Do you have to "Break In" a new chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple of questions about posts on this thread. I've always heard that if you break in a saw (or a car) the "wrong" way, the rings won't seat. It seems to me that with continued use there is continued friction between the rings and cylinder. Why would the rings not eventually seat as with a "correct" break in? Also, I've heard (ever since I was a kid) that you have to vary the speed so all parts of the cylinder break in evenly. The piston follows the same path no matter what the speed, so what would keep one part of the cylinder from breaking in? Can someone logically put these questions to rest?

The topic has gotten some heated fights in the past, which I think is hilarious.
I am in the "Just start the saw and run it" camp.
Others actually have let the saw idle for 5 minutes when starting and when shutting it down. Something about metal expanding at different rates, or something.

The topic has gotten some heated fights in the past, which I think is hilarious.
I am in the "Just start the saw and run it" camp.
Others actually have let the saw idle for 5 minutes when starting and when shutting it down. Something about metal expanding at different rates, or something.
That's the way I do it and never had a problem. Maye seen a few stuck rings on some WeedWackers if someone run them at half throttle all day and gummed it up.

I ran about 2 tanks through my 390xp before putting on my mill. Even then I 3/4 throttled it through some cedar. I have about a dozen or so tanks through it now. Seems to run alright. I did mix more oil in than usual to be safe. Does that hurt anything?

A lot of the heat cycle, different rpm and cylinder glazing if from 4 strokes or engines with Babbitt bearings. Yes a 2 stroke can glaze a cylinder but is unlikely. Varying the rpm is for flat tappet lifters to seat in. Heat cycling is again for bearings to seat. (Supposedly. never seen the need for this either) heat in the cylinder is a good thing. You wouldn't fire your car up and flatten the gas pedal. Let the piston and cylinder get some heat in them then go cut. Cutting puts dynamic load on the ring (s) forcing them outward into the cylinder. No real need to ***** foot with it, its either gonna go or blow. Really as simple as that. A cool down period after hard use is advantageous for all engine powered equipment.
Run whatever oil you want in it. Tune it a tad rich then go run it.

My dealer starts them up, warms them up, adjusts the low speed screw, idle, then adjusts the high speed screw. He does a test cut. I take it in field and run it. The best cooling for air cooled engines is at wot.
Thats right let one idle for ten minutes and feel how hot it gets.

What about "synthetic"????
Does that make any difference??

Synthetic? Is that them new saws that sync up to your smart watch and smart phone so they can message you when they are feeling restless and want to go cutting?

I’ve had brand new 2100cd, 2101xp, 266 se, 394 xp, 575, 385 xp, older 240 Sg, never a problem just run them.

Synthetic? Is that them new saws that sync up to your smart watch and smart phone so they can message you when they are feeling restless and want to go cutting?
That last bit sounds like an ad for Timbr. "Hi, I'm Greta. I'm feeling restless and want some strong, Husky man to take me out cutting."

“Run it like you stole it” is what I have always done.

Generally start it after build, adjust idle and H on the fatter side. Shut it off, let it cool for as long as it takes to get to a log, then beat on it. I always insure it’s not lean outa the cut or in the cut.

Generally by the 3rd of 4th cut you can feel it change. It will pick up some power and sound fatter than it did. Always have felt that’s when the rings seated.

YMMV. I’ve never had a failure with this method, except for the times I made an error in assembly. I once had a Golf piston and mistook the dot matrix “G” for an “S”, like the ones present on the new Stihl slugs. I put the standard 1.2mm ring in the shítty 1.4mm golf groove. Lasted 2 cuts.

It's FAR more important to make sure the saw is tuned correctly before cutting with it than any "special" break in procedures. If the saw has mixture screws you may have to remove tabs, modify them, remove tamper proof items, etc to fine tune. This brings up some controversy about factory warranties and such, but for sure IF you run one lean from day one it's probably going to need warranty work more times than not vs the P/C lasting the life of the saw. When tuning ALWAYS er just a tad rich vs a tad lean, which can be difficult with some saws due to rev-limiting and timing-retard modules built into the coils. Although important that's a topic for another discussion.

Anyhow, make sure that it has fresh fuel and correct mix-ratio from day one. It hurts nothing to give the first tank an extra "shot" of oil but even that really isn't a deal breaker one way or the other.

Since the piston is coming to the top of the hole about 100 times a second in the cut break-in of the rings happens before you get thru your first cut in a decent size log.

What we really need to avoid new or otherwise is running lean in the cut. This does three things that can KILL the P/C. Higher than needed RPM's, not bringing in as much lubricant, and higher EGT's. I use no special "break-in" procedures here and have saws still in service dating back to the late 1970's. My 480CD for example has never been touched, not even a carb kit or fuel line replacement and is flawless. Since day one when I'm finished with them for the "season" (and I do this with all my saws) the tank is dumped while it's running and I run the carb dry pulling the choke just as the engine dies out. This gets as much of the fuel out of the saw as possible without taking it apart.

Next time you need it only takes a few extra pulls to bring it back to life, but you will never have to worry about it being all gummed up with stale fuel and the "apple jelly" this new fuel develops in a vented system.......Cliff

Back