dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earthquake is a chinese saw built for the Artisam (american) company and sold here. There sold at like lowes and HD and the company DR power equiptment sells it as thier chainsaw. It was sold at sears and Meynards. It is basically identical to all the other chinese saws and there copies of Redmax saws. There fun and were getting them on the cheap. They actually are reliable and fun, start easier than most poulans i have touched and can cut with a simple muffler modd.

And yes you can run them on any oil at 50:1. Thats the ratio that the saw says to use but like most here we are not running any less than 40:1 in most cases i would think. I currently am running 32:1 in mine but may switch back to 40:1?????

I am running syn oil in it now from Baileys but will run Belray next batch.

If I could add, Blue Max, if you have seen Blue Max in the stores.... Literally THE SAME TOOL

Key point of the this thread is that people were getting the 'customer returned' saws off of eBay for $30 - $40 shipped - they were a 'no-lose' saw to play with. Not necessarily worth the $150 retail price.

Ahh, but IF, I say IF.. You were in the position of ABSOLUTELY needing a good NEW firewood saw, would you pay that over say a $105 Poulan PP3314?- and I'm not a snob, I love the Poulans/Craftsman saws- they are fine IMO...

I WOULD NOT have a problem paying that price now that I know they are cool little saws, my 45's I'm so tickled with!

Philbert

I considered a 38cc for limbing but (if I remember/ hell I'm drinking if I'm honest.. Obamas are the problem.. ;) )

The 38's weight k&n comparison to the 45's- essentially no difference...

Google suggests 13.6 lbs- don't know how accurate that is

Assuming it is accurate, the 38cc is 75% the weight of the 45cc, hmm,

Dunno, that leaning over limbing does get to you

Weight wise, there's no way it's 13+ lbs for a 45. I don't have a good scale, but "feelslike" just a touch heavier than my Dolmar 420, like less than a 1/2 lb heavier - could be just balance causing it to feel that way.

My Quake has been sitting in the corner, waiting for winter to die down so I could go find some wood for it to chew on. Hope that will happen this weekend. Gonna have a try stock first, then see the differences when I go to "good" chain, then MM, and give my stack exhaust a try.

Apparently, though, my 420 scares the piss out of it when the lights are off. It leaves a lot to be desired in the holding bar oil in the tank department. It was suggested earlier in the thread that it might have been seeping from the area behind the bar, but that was disassembled and cleaned the first time I looked at it, so it's coming from somewhere. I'll have to find out where next time I tear it down. For now, it's gonna get a cardboard diaper.

103_3896 (Medium).JPG

Key point of the this thread is that people were getting the 'customer returned' saws off of eBay for $30 - $40 shipped - they were a 'no-lose' saw to play with. Not necessarily worth the $150 retail price.

Aha! Thanks for that. I thought someone was selling Chinese saws at what appeared to be a very cheap price. $50 is pennies and nothing in New Zealand or Australia comes close in price. More like $200 plus -which is still very reasonable.

I'd quite like one to play with. :D

Weight wise, there's no way it's 13+ lbs for a 45. I don't have a good scale, but "feelslike" just a touch heavier than my Dolmar 420, like less than a 1/2 lb heavier - could be just balance causing it to feel that way.

My Quake has been sitting in the corner, waiting for winter to die down so I could go find some wood for it to chew on. Hope that will happen this weekend. Gonna have a try stock first, then see the differences when I go to "good" chain, then MM, and give my stack exhaust a try.

Apparently, though, my 420 scares the piss out of it when the lights are off. It leaves a lot to be desired in the holding bar oil in the tank department. It was suggested earlier in the thread that it might have been seeping from the area behind the bar, but that was disassembled and cleaned the first time I looked at it, so it's coming from somewhere. I'll have to find out where next time I tear it down. For now, it's gonna get a cardboard diaper.

All 4 of the 45cc's I bought leaked oil. Never had a problem with the 38cc. The oil leaks from around the rubber grommet to goes into the oil tank. Remove the clutch (use heat, it's locktited on) remove plastic cover over the oil pump, remove oil pump, and use pliers to pull grommet out of the tank. Cleaned everything up and used yahma bond on the gromet, and while I had it apart I put some sealant on the input and output hoses to the oil pump as well.

