Does a lightly used MS261C (new edition) carb have any value to it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
After running only 4 gallons of gas run through my new 261 this time two years ago, I began having some issues with it at 6,000' elevation. It ran perfect at 3600' though.

Long story short... though I don't know what was wrong with it, Stihl installed a new carb and vent... free of charge. The dealer and rep were Awesome to work with!!

Anyway, the dealer gave me the original carb back and it's just sitting in my shop. I haven't a clue what could have been wrong with it... if anything, since the tank vent was also changed. And as I said prior, the saw ran perfect at 3,600'.

I'm out of the loop with these new electronically driven carbs. So my question is: Does this carb have any value to it... and if so, how much roughly should I ask for it?

Thanks!

rusty

After running only 4 gallons of gas run through my new 261 this time two years ago, I began having some issues with it at 6,000' elevation. It ran perfect at 3600' though.

Long story short... though I don't know what was wrong with it, Stihl installed a new carb and vent... free of charge. The dealer and rep were Awesome to work with!!

Anyway, the dealer gave me the original carb back and it's just sitting in my shop. I haven't a clue what could have been wrong with it... if anything, since the tank vent was also changed. And as I said prior, the saw ran perfect at 3,600'.

I'm out of the loop with these new electronically driven carbs. So my question is: Does this carb have any value to it... and if so, how much roughly should I ask for it?

Thanks!

rusty
You may have an obsolete part in the old carb and the carb was changed due to a "hidden" warranty. M-tronic has been "updated" almost continuously since inception to solve issues and increase durability/reliability.

@DND 9000 might be able to help you out if you provide more info on your old carb like photos / part numbers.

The best way to prevent issues with this (or any other) carb is to NEVER store the saw with fuel in it and ALWAYS run the carb dry before storage.

I took this pic before I posted but forgot to add it to the post. I can get more pics later, if anyone wants.

DSCN0791.JPG

Possible that they gave you the latest carburetor with the white solenoid valve. What C1Q carburetor do you exactly have? The number is in the oposite Site of the solenoid valve.

Thank you for the numbers. It`s a older version carburetor 1141/30 (C1Q-100362A) with the black solenoid valve. I would keep this as a spare part. Good that your saw runs now. I think they also put in the orange finer pickup body in the tank. That`s good and standart since some years. Good that everything works now.

I'd say that the saw needs to be correctly calibrated for the elevation you are working at
The M tronic isn't bullet proof, but is workable. Could also have your dealer put it on the MDG test, see if everything checks out.

I'd say that the saw needs to be correctly calibrated for the elevation you are working at
The M tronic isn't bullet proof, but is workable. Could also have your dealer put it on the MDG test, see if everything checks out.

Thanks but check out my original post. The carb was replaced and the saw has run perfect ever since, regardless of elevation.

M-tronic can compensate for elevation. Don't know if it needs to be calibrated at each elevation. Someone else can answer. HOWEVER, M-tronic CANNOT compensate for OLD fuel that has lost its cooling volatiles. A cylinder head temperature sensor would fix this but would likely cost too much money.

You can still burn one up using old fuel. Might even be easier since these run on the edge between rich/lean.

M-tronic can compensate for elevation. Don't know if it needs to be calibrated at each elevation. Someone else can answer.

It calibrates itself after a few seconds of cutting at wide open throttle. Has worked really well for me alternating between 3600' and 6000'...in the heat or snow.

The solenoids usually go before the carbs do. IDK, I’d say it’s kinda worthless as it seems it didn’t run right with that carb.

I‘d swap out the fuel filter with the new orange one now if you can. One of the issues with the new (white) solenoid was fine particulates jamming the solenoid. The orange filter filters to a smaller micron than the old white ones. All the new MT stihls come with the orange now.

Back