Does anyone else find it amazing how many people simply cannot sharpen a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does that Power Sharp do with RSC or just in general??

PowerSharp has to be used as a 'system'. The sharpener only works with PowerSharp chains.

You can't sharpen conventional chains with it, and you can't sharpen PowerSharp chains by hand.

More info/details in the PowerSharp threads or on its website.

Philbert

Another plus on the power sharp system is that you can buy just the chain and stone.
The stone just clips in the cartridge.
An whole 18" power sharp system is $35 and the replacement chain and stone is under $25. Time saving and very economical.

I've never attempted to sharpen a saw :confused:.

The results of my efforts to sharpen chain saw chains have been mixed.

You and me both.

Get yourself a cheapo Harbor Freight grinder. Takes the by guess and by gosh out of chain sharpening for a minimum expenditure for us 'file challenged' operators.

et yourself a cheapo Harbor Freight grinder. Takes the by guess and by gosh out of chain sharpening for a minimum expenditure for us 'file challenged' operators.

I tried one of those and it went back. It worked good enough but was never great just too much play in that grinder assembly for me. My chains were "OK" but never great or like new. I am trying the northern tool grinder for just a little bit more and also a granberg jig. I need to learn a little more but I am after great chains not "OK"

Learn how to apply it. For instance, why does it amaze you how many people can't do a simple two-step act of putting an edge on and setting the rakers on a saw chain? What is the value of reflecting on the performance of misfits? What did you learn from the failures you are experiencing all around you? Instead, learn from some one who does things better than you. If you've mastered chain sharpening, demonstrate.

And from which of my posts did you gather that i was reflecting on the performance of misfits? I was simply stating that of all the chainsaw users in the world, both homeowner and pros, one would assume that the majority of them could hand file a saw chain. I honestly could care less if any particular person could in-fact hand sharpen a saw chain. On another note, there are at least 100 videos on youtube demonstrating how to hand file saw chain. There are picture descriptions on file kits, and on saw chain boxes that give a pretty good indication of how the simple task is performed. The only reason a particular person can not sharpen chain by hand is because they have not applied themselves. I had an expert show me hundreds of times, but i still had to mis-sharpen about 100 chains to actually grasp the concept.

It is more logical to carry a file around in the woods, then ten extra chains.

And from which of my posts did you gather that i was reflecting on the performance of misfits? I was simply stating that of all the chainsaw users in the world, both homeowner and pros, one would assume that the majority of them could hand file a saw chain. I honestly could care less if any particular person could in-fact hand sharpen a saw chain. On another note, there are at least 100 videos on youtube demonstrating how to hand file saw chain. There are picture descriptions on file kits, and on saw chain boxes that give a pretty good indication of how the simple task is performed. The only reason a particular person can not sharpen chain by hand is because they have not applied themselves. I had an expert show me hundreds of times, but i still had to mis-sharpen about 100 chains to actually grasp the concept.

so what exactly is the purpose of this thread then?that you can sharpen a chain and the majority of us cant ?and that those who choose to have someone else sharpen their chains are lazy(i mean have not applied themselves)?

OR...

Save yourself some time buy a power sharp

Took me a while to finally get the knack for it.

If someone were to ask me how to, I would just say, use the file recommended on the saw chain box, use a file with a guide to help you until you get the hang of it, and most important- your possibly going to ruin a chain(or two) just getting the hang of it.. But you will get it, get over it- and get to learning.

I like to mod things for better performance. A chainsaw is a CUTTING tool, thus I want it to cut well. I don't like dull knifes and I don't like dull chains, heck I don't like a chain right out of the box, I like to clean up the manufacturing nicks and rework them to get a bit more performance. I can also tune the chain for the wood I'm cutting.

It's the old saying of 'horses for courses'. Some people just want a chain that 'works'. Others want a chain that zips through the wood.

After trying my chains, I ended up teaching two people how to sharpen. I'm sure neither will go back to their old ways, they're hooked on the extra performance. Perhaps that's what needs to happen to some wood cutters, put on a well sharpened chain and test the difference, then decide whether they want to spend the extra time to learn a new skill.

so what exactly is the purpose of this thread then?that you can sharpen a chain and the majority of us cant ?and that those who choose to have someone else sharpen their chains are lazy(i mean have not applied themselves)?
i believe the original post stated....

"i guess i dont really have a point, just useless banter."

I don't get the cutter length perfection thing? I have sharpened my own chains by hand for 20 years and at least five of them right. Not really, I cut a lot of knock down/dirty as you can get Shaggy Bark Juniper and it will tear up a chain. When I started, my chains would pull to the left after I sharpened, then I thought about being right handed? I started pulling the file with the opposite hand as I filed instead of pushing it across the tooth and all of my cuts were faster and straighter. As for all of the cutters being the same length, mine vary all the time, but have the same angle--- if you have a semi-skip chain then you are cutting with the same chain as I am. I will even use a smaller file in the upper corner of a nicked cutter to get a sharp edge until the other cutters catch up.

Your chain will still cut with uneven cutters. It just will not be as smooth.

As you file/grind the cutters back you also reduce the cutter height and the side projection. With conventional saws, this is known as 'jointing' (getting all the teeth the same height, or to fit along a desired arc), and 'setting' (which establishes the kerf width and bar/blade clearance) the teeth.

Philbert

"I will even use a smaller file in the upper corner of a nicked cutter to get a sharp edge until the other cutters catch up."

Now there's something I've never tried. Thanks, I'll give that a go.

That ebay ad cracks me up. A chunk of stick on a used file? Get enough money to always have new files in the saw box. Bet someone will buy them.

I tried one of those and it went back. It worked good enough but was never great just too much play in that grinder assembly for me. My chains were "OK" but never great or like new. I am trying the northern tool grinder for just a little bit more and also a granberg jig. I need to learn a little more but I am after great chains not "OK"

There are at least a couple of threads here on AS that give details on cheap & easy ways to 'tight up' the cheapo Harbor Freight grinders (the cheapo grinders are sold under several different names), & most folks have been happy with the results. That said, the general feeling is the cheap grinders hold up OK for occasional use, but not for heavy use.

I don't get too hung up on the length of the cutters. I try to keep them close, but if one gets damaged I'm certainly not wasting the steel on the others to even it up. I go easy on the short ones until the others catch up. Heck, most of my chains have a different number of cutters on one side vs the other, or two in a row from the same side. I've never had a chain that would not cut straight. I think angle and sharpness are far more important.

Latest posts

Back