dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't viewed this thread in some time now. Both my CS45/18's are doing well, broke the bar tensioning little bit being stupid.. (On one saw) it's on order, be here soon. (So much for the parts being difficult to find- took all of 10 minutes online)

Ok I'll come out with it- these little saws are a pleasure- I am so very happy with both, one seems to have a weaker clutch than the other but it's not a show stopper in any way- I'm just aware of it.

So I checked back in mostly to see if the one fella got the sleeper 58/45-18 saw completed yet, looks like he's getting close.

So these saws have been so good it had me EVEN MORE curious about its relatives, there are many more/ larger displacement saws out there. If you search a simple google image search it will get you there, or go to Alibaba and just start searching chainsaws. There are saws from well... 38/41/45 cc, then 52/58cc of course, then I believe 62/64, 68 cc, 72 cc, 92 cc, and 105 cc. All with ehh- kinda sorta the same design as our beloved Quakes.

So I started a thread inquiring about the truly BIG 105 cc chinky dinky saws and was hammered for it- plenty of the typical posts you would expect... Since then I have researched them some more. If I were to finally settle on a larger saw for my firewood cutting I would probably lean towards the "CraftTop 72cc" (MS381)... But I don't see them anywhere ACTUALLY FOR SALE in the US.
The closest "approaching large-ish" cc saw I see is ebay- it's a Chusky 62cc 20" (says TimberPro down the bar). It's $166.26 plus $58.20 shipping. ($224.46)

(Now for pure output for the dollar- well since these EQ4518 deals are finished... Ebay has the DevonPro 22" 58cc saw to your door for $140, that's not a bad deal really, considering the good service these EQ's have given me)

(I'm assuming the CS4518 deal is kaput- LOL, anyone picked any up under $60 lately... Boy that was really something!)
Well I just did that - here is my adventure: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/porting-a-chinese-g621-clone.253359/

I stayed away from the larger derivatives of the Zenoah G5000 series saws (and the 45cc Earthquake) due to carb size limitations. The original design used a WT series carb and they just don't get big enough for saws in the 58cc and up range IMO. It does not appear that the clones have carbs that are enlarged but I am not sure about that in all cases.

Haven't viewed this thread in some time now. Both my CS45/18's are doing well, broke the bar tensioning little bit being stupid.. (On one saw) it's on order, be here soon. (So much for the parts being difficult to find- took all of 10 minutes online)

I haven't broke any of the tensioners, but I did replace the original with the tensioner that fits the Ryobi 45 or the Redmax GS3800AVS, that adjusts through the bar cover. Makes it a lot easier to adjust and will work on the CS38 and the CS45 and is about $12 with shipping.

I haven't broke any of the tensioners, but I did replace the original with the tensioner that fits the Ryobi 45 or the Redmax GS3800AVS, that adjusts through the bar cover. Makes it a lot easier to adjust and will work on the CS38 and the CS45 and is about $12 with shipping.
I have one, but I actually like the conventional tensioner screws on the inside - you can remove the cover without slacking the bar.

I was doing google image searches trying to find MY part, I stumbled across your image of your part- but I don't recall seeing any images of the setup installed on the saw- did you have any here,- so I can get a better idea of how it worked out.

Anyone have a nice 16" bar and chain setup on a 45 cc Earthquake? I have a .325 rum on mine now and I am looking to drop to a 16" bar and chain.

Just looking for what other people have on their own saws.

Anyone have a nice 16" bar and chain setup on a 45 cc Earthquake? I have a .325 rum on mine now and I am looking to drop to a 16" bar and chain.

Just looking for what other people have on their own saws.
I have a Husqvarna small mount 16" on my 45cc. Even tho mine is still 3/8"P, the same bar is available in .325". It looks and feels pretty good, pretty cheap too. I can snap a pic later today if you want.

Well, I got mine in some wood. I guess they are ok for what they are, but even my 026 with a bad carb out cuts this POS.

Scout, which saw you have, the 45, 41, or 38?

Maybe post up that POS for sale. Some of us like em and need another. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scout, which saw you have, the 45, 41, or 38?

