Dolmar 117 hoisting middle finger!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No matter how silly the answer to a problem may sound; if everything else is ruled out, it must be the most logical avenue...

So, it's agreed then, the saw is haunted and liable to turn up on the sci-fi channel. :dizzy:

I say it has more than one problem. I think the saw was killed do to lean mixture. You could have a hairline crack in the head that would explain all this. It takes 100lbs to spread the crack and you can't see it. The 150 you have this ported to - fights like all get out - till' the crack opens. You only read 100 and try again.

Sounds like an old Volvo Wagon that about took me behind the shed. X-Rays would've helped here...

Cover portions of the saw with dish soap and watch for bubbles. (BTW, let's all root for a gasket) But moving from 75# to 100# after honing says he almost covered the crack in the cylind'r wall.

New cylind'r only. My final swag.

Last edited:
New cylinder AND piston with rings too, and it may jsut run. as I said earlier, good compression is 130psi or more, which is enough for decent power.

Lawn Masters said:
New cylinder AND piston with rings too, and it may jsut run. as I said earlier, good compression is 130psi or more, which is enough for decent power.

Could you PLEASE respond with something useful and something NOT already suggested 10 times. I'm begging you.....

I recently changed it to a picture of Homer Simpson. why you folks are seeing a picture of willie still, I dont know.

I dont know what happened but I put a tablespoon of marvel mystery oil into the mystery saws spark plug hole and cranked it over several times without plug in it. I then put about a tablespoon of premix in carb cranked a few times and the sob started. warmed it up good and shut it off. went out 6 hours later and it started on first pull. you got me. it must have expanded rings for better seal.

Great news!

Here's a thought, (just a stab in the dark!)the oil got to the rings and allowed the saw to build more compression for that first firing after the hone. Running it for awhile seated the rings again. Bet you have better compression now! DOesn't matter why though, it worked!

well my friend you are not alone with your dolmar 117, have the same model plus having same problem. Has good spark good compression on my gage about 110 psi enough to make me want to throw it after pulls my wrist apart. Saw runs good for five minutes then quits will hesitate first then take off then stall. Have done all you dit including mistry oil(good stuff). Talked to a Teck some place yesterday he didn!t have much to offer but said Try directfuel into carb after it stalls, I tried this after about four hand wrenching pulls she took off for a few seconds then died. I now suspect fuel distribution problems. The tech did say to check and change fuel filter and Tank vent system.If vent is obstructed it may put tavk into a vacumn and fuel pump cannot draft fuel any longer.When I opened tank fuel fill I heard a sucking sound around the seal on cap. You need to check out vent line amidship under carborator for dirt or foreign debree .There is a section on how to clean this in your operating manual

lol Bruster

YO my friend you can also check ( atlanticpowerinc.com) or dolmarusa.com for parts look up and distributers in your area

goodday
Bruster

Latest posts

Back