola oil next time and see if there is any difference. Still over half the price of the Stihl BioPlus.

Did you have to turn your oiler down or anything due to its thinner viscosity?
I haven't really had to do anything different. It is thinner and has no tackifier additives, so I assume it flings off the bar more easily, but the chains always seems well oiled and I have not seen any problems. The less tacky oil is what makes it easier to clean the saw, as it blows off with the air hose much better.

I heard something that if you leave your saw un-used for a while (?) that the vegetable oils can harden in the tanks or lines. Not sure if the type of oil makes a big difference, how long, etc. But saw at least one recommendation that if you are going to put the saw away for a while, to drain the vegetable oil and to run some standard oil through the oil pup.

Philbert

I heard something that if you leave your saw un-used for a while (?) that the vegetable oils can harden in the tanks or lines. Not sure if the type of oil makes a big difference, how long, etc. But saw at least one recommendation that if you are going to put the saw away for a while, to drain the vegetable oil and to run some standard oil through the oil pup.

Philbert
For saws I knew I was not going to use for a while I was mixing standard bar oil in with it. I've mostly stopped with that and have yet to see any problems, nor with cold temperatures, but I'm still a bit leery of long term storage. It makes sense that bio oils may break down over time. I have too many saws to use now, and am thinking about setting some aside - getting some canned fuel and standard bar oil and flushing both systems out.

Not sure I get it - Seems easy enough to put the tarp down and cut up the corn since they look like cute little logs and you probably would use a less than perfectly sharp chain to maximize the slurry. But how do you squeeze the oil out with the saw and which squeezes out more the 38, 41, or 45? Also who holds the cobs or are you fellas creating a jig?

Haven't viewed this thread in some time now. Both my CS45/18's are doing well, broke the bar tensioning little bit being stupid.. (On one saw) it's on order, be here soon. (So much for the parts being difficult to find- took all of 10 minutes online)

Ok I'll come out with it- these little saws are a pleasure- I am so very happy with both, one seems to have a weaker clutch than the other but it's not a show stopper in any way- I'm just aware of it.

So I checked back in mostly to see if the one fella got the sleeper 58/45-18 saw completed yet, looks like he's getting close.

So these saws have been so good it had me EVEN MORE curious about its relatives, there are many more/ larger displacement saws out there. If you search a simple google image search it will get you there, or go to Alibaba and just start searching chainsaws. There are saws from well... 38/41/45 cc, then 52/58cc of course, then I believe 62/64, 68 cc, 72 cc, 92 cc, and 105 cc. All with ehh- kinda sorta the same design as our beloved Quakes.

So I started a thread inquiring about the truly BIG 105 cc chinky dinky saws and was hammered for it- plenty of the typical posts you would expect... Since then I have researched them some more. If I were to finally settle on a larger saw for my firewood cutting I would probably lean towards the "CraftTop 72cc" (MS381)... But I don't see them anywhere ACTUALLY FOR SALE in the US.
The closest "approaching large-ish" cc saw I see is ebay- it's a Chusky 62cc 20" (says TimberPro down the bar). It's $166.26 plus $58.20 shipping. ($224.46)

(Now for pure output for the dollar- well since these EQ4518 deals are finished... Ebay has the DevonPro 22" 58cc saw to your door for $140, that's not a bad deal really, considering the good service these EQ's have given me)

(I'm assuming the CS4518 deal is kaput- LOL, anyone picked any up under $60 lately... Boy that was really something!)

Couple 38's on eBay recently for a buy it now price of $55. That's with free shipping of course. Got my 45 for $56 but that was on auction a couple months back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple 38's on eBay recently for a buy it now price of $55. That's with free shipping of course. Got my 45 for $56 but that was on auction a couple months back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I did see the 38's.. If the 45's went up again I want ... JUST ONE MORE, LOL

Latest posts

Back