Dolmar 421problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the saw back in the woods today. Intermittent high idle. It does idle down though maybe 30 seconds to two minutes . Cuts pretty good at WOT in the wood cleans up nice.after the local dealer tuned it . Just doesn't idle right . It seems to be getting a little worse each outing. I was thinking while in the woods today. Makita rep said I would have a working saw by the end of last week ,it wasn't working properly , the dealer gave me the saw and said it appeared to be fixed. I guess it must be fixed , surely they wouldn't tell me it's fixed if it's not.I guess maybe I should just run it after all who am I to second guess the Makita expert and his authorized agent.

Did yoy get a video. We could mabe help if we were able to here what its doing

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Any body able to guide him through posting the video. I did a vid once but cant remember how.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

I just got an email from my dealer , he said" Makita wants to fix the saw themselves" he wanted my address so they can send the saw directly back to me. I would think they have my address via the warranty registration. I think it's odd they haven't contacted me to inquire about the problem!

i mentioned sending it to makita several weeks ago when it appeared the dealer was a little lost. it should git tested and repaired properly at there repair center. one reason makita may want it sent in is to look at what has been done by the dealer. your dealer may not be a dealer much longer.

i mentioned sending it to makita several weeks ago when it appeared the dealer was a little lost. it should git tested and repaired properly at there repair center. one reason makita may want it sent in is to look at what has been done by the dealer. your dealer may not be a dealer much longer.
Well I hope it gets repaired properly because I really like that little saw! When it's running right it never fails to bring a smile to my face when I put it in the wood!!!!

Undoubtedly a lawyer would cost me more than the saw is worth.
Absolutely correct, but I would include your time, your fuel spent driving through the country side, expenses to have to buy another saw to cut your firewood, the potential damage with not having enough drying time a having excess chimney build up, etc. etc.

Had the saw back in the woods today. Intermittent high idle. It does idle down though maybe 30 seconds to two minutes . Cuts pretty good at WOT in the wood cleans up nice.after the local dealer tuned it . Just doesn't idle right . It seems to be getting a little worse each outing. I was thinking while in the woods today. Makita rep said I would have a working saw by the end of last week ,it wasn't working properly , the dealer gave me the saw and said it appeared to be fixed. I guess it must be fixed , surely they wouldn't tell me it's fixed if it's not.I guess maybe I should just run it after all who am I to second guess the Makita expert and his authorized agent.

You need a new dealer.

Imagine if you were a tree guy and depended on the saw every day, that dealer would have a serious problem...anxious to see what they say about this whole situation...

You have been right on trouble shooting this so far any thoughts on what the problem might be now?

I'm presently awaiting instructions on shipping. Not sure who is supposed to ship it. Dealer said he would let me know when he hears more from Makita.
I'm wondering if there is anything that the dealer might have missed or ??? during the repair.
I questioned him about the bad tune and he said he runs his at about 10000- 10500 high???
I can't figure why he had the high so rich and the low so lean . ie... 10500 high and 3500 low??????

I'm presently awaiting instructions on shipping. Not sure who is supposed to ship it. Dealer said he would let me know when he hears more from Makita.
I'm wondering if there is anything that the dealer might have missed or ??? during the repair.
I questioned him about the bad tune and he said he runs his at about 10000- 10500 high???
I can't figure why he had the high so rich and the low so lean . ie... 10500 high and 3500 low??????

I'll say it again, you need a new dealer. I bought from @fordf150, sure I have to ship to him for warranty issues but I know that he knows the saws inside and out, and furthermore is a man of integrity.

I'll say it again, you need a new dealer. I bought from @fordf150, sure I have to ship to him for warranty issues but I know that he knows the saws inside and out, and furthermore is a man of integrity.
I have been to @fordf150 shop and purchased a 5105 while the 421 has been out of commission. He is good people. It's a 2 hr drive from my home and I believe worth every minute. I'm sure if ,God forbid , I should ever need a warranty repair it will be handled properly!

Update:. 52 days since the first trip to the dealer on Feb. 20 with this saw. In the shop from 2/20- 2/25 back in the shop 3/1- 4/8 still not right. Email from dealer on 4/12 says Makita wants to fix the saw themselves.I have driven 361 miles transporting the saw back and forth to the dealer. Today I received an envelope from the dealer in the mail ,in it is a Fed Ex shipping label, no other correspondence, no instructions , just the shipping label! Ain't that special!!

Dealer should be boxing it up and mailing it not you.

Back