I left it sit for a day, to let the sealant set up. Then filled the bar oil tank, it's been sitting there for a week with no leaks. Just need time to put it back together and get it running. I still haven't put a 45cc in wood, wanted to fix the oil leaks, and do the muff mod before any cutting.

dunno...I don't have a 45, this is what a 38 weighs
View attachment 340198
I'm surprised it weighs that much - you sure it's empty? It is based on the G3800 which should be almost a pound lighter. I'm sure the case parts are aluminum rather than magnesium, but it is such a small case that it can't make much of a difference.

I'm surprised it weighs that much - you sure it's empty? It is based on the G3800 which should be almost a pound lighter. I'm sure the case parts are aluminum rather than magnesium, but it is such a small case that it can't make much of a difference.

The PDF manuals can be downloaded and contain the specifications including the weight.
The 3816 weight is stated as 9.26 lbs.
The 4518 weight is stated as 12.78 lbs.

Dry weight (without guide bar and chain,
empty tanks.

http://www.chainsawsdirect.com/manuals/earthquakecs4518manual_2.pdf

http://www.getearthquake.com/foundations/store/shopdetail.asp?params=CS3816*108&tab=docs

I read this and thought I would comment and didn't. For a while I was using veg oil on my baitcaster reel fishing line.. Very lightly. It leaves heavy residue over time, (on reels anyway) if a logger or a daily cuter/ arborist used it daily, yeah- fine, but occasional cutters like this goofball,... Likely leave a lot of unwanted residue- and buildup.

Ok, so I'm not a logger, but someone asked for experiences and I gave mine. So I ask, why goofball?

Didn't see where this was a "pro only" forum, yet one with folks that have a common interest in chainsaws. I have learned a lot here and shared some as well. Heck I wouldn't have even bought the two quakes without the info I have gotten here.

Back when I used the vegi oil I only had a husky and the homelite. I sure as heck won't gonna experiment with the husky. For that matter, I wouldn't run the crap in my quakes either.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All 4 of the 45cc's I bought leaked oil. Never had a problem with the 38cc. The oil leaks from around the rubber grommet to goes into the oil tank. Remove the clutch (use heat, it's locktited on) remove plastic cover over the oil pump, remove oil pump, and use pliers to pull grommet out of the tank. Cleaned everything up and used yahma bond on the gromet, and while I had it apart I put some sealant on the input and output hoses to the oil pump as well.

I left it sit for a day, to let the sealant set up. Then filled the bar oil tank, it's been sitting there for a week with no leaks. Just need time to put it back together and get it running. I still haven't put a 45cc in wood, wanted to fix the oil leaks, and do the muff mod before any cutting.

How can you tell if it cuts better after the muff mod if you don't cut in stock form first?

Ok, so I'm not a logger, but someone asked for experiences and I gave mine. So I ask, why goofball?

Didn't see where this was a "pro only" forum, yet one with folks that have a common interest in chainsaws. I have learned a lot here and shared some as well. Heck I wouldn't have even bought the two quakes without the info I have gotten here.

Back when I used the vegi oil I only had a husky and the homelite. I sure as heck won't gonna experiment with the husky. For that matter, I wouldn't run the crap in my quakes either.
I'm thinking you thought I was calling you the goofball.. No, that was me in the example,... I cut at best occasionally,... IE, goofball. You have seen my avatar correct?, LOL..

Sorry to hear a few Quakers are leaky here, not a deal beaker for me though.. I mean if either of mine leaked. I don't set my saws on the kitchen counter so it's casual. :)

Why didn't I buy two more?

I'm thinking you thought I was calling you the goofball.. No, that was me in the example,... I cut at best occasionally,... IE, goofball. You have seen my avatar correct?, LOL..

Ok, I misunderstood you. No harm, no foul. I'm not an everyday cutter either. That's why my saw sat up long enough to gel up with vegi. If I ever do it again, I'll clean it up after I'm done, or just use bar oil.

How can you tell if it cuts better after the muff mod if you don't cut in stock form first?

I ran my 38cc quake before and after, and have seen the difference. Also, I bought 4 of the 45cc saws, 3 I had sold before I bought them. Only one guy wanted me to do the muffler mod, so the other two just had a slot put in the carb screws, and tuned in some wood.

And why would I want to run a saw and get it all dirty just to tear it apart? :givebeer:

Ok, I misunderstood you. No harm, no foul. I'm not an everyday cutter either. That's why my saw sat up long enough to gel up with vegi. If I ever do it again, I'll clean it up after I'm done, or just use bar oil.

What kind of oil did you use? I'm using canola and have seen no gelling or freezing yet.

Back