Dolmar 5100s question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHAS270WSM

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I AM LOOKING TO BUY A 50cc SAW. A DEALER IN MY AREA HAS SOME DOLMAR 5100S SAWS. I HAVE SEEN A LOT OF THREADS ABOUT THEM RUNNING TO LEAN A LOCKING UP. IS THAT LIMITED TO THE 5100 OR DOES THE 5100S HAVE THE SAME ISSUES. THIS IS GOING TO BE A FIREWOOD SAW. IT WILL CUT 6-8 CORDS OF HARDWOOD. I AM ALSO LOOKING AT THE NE346XP FROM DIFFERENT DEALER. WHICH WILL BE THE BETTER FIREWOOD SAW? THANKS

I AM LOOKING TO BUY A 50cc SAW. A DEALER IN MY AREA HAS SOME DOLMAR 5100S SAWS. I HAVE SEEN A LOT OF THREADS ABOUT THEM RUNNING TO LEAN A LOCKING UP. IS THAT LIMITED TO THE 5100 OR DOES THE 5100S HAVE THE SAME ISSUES. THIS IS GOING TO BE A FIREWOOD SAW. IT WILL CUT 6-8 CORDS OF HARDWOOD. I AM ALSO LOOKING AT THE NE346XP FROM DIFFERENT DEALER. WHICH WILL BE THE BETTER FIREWOOD SAW? THANKS

They will both serve you well as firewoodsaws. Better information can be given if you tell us what your experience level is, what you are thinking of cutting(lying or standing wood), etc.

Please donot use the caps lock. It is generally considered unpolite(you are screaming at us!).

Good luck and don't forget ppe!

It will be a mix of standing wood delivered wood cut from the pile and we put some in a saw buck.

As I said, they will both serve you equally well! You sound like a average homeowner fellow so I would prefer the 5105 because you can save a few $ compared to the 346. Both are equally pro build quality. I haven't used a 346 yet but it is said that it should have a minimal superior handling. I have a Makita 5000(Dolmar in the color blue) and love it. I would buy another one in a second. I got mine for a little less(and used the saved money to buy some Stihl RSC chain, the best but most exspensive) than the 346 and could care less about the so called better handling because I am a average fellow and am not cutting 24/7. The legend goes that the 5100 was set to lean("hotrod") from the factory, so going down to ~14000 rpm should aniliate the problem and still be plenty quick for all your cutting. Use quality 2 stroke oil at 50:1, or if feel better 40:1, fresh gas and never look back.

Good luck and don't forget ppe!

Agree with 7.

Main points:

- both are good choices for your uses.

- the 5100 is cheaper & will perform admirably

- make sure you set it a little richer (at least for the first 10 tanks or so) use fresh mix with good quality oil

- keep the chain sharp

- have fun & be safe.

As I said, they will both serve you equally well! You sound like a average homeowner fellow so I would prefer the 5105 because you can save a few $ compared to the 346. Both are equally pro build quality. I haven't used a 346 yet but it is said that it should have a minimal superior handling. .....

That difference is by no means "minimal", if you care at all.

I have both, and the 346xp is getting most of the use, mainly because of that difference! :givebeer:

Regarding the cat muffler, the 5105 will always have it when bought in the US, as will a late 5100S, as far as I know.

The Husky can go both ways, depending the state of Huskys "EPA score" at the time the saw was imported.

I have both, and the 346xp is getting most of the use, mainly because of that difference! :givebeer:

The difference is definitely greater than minimal, yes, but so is the cost difference. Where I live teh 346 is almost twice the price of the 5100. ($805 vs. $479).

Also, I still think usage will have an effect on how "minimal" or not the differences are. If you were using the saws day in & day out I could see how the extra comfort & acceleration of the 346 would be worth the extra money. For someone like me (and the OP who said he wanted a "firewood saw") the differences may well end up being minor. I dont own a 346 but Ive used my friend's a few times. Definitely has nice bite, but I dont think its enough of a difference that I would shell out the amount of money vs. my 5100.

No question if they were the same price (or close) id go with the 346 every time.

Last edited:
The difference is definitely greater than minimal, yes, but so is the cost difference. Where I live teh 346 is almost twice the price of the 5100. ($805 vs. $479). .....

Yes, the Canadian price picture is more than just a bit odd! :bang::bang:

Yes, the Canadian price picture is more than just a bit odd! :bang::bang:

I think its more the case of the husky being where it should be (more regulation from Husqvarna) and the Dolmar dealers being more willing to lower the price (less fixed by Dolmar). I know there are some dealers that retail the 5100 for closer to $600 here, which obviously is a bit more in line with the 346.

Regarding the cat muffler, the 5105 will always have it when bought in the US, as will a late 5100S, as far as I know.

The Husky can go both ways, depending the state of Huskys "EPA score" at the time the saw was imported.

Trap layed. Trap sprung. Thanks SawTroll! I was just waiting for you to come around.

:clap: :cheers:

As I said before. The price difference will give away a lot of points, for me at least. I can get a Dolmar 7900 for the price of a Husqvarna 346 over here. :dizzy: So whatever the 346 wants to be, it won't for that price! As for what JustinM said
Also, I still think usage will have an effect on how "minimal" or not the differences are. If you were using the saws day in & day out I could see how the extra comfort & acceleration of the 346 would be worth the extra money. For someone like me (and the OP who said he wanted a "firewood saw") the differences may well end up being minor. I dont own a 346 but Ive used my friend's a few times. Definitely has nice bite, but I dont think its enough of a difference that I would shell out the amount of money vs. my 5100.
I believe he hit the nail on the top!

Don't forget your ppe!

another option

If you don't mind a little more weight and more HP for a firewood saw,
Baileys is offering the Mak/Dolly 64 cc delivered in the US for
< $500 US, Dolmar made, just teal green, can be upgraded
later after warranty expires to more CC with a big bore kit.

The Makita/Dolmar 6400 will blow away any 50cc saw!

Actually, yes this is a great suggestion at a cost about 1/2 way between the 2.

I have both the 6401 and 5100S. The 6401 is a much bigger, heavier saw. Nice for the power, but I only use the 6401 for felling and bigger rounds. The 5100S does 80% of my cutting because it is fast and light, and cuts just fine up to about 14-16" diameter rounds.

I've never used a 346xp, but from reading about it here, the 5100S may have more power for the larger rounds you would want to make firewood. Seems like the 346xp is made to be a fast, nimble limbing saw, and does very well for that...

Opinions from those with both...which is better as an all around firewood saw?

I have both the 6401 and 5100S. The 6401 is a much bigger, heavier saw. Nice for the power, but I only use the 6401 for felling and bigger rounds. The 5100S does 80% of my cutting because it is fast and light, and cuts just fine up to about 14-16" diameter rounds.

True, but if you could only have one of them, would you pick the smaller?

Most (80%) of what I cut is 16" or smaller, so most of the time Im happy with my 5100 or one of my 62cc saws.

I've never used a 346xp, but from reading about it here, the 5100S may have more power for the larger rounds you would want to make firewood. Seems like the 346xp is made to be a fast, nimble limbing saw, and does very well for that...

Opinions from those with both...which is better as an all around firewood saw?

:notrolls2: but if you must, this is by far the best post yet....Well said!

Latest posts

Back