Do You Prefer: "Full Wrap vs. Half Wrap Handlebars"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Full Wrap vs. Half Wrap Handlebars for Tree Falling

• Full Wrap

Votes: 51 47.7%
  • Half Wrap

Votes: 56 52.3%

• Total voters
Never having cut down trees on the west coast, but having the opportunity to watch a crew work through a spotting scope from my uncle's cabin in Oregon, I have nothing but respect for these guys. There isn't much they do that isn't for a good reason, except maybe get drunk on Saturday nights, LOL!

I suppose for "backbar" cutting on a 20" tree you can get by easily with it on level ground, but what about when you've got no good footing on the other side, don't want to fiddle around walking there, or just want to dig the dogs in and get through to the hinge before the tree splits?

I've been told that even if nobody gets hurt on a barber chair, sawyers out west only get a few chances before they don't get to come back.

I have one saw with full wrap, a Husky 395. I don't like it for flushing stumps or for getting at bar nuts, and it just came that way at no extra cost. If I used the saw more, I'd probably swap it out...I can only recall a couple of times that I was really gald I had it.

So pretty much not a necessity in Minnesota, you are saying. The only advantage I can see it helping for me is so i'm not at a right angle with the cut. I'm not sure how everyone cuts their back cuts, but I like to run the throttle with my right hand, just like when bucking. Maybe that's the only way. I suppose I can switch it around, use my left hand on the throttle and hold the top of the half-wrap with my right hand, but i'd have to be cutting while kneeling. Maybe I just need to get used to using the half-wrap saw.

Do you all back-cut standing behind the butt of the throttle/handle or do some of you like to be eye level with the cut to watch the kerf. I suppose it depends what size tree and what terrain. Also how tall of stump you want to leave. I'd rather be more eye level rather than guess that i'm cutting straight or on the right plane with the face cut. Does a 3/4 or full wrap help with that? Versus being at a right angle or off to the side of the tree.

Maybe I need to watch more falling videos. Can some of you who post bucking videos also take videos when you cut the tree down? Personally, I get more out of that then anything.

Last edited:
I like to run the full wrap powerheads, especially with a long bar. Most everyone around here however, views a full wrap handle saw as impractical.

For myself, the use of the top of the bar for felling is generally limited to small dia. trees and or circumstances when access to a better cutting position and or both sides of the tree is not availible. Use is best detremined by the tree, escape path, etc..

Tall, hard stuck snags tend to get a lot of back bar cuts until they hit the ground. Depends on the tension, etc..

It is easier a lot of times on small trees to pull the saw through with the front handle then it is to push the saw through with the rear. Those big spikes keep getting in the way.

Stump height for me is mostly about the escape path and tree condition. If I do not have to flush cut it while felling it I do not. I like to be able to look up without having to reposition myself when ever possible. I also do not want to have to cross over the tree any more than is absoluty needed.

I really like the fullwrap on my 372xpg, fullwrap makes it easier to handle longer bars 24" and up !

i dont like to make my cut at eye level as i dont wear safety glasses and dont like to get sawdust in my face. and about being worried with unlevel cuts that just comes with practice i dont even think about it just do it. but iv been doing this for a few years. big leaning alders are my favorite.

That says it all :hmm3grin2orange:

hm not much you can complain about with the 044 especially on the west coast cutting real trees. hows the husky puttin down your lil shrubs over there? trees out here might scare ya into getting a stihl 'ol boy

I have to say the full wrap is the most useful for me. I would rather use a full wrap on a bow or bar.

372xpw comes with a few more cc's,bigger dogs,full wrap over standard xp.(i just wanted the few more cc's for the tiny bit more $ it cost)
next day the dogs and full wrap where replaced with standard xp.
iv no use,nor desire to run a full wrap.dead space,harder to change bars slightly,and slight increase in weight for nothing id ever use.
perhaps a large 90+cc i would love full wrap when cutting the big trunks.but not for this saw.

Last edited:
those that have husky and stihl wich do you prefer better. the 3/4 stihls or full huskies. i have both and like the 3/4 wrap on the stihls better. the saw i use the most is my 044 3/4 wrap i use this saw for felling bucking and limbing

hm not much you can complain about with the 044 especially on the west coast cutting real trees. hows the husky puttin down your lil shrubs over there? trees out here might scare ya into getting a stihl 'ol boy

Nah na nah boo boo:laugh: Actually I don't call 56" oak a shrub, cub; my modded dawgs would put an azzwhoopin on those stealz lmao:cheers:

arborist.

i had the same plan to get xpw and throw a half wrap on it.

i then did a 044 project saw that had 3/4 wrap after getn thi saw running i quickly found that i realy liked the 3/4.
i later picked up 372xp that came from the factory with the full wrap. i also like this one to.

i do think half wraps are handy to. they also fit in the cab of the truck better.

i weighd the difrence of the half and 3/4 stihl wrap on my 044 and its not enough for my scale to even pick up

the 1/2-full husky wraps might be more noticable for wieght difrenc

Advantages to back barring

One of the reasons to cut with the top of the bar, which anyone who bucks from below to avoid compression wood, is to do a good job in the easiest safest manner possible.

==========

I'm cutting with the top of the bar more and more as the years go by and really sorry I had top-bar-ah-phobes for instructors earlier.

+++++++++++

This silly little belief is similar to people not eating tomatoes until the last century or so.

I had tomatoes twice yesterday.

Its OK. Shhhhh.

Time to go cut something with the top of a long bar.

those that have husky and stihl wich do you prefer better. the 3/4 stihls or full huskies. i have both and like the 3/4 wrap on the stihls better. the saw i use the most is my 044 3/4 wrap i use this saw for felling bucking and limbing

I have both and also prefer the Stihl 3/4.

Don`t have a full wrap on any of my saws. Learned at an early age how to use my saws from either side of the bar.Flat valley or slope makes no difference to me so far when out felling.
Pioneerguy600

Full wrap,,
Came with my larger saws,
didn't see a big deal until I tried on a smaller saw(MS361)
but to me it makes the saw handle better.
If you haven't tried one you might be surprised.

I don't have to flush cut the stump, I could see where
that might be a issue.

Don`t have a full wrap on any of my saws. Learned at an early age how to use my saws from either side of the bar.Flat valley or slope makes no difference to me so far when out felling.
Pioneerguy600

Yep, and apparently I've been dropping 10's of 1000's of trees per year in the forestry for the last 3 decades all wrong coz I've been using both sides of my bar...

Yep, and apparently I've been dropping 10's of 1000's of trees per year in the forestry for the last 3 decades all wrong coz I've been using both sides of my bar...

Don't think for a second that the B.C. fallers don't use both sides of the bar,except when WCB is standing behind them.They make the fallers here use the full wrap so the powers that be can "think" that the fallers are not-and as stated before some pro's do like the way that the full wrap allows them to handle their saws.

Latest posts

Back