Maybe post up that POS for sale. Some of us like em and need another. :)

+1, mine cuts great, muff modd only, no carb adjustments, running pro chain... What's not to love, see wood, cut wood.. Even with the chains I'm under $150/160 for TWO 45cc saws.

Ok I'll come out with it- these little saws are a pleasure- I am so very happy with both, one seems to have a weaker clutch than the other but it's not a show stopper in any way- I'm just aware of it.

So I checked back in mostly to see if the one fella got the sleeper 58/45-18 saw completed yet, looks like he's getting close.

So these saws have been so good it had me EVEN MORE curious about its relatives, there are many more/ larger displacement saws out there. If you search a simple google image search it will get you there, or go to Alibaba and just start searching chainsaws. There are saws from well... 38/41/45 cc, then 52/58cc of course, then I believe 62/64, 68 cc, 72 cc, 92 cc, and 105 cc. All with ehh- kinda sorta the same design as our beloved Quakes.

So I started a thread inquiring about the truly BIG 105 cc chinky dinky saws and was hammered for it- plenty of the typical posts you would expect... Since then I have researched them some more. If I were to finally settle on a larger saw for my firewood cutting I would probably lean towards the "CraftTop 72cc" (MS381)... But I don't see them anywhere ACTUALLY FOR SALE in the US.
The closest "approaching large-ish" cc saw I see is ebay- it's a Chusky 62cc 20" (says TimberPro down the bar). It's $166.26 plus $58.20 shipping. ($224.46)

(Now for pure output for the dollar- well since these EQ4518 deals are finished... Ebay has the DevonPro 22" 58cc saw to your door for $140, that's not a bad deal really, considering the good service these EQ's have given me)

(I'm assuming the CS4518 deal is kaput- LOL, anyone picked any up under $60 lately... Boy that was really something!)
I bought a 4518 off the website for the $55 so it was $49 with the discount. And bought more of the 38cc for the $49 in the "as is" condition. Two of the 38s and the 45 look brand new with new bars.

As to the veggie oil that stuff solidify s around freezing how are y'all using it?

Sent from my N9810 using Tapatalk

I bought a 4518 off the website for the $55 so it was $49 with the discount. And bought more of the 38cc for the $49 in the "as is" condition. Two of the 38s and the 45 look brand new with new bars.

As to the veggie oil that stuff solidify s around freezing how are y'all using it?

Tried it in my Homelite and then let it sit 6 months of more. What a mess, had to drain and clean the oil tank, clean the bar etc. The stuff was thicker than bearing grease. Almost like pine sap.

I'm a latecomer so my apologies.

Two questions:

1. What is an Earthquake saw? Also what is a Hurricane saw?

2. These Chinese saws - can they run on 50:1 Stihl mix?

Earthquake is a chinese saw built for the Artisam (american) company and sold here. There sold at like lowes and HD and the company DR power equiptment sells it as thier chainsaw. It was sold at sears and Meynards. It is basically identical to all the other chinese saws and there copies of Redmax saws. There fun and were getting them on the cheap. They actually are reliable and fun, start easier than most poulans i have touched and can cut with a simple muffler modd.

And yes you can run them on any oil at 50:1. Thats the ratio that the saw says to use but like most here we are not running any less than 40:1 in most cases i would think. I currently am running 32:1 in mine but may switch back to 40:1?????

I am running syn oil in it now from Baileys but will run Belray next batch.

Yep I would not pay that price. The last 4518 I bought was $49 shipped to me. I bought it from the company a few weeks ago. Kicked it down the road for $110. I have two 3814 left that I paid $49 a piece shipped .

Tried it in my Homelite and then let it sit 6 months of more. What a mess, had to drain and clean the oil tank, clean the bar etc. The stuff was thicker than bearing grease. Almost like pine sap.

I read this and thought I would comment and didn't. For a while I was using veg oil on my baitcaster reel fishing line.. Very lightly. It leaves heavy residue over time, (on reels anyway) if a logger or a daily cuter/ arborist used it daily, yeah- fine, but occasional cutters like this goofball,... Likely leave a lot of unwanted residue- and buildup.

Back