Do stihls have more torque than husqvarna in general?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well YOU were the one that said the "ONLY" way to get decent speed was a larger sprocket.
Your words ........ Not mine.

How you been lately??

Smile!!!!

Surely it was, and for good reasons! :)

To be honest, I'm not really great at the moment, still waiting for some needed surgery that was promised to happen some time ago - but I will survive!

Surely it was, and for good reasons! :)

I'm not really great at the moment, still waiting for some needed surgery that was promised to happen some time ago - but I will survive!
Sorry to hear that my friend.
Your good outlook will serve you well.
I avoided back surgery but the doc said I would be miserable for quite a while.
He was right. Lol. But it was better I. The long run.

Best of luck.

HP is the amount of work an engine or motor can provide, torque is a result of HP. HP is more important than torque. What I believe the OP felt is nothing more than than a different power band. If an engine makes it's power at say 8,000 rpm vs say 10,000rpm it will give the illusion it has more low end, when all you're really doing is operating the engine in it's power band. Now operate the engine that makes it's power at a higher rpm than pull it down too far it will seem like it's under powered, when in fact you're simply not operating the engine properly.

Makes good sense Andre! (and now I can skip the next 100 posts. :) )

This "Stihls have more torque" fable is kind of comical in the sense that you'd think the amount of knowledge on a site like this would eliminate such superstitions. Nor do I think that Huskys have "more speed".

Try taking the brand ignorance out of the discussion. Look at the pre-Xtorque 365 and 372. Different displacements yes, but the 365 transfers were designed for a lower/wider power band. I've heard plenty of guys who say that the 365 has more torque or pulls better. But the 372 clearly has more power, so why does the 365 give that impression to some guys? How they operate the saw is the most likely answer. Switching between 7 and 8 pin rims on almost any saw will create the same phenomena.

Put a tach on a MS440 and a 372XP. The 372 will sound like it's turning more RPM that the 440. It has a higher pitch.

That gives the illusion that the 372 is faster than it really is.

Don't misunderstand me though.......the 372 is a fast saw, and much faster after I stick my spinny thing in there and go Woot Woot.

I don't have any of the newer saws (after 2000 or so) but from the ones I have I get the feeling that Stihls have a wider torque band - they will not lose rpms in the cut even when things get tough.
Smaller Husqvarnas rev nicely free and when nibbling on branches, but with the bar buried the rpms easily drop to a point of no return. Comparable Stihls are not as sprite without load but have more grunt in the cut and will not bog that easily.
Husqvarnas may the the choice of professionals (also around here), but for my firewood needs I usually bring along a number of Stihls.
There are exceptions: The 162 behaves very much like the 034/036... The 346 I did not like at all. The 285 is nice but will not really do some of the things my 064 had to handle.

Sound-wise any Husk will beat a comparably sized Stihl. But sound doesn't mean performance...

I agree with youalll about the illusion of Stihl=more torque and Husky= more RPM's.
I will also raise the anti and say Stihl=better build quality is a meth that can be put to rest.

MM that cylinder cleaned up nice. Thanks for your video.

I agree with youalll about the illusion of Stihl=more torque and Husky= more RPM's.
I will also raise the anti and say Stihl=better build quality is a meth that can be put to rest.

MM that cylinder cleaned up nice. Thanks for your video.

Stihl saws often have more torque at really low rpm (that doesn't matter one bit), but the Husky saws tend to have more torque where it really counts = at the high end. If you look closely at the cylinder porting, it is easy to understand why that happens.

Dang, it really ticks me off knowing there is a saw with more torque than mine when cutting firewood. Also ticks me off knowing there are log splitters faster than mine when splitting firewood. Also makes me mad knowing my Monster Maul is not as efficient as a modern one. Also gets me when others stack there wood neater than mine. Really ticks me off knowing that the trucks I haul it in are not as powerful as the new ones. and so on..... fact is I stay mad a lot.:laugh:

Look at the pre-Xtorque 365 and 372. Different displacements yes, but the 365 transfers were designed for a lower/wider power band. I've heard plenty of guys who say that the 365 has more torque or pulls better. But the 372 clearly has more power, so why does the 365 give that impression to some guys? How they operate the saw is the most likely answer. Switching between 7 and 8 pin rims on almost any saw will create the same phenomena.

The 372xp still has considerably more low end torque than the 365 though, but of course the difference down there is smaller than at high rpm.

Anyway, it is the torque at high rpm that really counts, unless you are using a dull chain, or a saw that is way too small for the task at hand.

Troll, maybe it depends on what specific saws you are talking about, but I think if you ran my old 044 or my new 362 C-M, you would not conclude that about either of those saws. I do not bash any other brands, there are a lot of good saws out there, but I think my Stihl's are very competitive with any other brand.

In the heartland, that would be considered, "whining".
413M96E2ZFL.jpg

You have not ran any of his saws yet i take ? That monkey knows his **** ,been known to throw some too ;)

Its not worth the time to find out, it may be different in what year or model but don't go by the brand only.

Latest posts

Back