Does Anyone Have A Homelite C-9 Or C-91 To Sale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gh-85

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a little new to this site and wish I had known about it for years... Well anyway on to my question... Does anyone have or know of someone who does have one of these saws to sale by chance, and if so, how much do you want for the C-9 or C-91 Homelite saw... These saws weigh about 30+ pounds with bar and fuel and oil and most of them were metalic blue in color, but have known for some to be red and green, which I beleive were some of the color schemes of the C-9... Well get back with me as soon as possible on this...
Thanks,
Greg

Can't help on the C-9 only have C-5's. I see you really enjoy the C-series from your posts over at the garden web. I have a C-5 I restored and it cuts ok I think I need a new chain. Its slow but a little too slow. What kind of chain do you run? I'm thinking of going to 3/8" don't care too much for .404".

Where do you find your parts for these? I need a good used cylinder to get another C-5 running I have.

C-9 seems to be a rarer model in this series I find the C-5's quite often. Though not much else, they pop up on Ebay once in a while. A couple of C-7's on there right now.

Heres a pic of the C-5.

HOMELITE C-5

Yeh, I personally have two C-5's and now one of them needs a new crank-shaft, and while I'm at it I'm thinking about just replacing the piston and head also... The way I go about doing something like this is to find another junker from a local small engine shop that has just the engine with a few other parts missing, or the best way for you to go about it would probably be to get one off of ebay fairly cheap!!! I noticed that it looks like you have repainted your saw from the photo that you sent me exactly how I had repainted a few of my saws, by taping everything off and laying the paint to it, well it looks like this because you haven't quite finished it, because your decals and all of the lettering aren't on it yet... As far as your chain goes, I would reccomend a professional sharpening from your local dealer, and that will make all the difference in the world and it also looks like your running semi-chisel .404 instead of the full chisel, which I have found to make a whole whole whole lot of difference as far as how much of a bite the tooth will take in the wood and how fast it will cut, because the semi-chisel was designed to cut slow, for less kickback and it allows the saw to pull more under a load and if you decide to go with the full- chisel you'll know it because it will cut so much faster and lug the saw down a touch more... A few more people to go through for your parts are [email protected] and there are some more that I will give you later tonight who ussually might just have a few older parts like these... As far as changing your pitch, you could get a sprocket off of a XL-12 which is the same size and everything as the C-Series, maybe just a touch thinner, and put it on your C-5, but if you do that to get the 3/8 pitch you also will have to find a bar that will work on your saw and also work for you chain and oiler, which will be extremely hard... Well I hope I didn't confuse you too much and that this will work out for you and if you do change your pitch and everything, be sure to let me know what bar and everything you used so I might be able to change over to it some day myself allthough I doubt I ever will, because the .404 last longer and is a whole lot stoughter chain over all and if you go to the full chisel it'll make all the difference in the world...
Greg

MORE EMAILS

Here are the rest of the most logical emails that I have for the older vintage parts like these...
Roth
[email protected]
[email protected]
The walcott one will probably be your most prosperous, but will cost you a whole lot, esspecially if he's able to find a new one for you... Would recomend the Roth one on top of that and yes that is her actual email, you'de be surprised just what she is able to find... Well hope this goes further to help you...
Greg

I had a C-7 that was run over by a loader a while back. I'd go with GH and go with .404 full chisel chain. These saws are quite slow, but have the torque to pull .404, and then there's the trouble of getting a bar to fit at reasonable cost. Mine used a rim sprocket--no need to fish into the XL parts bin.

GH, I think that Pioneer has a good sense of chain filing. You can get a better edge that way, although it's debatable. Do you need any C series parts? I still have most of my C-7, except the housings that were crushed. That includes a crank. I believe the C-5 and C-7 only different in displacement.

HOMELITE C-7

Well I don't need any parts right now, but you never know what the future is to bring... You are right on the saws being identical... They all have the same stroke and engine size pretty much... The only difference in the saws is the size of the piston "diameter wise" and the type of jetting that the carbs all have... This is true for the original three C-Series saws "C-5, C-7, and C-9" but the rest of the C-Series saws were allso universal just amongst themselfs... What exactly was ruined on the saw??? Did you mean that the crankshaft, cylinder&piston, and all that had also been ruined or that it was in good shape??? Is the carb and everything allright??? How about the bar and chain and how long was it??? Sprocket, clutch shoes??? Oil seals, needle bearings??? How much do you want for whats left of the saw and even the parts that had been ruined if you still have them???
Greg

All the housing parts were ruined, but everything else is all right. I sold the piston/jug and starter a while back. I still have pretty much all the other parts. If you want anything in specific, I can check it out.

C-7

You wouldn't had happened to sale that over ebay by chance would ya, because I faintly remember someone who sold a C-7 piston and cylinder and I think they had mentioned something about running over the rest of the saw... Well anyway... Is the coil and carb anygood??? Sprocket, bar, chain, the part of the carb that goes into the saw "reed valve", any of this and more??? Especially the coil setup and the carb... Flywheel???
Greg

i have a c-9 coplete no bar and chain. make offer. should run.

also hae a c-5 would have to look at it to see whats there.

call 715-286-2741

later scott

What sprocket are you using? 7th or 8 th? A sprocket or rim may all you need to 'speed up' the chain
Bill

Greg,
Thanks for all the tips! It is .404 chipper chain and filed to perfection as far as I can tell. I'm good with handfiling just not used to .404. So it must be the chain, I may go to 3/8 as thats what I prefer or try some .404 chisel. Won't 3/8 .63 guage chain fit the bar? Its stellite tip of couse so no pitch problems there and I have 3 rim sprockets I've collected up. Might have to try an 8 tooth rim on there also.

Yes it is repainted I stripped it down and cleaned it up too its spotless. Would be nice to have new lettering and decals. I have to admit these C-series are my favorite Homelites as well. Its a no nonsense saw very easy to take down to nuts and bolts and get it back together good as new. Also my C-5 is the easiest saw to start I have it will fire up first pull warm or first pull cold with choke. It was a Ebay saw I got it with one for parts very cheap. Picked up a couple more too have 3 that were left outside in the rain or used for boat anchors lol. But water got in there some how and rusted up the cranks and stuck the pistons. Thats why I need a cylinder.

HOMELITE C-5

I've found the easiest way to replace the painted on decals is by getting someone to make you some exact replica stickers!!! The bar should work if you running .63 guage chain, so I wouldn't worry about that and since your using stock bar you shouldn't have to worry about the oiler not getting oil on the chain eather!!! Sounds like you've got yourself a winner and the rim sprokcet, if that what your C-5 has is completely universal with the XL-12's and the pitch will be right for your chain...
Good Luck,
Greg

C-9

Scott, just thought that I would let you know that I had emailed ya... Let me know what you think...
Greg

Actually I'm in Franklin "as in the city" NC, "Macon County" is the county, "Western NC", well let me know what it looks like and how much you want for it???
Greg

GRATEFULL11

Just wondering if you had come to a decission on what exactly you might be wanting on the C-9 that you have said that you have??? Get back with me as soon as you can...
Thanks,
Greg

Actually I'm in Franklin "as in the city" NC, "Macon County" is the county, "Western NC", well let me know what it looks like and how much you want for it???
Greg
k

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back