Do you still have the 1st chainsaw that you ran?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poplar???? It's only slightly harder than balsa......Put 20" of that torque monster in a live oak crotch and listen to the revs drop!!!! J/K.... I used to carve poplar tobacco sticks into boats as a kid. I would catch a few minutes at the barn while waiting on the next load and whittle away. I still have one I carved somewhere. Around here poplar is a nuisance tree. I have some 90 ft'rs on the farm. I keep thinking of dropping one just for fun. Maybe I'll get the 026 out and have a go.

You mean popple or tulip poplar? I have some seasoned tulip poplar that is almost as hard as soft maple to carve. I took a Windsor chairmaking class and brought some along to make the seat out of because I was too cheap to buy the pine blanks the teacher was selling. Huge mistake. Even the newbies were way ahead of me in carving their seats. I was wore out by the end of the day.

Y'all keep the stories coming, I'm enjoying this thread :msp_thumbsup:.

I don't know when my dad last ran the Mini Mac 25. I remember using it when I was 14 or 15, and unless dad loaned it to someone (he was way too trusting), it might have sat for the last 35 years. With the missing pieces it's clear that he tried to work on it at some point, and my dad was known for his failed repair efforts. Ask my mom how many things he took apart, even if they worked just fine, and then couldn't put them back together correctly ;).

No...The first saw that I personally owned was a Lombard 3A "Woodlot Wonder" Look it up on the Acres site. He calls it A Woodlot Wizzard but the manual said Woodlot Wonder. I was 11-12 and was with my father visiting a friend of his. The guy was trying to give it to my Dad who was just laughing and said he didn't need that. The saw was old then as this was like 1964-65. After we left, I begged him to go back and get it....the next day he picked it up on his way home from work....but there was a stipulation.....If I had a saw then I had to keep the cookstove supplied faithfully for my mom. That was a beast with the power products AH-47 "Depenedable Lightweight Motor"....and gear drive so it could be even slower!!! I chaffed up cords and cords of dry spruce slabs for 3-4 yrs...you know... until I discovered cars and girls!!! That saw broke down and went to the dump....Funny thing though there was one on E-bay I was watching intently a few weeks back.....it went for much more than I had to spend..but would like to stumble onto one again. Just to have...you know...:msp_wub:

I do however still have the Mac 1-52 in my sig that was my BILs saw he bought new in 1962 to cut pulp on the offshore islands but only used for 3 months and mud season hit and they never came back to the island after they boomed the winters cut up river to the pulp mill at Bucksport.

And I do have and just completed a complete rebuild on the first and only saw I ever bought new...a 49SP Jonsereds in April 1977.

The first saw I used was my father's electric Peugeot. A scary peice of s**t. I did keep it but never used it since. A few months later, I bought a used Poulan XXV. Still have and love that saw. Changed the fuel line 2 months ago and it's still a good runner. I remember cutting all my firewood with that tiny saw (30" Ash and Oak...). Surprised t still runs... Only thing I ever changed was the fuel line. Awsome saw that I will keep running all my life (no matter what).

My Husky 350. Almost sold it to fund the CAD, but glad I didnt, never could replace the first saw dad bought me :)

It and the 359 have cut alot of wood, wouldnt trade em for nothin

I bought an Echo CS-315 on 7-7 1977 for 97 bucks and still use it. My second saw 1980 was an Echo CS-60S and i still use that one also. In fact i still use almost all of them that i bought after them for the next 34 years...Bob

The first saw I ever ran was my dad's pioneer p42. He still has it and it runs like a top. My first saw was one I inherited from my grandpa, dad's dad. It is a homelite super ez and I still have it and cut with it quite frequently. Its a great running little saw and works well for limbing as its so light and easy to throw around. My main saw and only one I've ever purchased new or otherwise is my Dolkita BB. I ran it for a few years with the stock 64cc p&c and then upgraded to the 84 cc big bore kit. Its been a great saw too. Nothing like the nostalgia of the saw I got from gramps though.

Yep!

IMG_3481.jpg

Yes, I do! Craftsman/Roper 3.7-18" saw. Used it recently to help clean up some storm damage and it served me well! It was my dads saw, that i remember him getting new for his 40th B'day to cut firewood.

Me too, my Dad's 19" Deere (Remington). As written on this forum, the original photo model in Deere livery, for their first foray into chainsaws.

I still have the first saw that I ran for a significant amount of time. The VERY first saw was a Mac Eager Beaver, I got to run it for all of 2 minutes before the clutch froze right up, beyond repair, and the cost of the parts needed, dad just went out and bought the 029S, and I ran that all the next day finishing the job the beaver couldn't handle...and have been attached to Stihl ever since.

attachment.php
Yep... Still in the tree... Stihl 028 wood boss. Got it when I was 12 I think... The only saw I had till I was 22.

attachment.php
The first saw I used was my father's electric Peugeot. A scary peice of s**t. I did keep it but never used it since. A few months later, I bought a used Poulan XXV. Still have and love that saw. Changed the fuel line 2 months ago and it's still a good runner. I remember cutting all my firewood with that tiny saw (30" Ash and Oak...). Surprised t still runs... Only thing I ever changed was the fuel line. Awsome saw that I will keep running all my life (no matter what).

Does it look anything like this?

The first saw I bought was a Stihl 028 Electronic Quickstop I had it for 12 -15 years before we dropped a big pine on it one windy day that was not fit for felling trees. :(

While trying to find parts to fix that saw I found this site. I put an 028 back together using some of the parts from that killed saw but it wasn't the same saw. I've since sold it to fund the cad that I also found on the site. :cry:

Nope. I had a homelite xl-12. Sold it after I got a mcculloch pro mac 700. There wasn't much of a weight difference between the two, but the power and cutting speed difference was like night and day.

My first saw was a s/h S10 I got for $20.00. I sold it to fund a Poulan 3400 to my everlasting regret.The 3400 was a great saw but I missed the old Stihl. Money in the early eighties had to stretch a long way and I could not afford two saws - food came first. I have four S10's now including this really nice one and I often wonder if my first one is among them. That is why I will keep buying them when I can.

P41907770.jpg

Al.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back